The Student Room Group

Is 21 too young to live together?

Hey, so my girlfriend and I are planning on living together in a few months and we'll both be 21. I'm a student and she's moving from mainland Europe to live with me. I'm really excited and it should be great. What do people feel about moving in at this age and has anybody done it?

Scroll to see replies

I got married at 21
I know quite a few people who have done it younger. One of my friends was 19 when she moved in with her boyfriend and baby, I'm guessing different circumstances but they seem to be making it work. Good luck to you both.
My parents were married with a child and a house at 21. They're still together 34 years and 2 more kids later.
No, provided you both understand the severity of the commitment and are being responsible with your finances etc.
I wouldn't move in too early, you may kill the spark in your relationship as you get too used to each other and always seeing each other
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I got married at 21

Original post by Add!ction
My parents were married with a child and a house at 21. They're still together 34 years and 2 more kids later.

Ideal back in the days but not in 2015...
I actually met my boyfriend by living with him. We had a mutual friend and ended up living in the same shared house in my 2nd year at uni. In my 4th year (so aged 21) we lived together in a flat just for us. We are still together after 6 years.
Reply 7
We're not to judge on here, so if you think it's a good idea, go for it.
Original post by bittr n swt
I wouldn't move in too early, you may kill the spark in your relationship as you get too used to each other and always seeing each other

"back in the days" ?! How old do you think I am?! I got married in 2005 - I'm not that old for goodness sake!
Reply 9

Eh?

So getting married, pooling resources or owning your first house by 21 isn't ideal?

To the OP: It's not your age you should be focusing on, it's the length of the relationship. Saying that, it certainly does give you all the insight you need when you live together.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm 19 and moving in with boyfriend this summer, you just need to talk about it together and make sure you both think you're ready to live with the other. Make sure you think about everything living together entails.
I think you'll be fine. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, at least you'll know it early on.
Original post by A5ko
Eh?

So getting married, pooling resources or owning your first house by 21 isn't ideal?

To the OP: It's not your age you should be focusing on, it's the length of the relationship. Saying that, it certainly does give you all the insight you need when you live together.

Not to me. Way too early, I don't want to be restricted early on.
Reply 12
Not to me. Way too early, I don't want to be restricted early on.

So what age would you believe to be ideal?
Original post by MrBean1994
Hey, so my girlfriend and I are planning on living together in a few months and we'll both be 21. I'm a student and she's moving from mainland Europe to live with me. I'm really excited and it should be great. What do people feel about moving in at this age and has anybody done it?

How long have you been together? If you feel the time is right, then sure go for it. Do you have a place already sorted out? How will you be paying for rent and food if you're a student and does she have a job lined up if she's relocating? Do you have a job that can cover expenses for both of you? Sorry for the questions, but you don't want to rush into things if you can't manage if you know what I mean? It is perfectly normal to move in at 21 though, if you got things under control, go for it!
As long as your happy and safe I personally don't see an issue with living together at that age :smile:
Original post by A5ko
So what age would you believe to be ideal?

Mid twenties as you'll be looking to settle down. Of course I accept it's different for everyone.
Original post by MrBean1994

I would say that this is fine.

You need to think about are how you are going to sort the household finances.

You also need to be ready to be tolerant of each other habits and ways of doing things, so that you don't fall out over tiny things that really don't matter.
I got married in 2010 when I was 21. I had previously lived with an ex ( age 17 ) and had been living with my now husband since I was... 18 I think.

It just depends on the relationship. I would mention that you are going to change A LOT between the ages of say 18 - 25 but if you've stayed together for a few years you should be fine.

Also, always remember, it doesn't have to be forever. You can still move on and change your living circumstances, I wouldn't be put of making life decisions because you are worried about what could happen :smile:

I disagree, it's about the people not the time. Every generation has it struggles.
Reply 19
Way too young, OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending