The Student Room Group

Weight gain due to revision & low carb diet

will a low carb diet be a problem memory wise, it is hard to stay motivated if your starting to look worse
Reply 1
Your brain prefers simple sugar molecules glucose to be specific and when the brain doesn’t get glucose, it gets crabby and distracted. Since the body most easily creates glucose by metabolizing carbohydrates, it stands to reason that limiting carbohydrates could dampen cognitive function.
What are you saying? That going low carb will make you gain weight?
Reply 3
Original post by bertstare
What are you saying? That going low carb will make you gain weight?

Your brain can only respire glucose. Since glucose is attained from carbohydrates, eating less carbs means that you will not be thinking at your maximum level, I presume.
But normal body cells can respire glucose and proteins and more etc, so I suppose what really matters is the calories I believe. Carbs are usually high in calories, as they are rich in energy, so having a low carb diet possibly leads to weight loss, but at the expense of a lower thinking level, I presume.

But I would scrap the low carb diet and think at my (hopefully) maximum level, personally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ΘTheta
Your brain can only respire glucose. Since glucose is attained from carbohydrates, eating less carbs means that you will not be thinking at your maximum level, I presume.
But normal body cells can respire glucose and proteins and more etc, so I suppose what really matters is the calories I believe. Carbs are usually high in calories, as they are rich in energy, so having a low carb diet possibly leads to weight loss, but at the expense of a lower thinking level, I presume.

But I would scrap the low carb diet and think at my (hopefully) maximum level, personally.

Brain can use ketones as well, not that it's particularly ideal for the regular person, but some are absolutely fine or even perform better on low carbs

Carbs are also quite low in calories
Reply 5
Brain can use ketones as well, not that it's particularly ideal for the regular person, but some are absolutely fine or even perform better on low carbs

Carbs are also quite low in calories

There are probably other factors that determine performance, such as natural skill etc, not only diet.

Well, a slice of white bread has approx. 100 calories,
and 30g of bran flaxes, with dries fruit has approx 120 calories,
and 100 g of white rice has approx. 330 calories, so on the whole, carbs have a lot of calories. What do you think?
Original post by ΘTheta
There are probably other factors that determine performance, such as natural skill etc, not only diet.

Well, a slice of white bread has approx. 100 calories,
and 30g of bran flaxes, with dries fruit has approx 120 calories,
and 100 g of white rice has approx. 330 calories, so on the whole, carbs have a lot of calories. What do you think?

4 calories per gram, as opposed to 9 calories per gram in fats. Not intrinsically high in calories, though generally they are the preferred fuel source unless in a state of ketosis
Reply 7
4 calories per gram, as opposed to 9 calories per gram in fats. Not intrinsically high in calories, though generally they are the preferred fuel source unless in a state of ketosis

Well I mean, for regular daily consumption terms. You wouldn't go and eat 100 g of butter, but you could eat 100 of rice, if you see my point?
Original post by ΘTheta
Well I mean, for regular daily consumption terms. You wouldn't go and eat 100 g of butter, but you could eat 100 of rice, if you see my point?

You could sure eat a huge amount of meat though! On bulks my fat content goes ridiculously high
Reply 9
You could sure eat a huge amount of meat though! On bulks my fat content goes ridiculously high

You could try and eat lean pieces of meat, such as turkey and chicken (minus the skin), or fish (they are high in good fatty oil).

Quick Reply

Latest