The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university to travel ... again

Hi,

I'm getting into my second month at University after a long spell of travelling which I absolutely loved (5 months backpacking around SE Asia) and I'm really feeling a real lack of motivation towards the work, it feels quite

While I was working to save up to travel you'd be amazed at the amount of people with good degrees (1st's and 2:1's) doing minimum wage jobs like I was straight out of college, a few of my colleagues told me not to bother with uni at all! (although I'm not sure how much truth there is in that)

I'm wondering whether I should drop out this year and get some more travelling in, there's a website I stalk called workaway.com which posts placements where you can work for food and board, it looks amazing!

Thanks in advance for your replies :smile:
cant help much with the question, but don't use workaway, use Helpx.net, thats the real deal
Reply 2
I've just finished school and travelling for the year, the original plan was to take a gap year but it's sooo good that i might just leave uni for a few years!

I'm going to be using Workaway, looks decent
Considering you've already paid your tuition and accomodation fees, I would suggest focusing on your course until the summer holidays.Then you could work abroad for 3 months or so over the summer.

Boring as it may sound, I think you need to think long-term. Obviously travelling is fun, but workaway placements are usually unpaid and although some offer a small stipend, dropping out to work on a farm for free is not really a career plan. Think about where you want to be 5 or 10 years from now, and how you can make that happen. In the meantime, there's nothing to stop you taking advantage of the super-long university holidays while getting a decent education that will open more doors in the long run.
I was in the exact same position as you and I met a few people who were from Universities in Melbourne when I was travelling in Thailand. They literally dropped out of University and have been on their sixth gap year, seriously, they ended up dropping out of Uni and headed to Asia, they are embarking their next stage and heading to University. they are like 27-28 right now and they want to write books on travelling.
I doubt they really want to go back to University as they are writing so much material that will eventually get published from what I see on their FB.

I think we are just unsettled beans who want to be on the move as much as we can.
Reply 5
Original post by Notorious123
I was in the exact same position as you and I met a few people who were from Universities in Melbourne when I was travelling in Thailand. They literally dropped out of University and have been on their sixth gap year, seriously, they ended up dropping out of Uni and headed to Asia, they are embarking their next stage and heading to University. they are like 27-28 right now and they want to write books on travelling.
I doubt they really want to go back to University as they are writing so much material that will eventually get published from what I see on their FB.

I think we are just unsettled beans who want to be on the move as much as we can.

Only downside to that is that bloggers, vbloggers, writers and those trying to eek a living from it are ten a penny. How many are actually making any money.

Travel is sweet when you have earned it and it is a break from 'normal life'. Every hobby than turns into a career loses a certain shine for many, or ever will?

I spent 3 years travelling and now almost 5 years travelling for a living. It's not what it was when i first started backpacking, far from it, even when i'm on 'holiday'.

Degree not the worth the effort? I agree. But that's easy to say when i have one...and even though it is professionally useless to me, there's a fair chance that if i hit rewind on life and played the game again, i would not end up here without having gone to uni with the mindset of an invincible 18 year old. I'd be somewhere different - for better or worse - and my opinion on whether a degree is worth it or not might be very different.

Time spent travelling is gold, assuming you are in the right place in your life/mind etc to be getting something from it. Way too many hippies around who are just avoiding the real world by continuing their travels way to long.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest