The Student Room Group

What do you make of a girl dressed very conservatively?

I just like dressing very conservatively or formal, I tend to look as though I'm off to some meeting or something probably because I wear a lot of black idk. I like wearing long dresses that are just above or below the knee and I'll wear those summery kimonos or cardigan with it then opaque tights and ballerina pumps or calf boots. My coat is also just below the knee and is like a long blazer. For makeup I'll just wear a bit of red lipstick and go simple on the eyes. For jewellery I like to wear pearl studs or dangly silver earrings, necklaces, rings all that. Would you think I'm just some prude or a high maintenance girl or something?

My friend commented the other day that when he saw me, I just gave off the impression I wasn't interested in anything romantic and he could get nowhere with me physically because I seem reserved. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I just like dressing very conservatively or formal, I tend to look as though I'm off to some meeting or something probably because I wear a lot of black idk. I like wearing long dresses that are just above or below the knee and I'll wear those summery kimonos or cardigan with it then opaque tights and ballerina pumps or calf boots. My coat is also just below the knee and is like a long blazer. For makeup I'll just wear a bit of red lipstick and go simple on the eyes. For jewellery I like to wear pearl studs or dangly silver earrings, necklaces, rings all that. Would you think I'm just some prude or a high maintenance girl or something?

My friend commented the other day that when he saw me, I just gave off the impression I wasn't interested in anything romantic and he could get nowhere with me physically because I seem reserved. :confused:

Yeah I literally don't know what half of those things are. I don't see a problem with whatever a lassie wants to wear, and amount of skin she's showing makes no difference to me.
I prefer it but I get the whole prudish thing.
Nothing wrong with dressing conservatively, although I would be inclined to agree with your friend that it could potentially give off the impression that you're not interested? Doesn't really give the WOW factor perhaps to the majority, although saying that, there are men out there who do like women dressed in such manner.

IMO keep doing you, dress how you want and someone somewhere will like you for you, and not putting on a false pretense to try and attract someone of the opposite sex.
Reply 5
Original post by dead sheep eater
I prefer it but I get the whole prudish thing.

Yeah I can see where he's coming from to be honest. I'm not a prude and I AM interested in relationships so I'm giving off the opposite signals I guess.
I think I'd assume she wasn't receptive to advances. If she flirted with me I'd be as receptive as if she dressed differently though, so I'd say if you want to dress like this and meet guys, you'll probably have to be proactive.

I wouldn't be able to judge you accurately without knowing how you carried yourself in person. I'd guess and say that you must be intelligent, responsible, classy and decent. However such look could also ooze smugness, arrogance, prudish depends on the person though.
OP, random Q, but what colour is your coat?
Reply 9
Original post by DancinBallerina
Nothing wrong with dressing conservatively, although I would be inclined to agree with your friend that it could potentially give off the impression that you're not interested? Doesn't really give the WOW factor perhaps to the majority, although saying that, there are men out there who do like women dressed in such manner.

IMO keep doing you, dress how you want and someone somewhere will like you for you, and not putting on a false pretense to try and attract someone of the opposite sex.

Thank you. I mean my mum actually said something to me the other day like 'you don't have to cover everything up so much you know' but I just like the look of long dresses, long coats, everything looking perfect, it just makes me feel more put together really. I just don't want to look all unapproachable and give off the wrong vibes. I hope I can find someone who likes the conservative look. :tongue:
Wife material , decent woman, perfect example for the future generation.
Original post by Akaribatwa
Wife material , decent woman, perfect example for the future generation.

ahaha thank you. :smile: The thing is I'm only an 18 year old girl and these clothes probably make me look about 25!
OP, random Q, but what colour is your coat?

It is black , I've just linked 3 images a few posts down of the types of coats I wear. I also have other colours like dark red, navy etc but black is my favourite and most worn!

Current coat:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI1MFgxMjUw/z/EDsAAOSwuMFUhzl9/$_57.JPG

I'd just wear that with some boots and that's my look done.
ahaha thank you. :smile: The thing is I'm only an 18 year old girl and these clothes probably make me look about 25!

It's okay I am 18 and people in my uni they call me uncle , because of the way I dress lol.

Women of older days were elegant, with a class. Women of today are just epitomes of selfishness. The women of today have lost everything, their morale, values, integrity and those few who have it, they are the ones whom I love. Females get respect because of their good deeds, good behavior, good manners, patience as a house wife, values to the next gen. etc.not because they are girls , the few decent one like you are god gift.
Thank you. I mean my mum actually said something to me the other day like 'you don't have to cover everything up so much you know' but I just like the look of long dresses, long coats, everything looking perfect, it just makes me feel more put together really. I just don't want to look all unapproachable and give off the wrong vibes. I hope I can find someone who likes the conservative look. :tongue:

I can tell you now by having a few dresses which aren't long, i.e slightly above the knee/to the knee, you will not be seen as giving off the wrong impression. It is dresses which literally just about cover the arse is what will give off the wrong impression!

I would be inclined to say ditch the black or mix it up with a few accessories, i.e. bright coloured scarves - I have a black coat which is just above knee height, and I very seldom wear it because it's black which I find washes me out and also has an impact on my mood. I now have a blue coat which goes in at the waist, but finishes just above the knee and it's a very striking colour, catches the eye. I have had soo many compliments on it, even from random blokes I have never met before.

I am not saying go out and revamp your entire wardrobe, just perhaps add a 'pop of colour' here and there to what you already have :smile:
I can tell you now by having a few dresses which aren't long, i.e slightly above the knee/to the knee, you will not be seen as giving off the wrong impression. It is dresses which literally just about cover the arse is what will give off the wrong impression!

I would be inclined to say ditch the black or mix it up with a few accessories, i.e. bright coloured scarves - I have a black coat which is just above knee height, and I very seldom wear it because it's black which I find washes me out and also has an impact on my mood. I now have a blue coat which goes in at the waist, but finishes just above the knee and it's a very striking colour, catches the eye. I have had soo many compliments on it, even from random blokes I have never met before.

I am not saying go out and revamp your entire wardrobe, just perhaps add a 'pop of colour' here and there to what you already have :smile:

Thank you for the advice! I think it's time to get all of my old floral scarves out that I put off wearing for no particular reason. :tongue: I'll mix it up by wearing some tan boots or something too so my whole outfit isn't just black everything.
It's different but there's nothing wrong with it. I find myself more drawn to girls who either dress casually or conservatively.
Fine. Everyone's different.
I would prefer it personally, everyones different and have their own preferences, just don't let society dictate how you dress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending