The Student Room Group

Help me overcome being possessive :(

I am very possessive over a certain guy. We're not even dating, we're just friends but whenever he talks to other girls or exchanges numbers with girls a part of me dies on the inside. It frustrates me so much and I end up getting so mad and moody.
People have started commenting on how possessive/jealous I am of him :frown:
I've tried cutting him out of my life but then I get really upset thinking he's replaced me with another girl.
I really want it to stop. I need advice and please be as blunt af
Edit: I fancy this guy but the feeling isn't mutual

Scroll to see replies

Um, if the feelings aren't mutual try to forget about him?:redface:
Why not find a hobby to keep yourself busy, take a break away from a relationship.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by I Procrastinate
Um, if the feelings aren't mutual try to forget about him?:redface:
Why not find a hobby to keep yourself busy, take a break away from a relationship.:smile:

I keep trying but its not working :frown:...its getting to the stage where I am failing my exams cause I can't get him out pf my head
Original post by Anonymous
I keep trying but its not working :frown:...its getting to the stage where I am failing my exams cause I can't get him out pf my head

Does he know that you like him?

Think about how much better off you are without him! There is plenty of more fish in the sea- you may find someone later on in life! For now, focus on your exams, get the best grade you can possibly get for YOUR future. Don't stress over that boy, when you may not even have a long lasting relationship with :smile:

You could talk to him about your feelings?
Reply 4
Does he know that you like him?

Think about how much better off you are without him! There is plenty of more fish in the sea- you may find someone later on in life! For now, focus on your exams, get the best grade you can possibly get for YOUR future. Don't stress over that boy, when you may not even have a long lasting relationship with :smile:

You could talk to him about your feelings?

I can't talk to him about my feelings because we have mutual friends and previously girls who have fancied him and confessed to those feelings usually leave the friendship group cause of the awkwardness.
I dunno why I'm so possessive of him :frown:...like I start to hate him when he's with other girls. This then leads to people calling me bitchy but I'm really not, its just around situations involving him!
I need to stop caring about him but I don't know how :frown:
Reply 5
If this was a guy not liking a girl talking to other boys all the posters would have fumed at OP, calling him a misogynist etc. :u:
Reply 6
Fight it, this is never an attractive trait. Strangely the best way to win and hold on to a partner is to be completely relaxed.
Reply 7
Here you go:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hot+guys&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBGB563GB563&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ak-cVPngC5LYaqndgrAM&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

But seriously, I'd try subtly finding out what his feelings are towards you, then working with that. Oftentimes what guys say about a girl is not what they think about that girl. Asks his (best) male friends maybe?
Just tell him u like him?
Reply 9
Original post by l1lvink
Here you go:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hot+guys&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBGB563GB563&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ak-cVPngC5LYaqndgrAM&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667
But seriously, I'd try subtly finding out what his feelings are towards you, then working with that. Oftentimes what guys say about a girl is not what they think about that girl. Asks his (best) male friends maybe?

LOOOL thanks for the link :tongue:
I have asked his best male friend and he told me that his feelings towards me are 'warm' ??? and that he thinks of me as a sister :frown:
Original post by Zarek
Fight it, this is never an attractive trait. Strangely the best way to win and hold on to a partner is to be completely relaxed.

I don't know how to fight it :frown:
Original post by seventhdemon
Just tell him u like him?

I can't. It'll destroy my friendship with him and we have mutual friends so word will spread making it really awkward..
How old are you two?

Does he ever talk about girls that he likes*?

*Likes as in fancies
Original post by l1lvink
How old are you two?

Does he ever talk about girls that he likes*?

*Likes as in fancies

We're both 18 (Yr13). And he only really talks about the celebrities he fancies. I know he likes girls but he'll never talk to me about them because he's embarrassed so he confides in his guy mates
We're both 18 (Yr13). And he only really talks about the celebrities he fancies. I know he likes girls but he'll never talk to me about them because he's embarrassed so he confides in his guy mates

Him being embarrassed may be a good sign for you... In my experience guys that have girls in the 'friendzone' tend to tell them everything.

I guess your friends know that you fancy him? If so, you could see if they could ask his friends (who'm he may have confided in).
If he has told his friends (and they really care for him), they would probably tell you if asked.
I can't talk to him about my feelings because we have mutual friends and previously girls who have fancied him and confessed to those feelings usually leave the friendship group cause of the awkwardness.
I dunno why I'm so possessive of him :frown:...like I start to hate him when he's with other girls. This then leads to people calling me bitchy but I'm really not, its just around situations involving him!
I need to stop caring about him but I don't know how :frown:

Do you think he's noticed that you are possessive around him?
If so, why not try and play it cool, be relaxed around him. Being overly possessive is not cute, try your best not to show it. :redface:
Why not distance yourself a little if he doesn't have the same feelings, don't create such a distance that it affects your friendship though. :smile:
Original post by Enoxial
If this was a guy not liking a girl talking to other boys all the posters would have fumed at OP, calling him a misogynist etc. :u:

It's sad how true that is
Original post by l1lvink
Him being embarrassed may be a good sign for you... In my experience guys that have girls in the 'friendzone' tend to tell them everything.

I guess your friends know that you fancy him? If so, you could see if they could ask his friends (who'm he may have confided in).
If he has told his friends (and they really care for him), they would probably tell you if asked.

No one knows I fancy him. People have asked me if I do cause of my behaviour around him but I've always denied it.
I know 100% he doesn't like me. Say if I touch him, he'll never reciprocate. Or I'm the one who makes the first move when it comes to hugs etc
Do you think he's noticed that you are possessive around him?
If so, why not try and play it cool, be relaxed around him. Being overly possessive is not cute, try your best not to show it. :redface:
Why not distance yourself a little if he doesn't have the same feelings, don't create such a distance that it affects your friendship though. :smile:

I think he has noticed because when he's around his guy mates I'm very relaxed but if he's surrounded by a group of girls I get moody. He actually said to me you don't seem to get along with girls but thats not the case. Its only around him I behave like that.
I have begun to distance myself but can't help but think he's replaced me :frown:
I think he has noticed because when he's around his guy mates I'm very relaxed but if he's surrounded by a group of girls I get moody. He actually said to me you don't seem to get along with girls but thats not the case. Its only around him I behave like that.
I have begun to distance myself but can't help but think he's replaced me :frown:

:penguinhug: Aw.

Fight these unwanted feelings woman! The reason you're possessive is because you really like him, once you stop this, you won't be possessive.

Maybe if you were more relaxed and less possessive and then after a while ask him (subtly) whether he likes you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending