The Student Room Group

Really unhappy in part time job - what do I do?

I'm currently in my second last year of school and I recently got a job in a restaurant as a dishwasher. On my first week I found the work fine but for some reason on the next week I just absolutely hated it and kept wishing it would be time to go home. The amount of work to do is too much for one person and I really do not like the chefs I work with. I also have to work on Friday nights and either a Saturday or Sunday and with the demands of school, I basically get no free time to myself. I genuinely feel depressed going in to work and don't know how long I am going to be able to go for because I utterly hate it.
Basically, I do want to leave the job but I fear doing this as my parents will be disappointed because I had a job as a waiter in another local Indian restaurant but I left after one shift because I wasn't given any training and was expected to know what to do. The only jobs I really want to do are in supermarkets or shop work because I would be better at these things and restaurant work isn't for me, however where I live there are very few shops. I feel really down about this. I know this isn't the most coherently constructed paragraph but I just want to know what other people would do in a situation where they hate a job so much they come home in tears after every shift?:mad::mad:
Quit. It's quite simple.
Reply 2
Original post by WILLMUSIC88
Quit. It's quite simple.

My parents and friends will think I am pathetic though.
dont like job.. parents will think your pathetic without a job..

Hmm seems simple:

Get a different job.

Dont quit your current one yet, but really really try for a better job, and just stick this one out for a few weeks more until you can secure something better..
Reply 4
Original post by fallen_acorns
dont like job.. parents will think your pathetic without a job..

Hmm seems simple:

Get a different job.

Dont quit your current one yet, but really really try for a better job, and just stick this one out for a few weeks more until you can secure something better..

There are very few jobs in the area where I live though. It's a small town. I genuinely feel like I will get depression if I stay for much longer.
Original post by sir_dazzle
I'm currently in my second last year of school and I recently got a job in a restaurant as a dishwasher. On my first week I found the work fine but for some reason on the next week I just absolutely hated it and kept wishing it would be time to go home. The amount of work to do is too much for one person and I really do not like the chefs I work with. I also have to work on Friday nights and either a Saturday or Sunday and with the demands of school, I basically get no free time to myself. I genuinely feel depressed going in to work and don't know how long I am going to be able to go for because I utterly hate it.
Basically, I do want to leave the job but I fear doing this as my parents will be disappointed because I had a job as a waiter in another local Indian restaurant but I left after one shift because I wasn't given any training and was expected to know what to do. The only jobs I really want to do are in supermarkets or shop work because I would be better at these things and restaurant work isn't for me, however where I live there are very few shops. I feel really down about this. I know this isn't the most coherently constructed paragraph but I just want to know what other people would do in a situation where they hate a job so much they come home in tears after every shift?:mad::mad:

Im sorry to hear that :frown: , its a tricky one, isnt it? So do you think you don't enjoy it because it prevents you from having free time, and you dislike your colleagues?
How many hours do you do a week?
Are you currently studying? Because I went through a phase last year where I really wanted a job, but i realised that i dont need one. I did quit jobs from two different companies due to lack of training and colleagues, etc. Perhaps you should consider whether you actually need this job, and whether youd be better off devoting your time to studying and doing what makes you happy. On the other hand, maybe working with people you dislike is something we can't always escape, so perhaps if you persevere it will help you for the future, whilst you gain experience?

I think my decision would be based on whether I need the job, and whether there are other jobs available that I would be happier in. Maybe it would be worth searching some jobs in retail etc that arent necessarily really close, but you may have to travel for.. up to an hour maybe?

And it isnt about what your family etc think. People may disagree with you or judge you for many things that you do in life, but your decisions shouldnt revolve around that, because its unhealthy and it isnt whats best for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are very few jobs in the area where I live though. It's a small town. I genuinely feel like I will get depression if I stay for much longer.

you mention atleast 2 jobs already, dishwasher and waiter? so I am confident that you can seccure work, and I am sure there is atleast 1 more opertunitiy for you out there.. so I am sure you can get it :smile:

+ if not, are there busses/transport to larger places? when I was younger one of my jobs was in the next town over, and my boss would give me a lift each day, and another of my jobs was in the nearest city, 15 miles away and a 1 hour bus ride each dirrection..

as for the depression, its 1.5 days a week right? even if its awful, I am pretty sure you can bear doing that little bit a week until you get something better..

Or just quit and then look, but then you said your parents would not be happy.. so work out which one you prefer: doing this job for a few more weeks until you find another job, or quiting and looking for another job, but dealing with your parents..

It does sound slightly like you are just looking for people to back you up that the right thing to do is quit..

Id stick it out.
Carry on until something better comes along.
Plus you havent been there long, and it may get better after a couple of weeks.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily.97
Im sorry to hear that :frown: , its a tricky one, isnt it? So do you think you don't enjoy it because it prevents you from having free time, and you dislike your colleagues?
How many hours do you do a week?
Are you currently studying? Because I went through a phase last year where I really wanted a job, but i realised that i dont need one. I did quit jobs from two different companies due to lack of training and colleagues, etc. Perhaps you should consider whether you actually need this job, and whether youd be better off devoting your time to studying and doing what makes you happy. On the other hand, maybe working with people you dislike is something we can't always escape, so perhaps if you persevere it will help you for the future, whilst you gain experience?

I think my decision would be based on whether I need the job, and whether there are other jobs available that I would be happier in. Maybe it would be worth searching some jobs in retail etc that arent necessarily really close, but you may have to travel for.. up to an hour maybe?

And it isnt about what your family etc think. People may disagree with you or judge you for many things that you do in life, but your decisions shouldnt revolve around that, because its unhealthy and it isnt whats best for you.

Thank you so much for this helpful reply. I don't enjoy the work itself, the free time thing is just an additional problem. I don't need to work for money because I have a lot saved and rarely spend it but I was keen to get work experience while at school so that when I went to uni I would have experience to get a job in a supermarket or something in retail. I am aware working with people we dislike is hard to escape, however when the chefs are both extremely rude and order me about every shift, I don't feel I can work there.
Thank you so much for this helpful reply. I don't enjoy the work itself, the free time thing is just an additional problem. I don't need to work for money because I have a lot saved and rarely spend it but I was keen to get work experience while at school so that when I went to uni I would have experience to get a job in a supermarket or something in retail. I am aware working with people we dislike is hard to escape, however when the chefs are both extremely rude and order me about every shift, I don't feel I can work there.

It's not a problem :smile:.
Okay, but perhaps getting work whilst at uni again is unessential? I think in the kind of job you're in, you're not valued as a worker, and are treated with alot of disrespect. It's clearly making you unhappy, so perhaps it's worth leaving.

The only thing I'd say is that at our age, academia is more important than a part time job. It's great that you already have money, and perhaps its worth keeping that to help you at uni, without a job on the side? But again, its up to you, and what you think would be best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending