The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers...

I've been hearing a bunch of talk about unconditionals being offered to students this year. What's the likelihood of someone predicted A*AA getting an unconditional?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends which unis you're applying for. If you're applying to the right unis you'll get an unconditional - but they are only unconditional if you make that offer your firm choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
It depends which unis you're applying for. If you're applying to the right unis you'll get an unconditional - but they are only unconditional if you make that offer your firm choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applying to do Law at:
QMUL
Leeds
Exeter
Liverpool
Edinburgh
Original post by MoHoosen9167
Applying to do Law at:
QMUL
Leeds
Exeter
Liverpool
Edinburgh

Admissions would carefully vet your predicted results with your past academic record in GCSE and AS. If those results show a track record of a self motivated high achiever there is a good chance of unconditionals from certain universities and certain courses. Also, it would help if your predicted A2 grades are higher than their minimum. Basically, the universities are betting that you would achieve the grades required and there is no risk in giving you a unconditional. It is a win-win as you get to sit for your exams with less stress and the universities get the assurance of confirmed take up of their available places by qualified applicants.
Applying to do Law at:
QMUL
Leeds
Exeter
Liverpool
Edinburgh

Not sure that any of those are giving unconditionals to applicants prior to their A2 results. Have you seen any such offers from them?

Original post by GandalfWhite
Admissions would carefully vet your predicted results with your past academic record in GCSE and AS. If those results show a track record of a self motivated high achiever there is a good chance of unconditionals from certain universities and certain courses. Also, it would help if your predicted A2 grades are higher than their minimum. Basically, the universities are betting that you would achieve the grades required and there is no risk in giving you a unconditional. It is a win-win as you get to sit for your exams with less stress and the universities get the assurance of confirmed take up of their available places by qualified applicants.

Note that there is a potential downside to accepting an unconditional in that you cannot use Adjustment.
Original post by ageshallnot
Not sure that any of those are giving unconditionals to applicants prior to their A2 results. Have you seen any such offers from them?

Note that there is a potential downside to accepting an unconditional in that you cannot use Adjustment.

It should not be an issue though if the offer comes from your top choices.
It should not be an issue though if the offer comes from your top choices.

Agreed if it's from someone's top choice, but that's not going to be the case for everyone. It's a relatively minor issue but the numbers using Adjustment are increasing and just needs to be noted.
Got an unconditional from Nottingham (only if I firm it) for compsci with requirements ABB but with a prediction of A*AAA.

Basically, don't expect unconditional offers from universities with courses that have entry requirements really close to yours, or even any with A*AA requirements. Probably in most circumstances, the unconditional would be coming from your bottom one or two choices of whom I'd presume would have lower entry requirements compared to your other unis.

With what I've heard about most unis forcing you to firm them for the unconditional, it really is pointless unless you don't get any other offers apart from your unconditional. Because even if you do get an unconditional, to make use of it, you'd have to sacrifice any chances of being able to go to a better university, which would most probably be the case because only the universities lower down your choices would give you that offer
Original post by heisenburger
Got an unconditional from Nottingham (only if I firm it) for compsci with requirements ABB but with a prediction of A*AAA.

Basically, don't expect unconditional offers from universities with courses that have entry requirements really close to yours, or even any with A*AA requirements. Probably in most circumstances, the unconditional would be coming from your bottom one or two choices of whom I'd presume would have lower entry requirements compared to your other unis.

With what I've heard about most unis forcing you to firm them for the unconditional, it really is pointless unless you don't get any other offers apart from your unconditional. Because even if you do get an unconditional, to make use of it, you'd have to sacrifice any chances of being able to go to a better university, which would most probably be the case because only the universities lower down your choices would give you that offer

You do not have to decide until you have heard from all your choices right?
I am predicted A*AA and got an unconditional offer from Birmingham for History who are AAA
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I am predicted A*AA and got an unconditional offer from Birmingham for History who are AAA

Wow well done omg where else have you applied to?
You do not have to decide until you have heard from all your choices right?

that's correct

Warwick
UCL
Kings college London
Royal holloway ( insurance )

Birmingham was one of the first who started this trend 2 years back of giving out unconditionals, so they are true to form.
that's correct

What are your other choices? Where is Nottingham ranked in your list?
What are your other choices? Where is Nottingham ranked in your list?

Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham in that order

Warwick have given me an AAA offer, so I'll definitely be ignoring Nottingham's offer and making Warwick my insurance if I get an offer from my top 3. To be honest, I don't know why I put Nottingham, probably just got really nervous and put it there just in case hell broke loose and I didn't get a single offer from my other 4 :tongue:

What about you??
Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham in that order

Warwick have given me an AAA offer, so I'll definitely be ignoring Nottingham's offer and making Warwick my insurance if I get an offer from my top 3. To be honest, I don't know why I put Nottingham, probably just got really nervous and put it there just in case hell broke loose and I didn't get a single offer from my other 4 :tongue:

What about you??

Haha, unlikely not to get offers from the other universities, except Oxford which operates differently, with predictions of A*AAA. What are you applying for? Your most likely scenario would be getting offers from UCL and Bristol soon. Do you have to sit for any test for Oxford? If so, your interview offer will only come after that, but you already know that.
Got an unconditional from Nottingham yesterday, but like the others in this thread it's only if I firm it, which I'm very unlikely to do! The standard offer is AAB and my prediction are A*A*A* so quite a bit above the standard offer, which probably explains the unconditional.
Original post by Naomi12
Got an unconditional from Nottingham yesterday, but like the others in this thread it's only if I firm it, which I'm very unlikely to do! The standard offer is AAB and my prediction are A*A*A* so quite a bit above the standard offer, which probably explains the unconditional.

If I'm predicted A*AA, and my lowest uni is BBB, am I likely to get an unconditional?
If I'm predicted A*AA, and my lowest uni is BBB, am I likely to get an unconditional?

It's possible IF the universities to which you have applied have a policy of giving unconditionals to applicants yet to sit their A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending