The Student Room Group

I really need a job but cant find any :(

Hey guys!
so i am looking for a job, I am 17 years old i want a part time job as i am doing my a levels.
can anyone help with where i can find part time jobs?
Thank you so much:badger:

Scroll to see replies

Write a CV
Are you going through a recruitment agency? They will find you something.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Write a CV

I already have a CV, its not very good though because I haven't completed any work experience.
Reply 4
Original post by Birkenhead
Are you going through a recruitment agency? They will find you something.

No I haven't, do you know any good agencies please?
Thnaks
Original post by Chahara
I already have a CV, its not very good though because I haven't completed any work experience.

Skills? Interests? Current qualifications?
Reply 6
Skills? Interests? Current qualifications?

Done all that :smile:
people just want work experience :frown:
which I haven't got.
Original post by Chahara
No I haven't, do you know any good agencies please?
Thnaks

Google for them in your area.
Original post by Chahara
Done all that :smile:
people just want work experience :frown:
which I haven't got.

Then find work experience. Employers aren't ready to part their money with someone who's never been employed before.
Reply 9
Original post by Birkenhead
Google for them in your area.

Alright then, Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 10
Then find work experience. Employers aren't ready to part their money with someone who's never been employed before.

Alright then, thats what i need, but i dont know where to actually find any :frown:
Thanks
Employers aren't ready to part their money with someone who's never been employed before.

You must see how impossible that is
Depends on your location, how far you're willing to travel, what jobs you're willing to do etc.

I got my first job at 16 (all of five months ago), with no work experience and no CV (filled in an application form). However, it comes at the cost that I now have to get up at 5;45am every Saturday morning for £4.35 an hour, but that's how willing I was for work.

Many of the people I know got jobs at 16/17 in supermarkets without previous work experience, but some of them had to apply 3/4 times. Just keep trying.
do some volunteering or something
Reply 14
Original post by loperdoper
Depends on your location, how far you're willing to travel, what jobs you're willing to do etc.

I got my first job at 16 (all of five months ago), with no work experience and no CV (filled in an application form). However, it comes at the cost that I now have to get up at 5;45am every Saturday morning for £4.35 an hour, but that's how willing I was for work.

Many of the people I know got jobs at 16/17 in supermarkets without previous work experience, but some of them had to apply 3/4 times. Just keep trying.

Oh okay, thank you for all that information really helped :biggrin:.
I normaly just apply for 2 and then just give up because i never get any responses Lol.
But now i will keep applying untill someone actually contacts me telling me i got the job or even an interview.
Lol.
what kind of job was it to just fill in an application form?
:smile: Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by stirkee
do some volunteering or something

I was thinking of that, but with starting these a levels everything is so stressful i dont really have time to be volunteering in a charity shop and wasting hours of time.
However i wouldnt mind a weekend job or even just a saturday job if it ment making money as i really need to save up for uni and just need the money.
Thanks though i will see how it goes :smile:
Original post by Chahara
I was thinking of that, but with starting these a levels everything is so stressful i dont really have time to be volunteering in a charity shop and wasting hours of time.
However i wouldnt mind a weekend job or even just a saturday job if it ment making money as i really need to save up for uni and just need the money.
Thanks though i will see how it goes :smile:

but if you say you're not getting a job because you've got no experience then perhaps volunteering is the way forward

perhaps you're being picky? are you literally applying everywhere or just a select few places where you really want to work?
Reply 17
Original post by stirkee
but if you say you're not getting a job because you've got no experience then perhaps volunteering is the way forward

perhaps you're being picky? are you literally applying everywhere or just a select few places where you really want to work?

I am applying for jobs that are actually suitable for my needs and my qualifications, which i cant find many for xD.
maybe i am just picky then lol.
It took me the longest time to find a part time job while I was at school. I really sympathise. Here are some suggestions...

- local catering/service company. These hire lots of people, many college/university students
- ask around family friends or friends of friends, post on facebook if need be. I got my first job by replying to a facebook post my friend made about a family friend looking for people to work for them
Reply 19
Original post by fabulasmic
It took me the longest time to find a part time job while I was at school. I really sympathise. Here are some suggestions...

- local catering/service company. These hire lots of people, many college/university students
- ask around family friends or friends of friends, post on facebook if need be. I got my first job by replying to a facebook post my friend made about a family friend looking for people to work for them

Thank you so much for that!
I think i will start asking family ad friends it sounds like a good idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending