The Student Room Group

If i change courses will it be immediate?

I am currently doing Architecture but i have decided that this isn't what I want to do and i want to change to Marketing or Business in general. Will the transfer be immediate or will i have to wait till September? And if i have to wait till September do I continue with Architecture for the time being or drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The two subjects are totally different and it's unlikely that you could catch up on entire term's work. The most likely scenario is therefore that you would have to start your new course from the first year, next September. You would have enough Student Finance entitlement left to do that.

As for whether you should stay where you are until the end of the current year, that depends on your circumstances. If you're in uni accommodation, you have probably signed a contract up to the end of the year.Some will let you out of the contract if you can find another student to take over. However if you can't, or your contract doesn't allow it, then you will be liable to pay rent to the end of the academic year even if you don't live there (and you won't be permitted to stay on if you're no longer a student). Your Student Finance will stop as soon as you leave, meaning that you would have to pay any future rent from your own pocket. You would also be expected to pay back your SF Maintenance Grant (if you had one) immediately.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
The two subjects are totally different and it's unlikely that you could catch up on entire term's work. The most likely scenario is therefore that you would have to start your new course from the first year, next September. You would have enough Student Finance entitlement left to do that.

As for whether you should stay where you are until the end of the current year, that depends on your circumstances. If you're in uni accommodation, you have probably signed a contract up to the end of the year.Some will let you out of the contract if you can find another student to take over. However if you can't, or your contract doesn't allow it, then you will be liable to pay rent to the end of the academic year even if you don't live there (and you won't be permitted to stay on if you're no longer a student). Your Student Finance will stop as soon as you leave, meaning that you would have to pay any future rent from your own pocket. You would also be expected to pay back your SF Maintenance Grant (if you had one) immediately.

Sorry i forgot to say that I'm living at home and commute to University, so the accommodation is not relevant to me. Also, i have got the student loan but not my maintenance grant yet. So with this information do you think I should just continue with Architecture till end of year even though I don't like it, or just drop and wait till September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It will depend on a number of factors. Which year you're in, which university you attend and whether the switch is internal or to another university. Best course of action is to speak with your tutor.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
The two subjects are totally different and it's unlikely that you could catch up on entire term's work.

What if I could and i explain that when asking to transfer? I mean to say, i could always put in extra effort to catch up can't i?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Aston University
It will depend on a number of factors. Which year you're in, which university you attend and whether the switch is internal or to another university. Best course of action is to speak with your tutor.

I'm in the first year. I thought it would be a rather quick procedure due to the fact that only 1 semester has passed? Is that too late or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
I'm in the first year. I thought it would be a rather quick procedure due to the fact that only 1 semester has passed? Is that too late or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll be a far easier switch being a first year student, normally the grace period is about 6 weeks for a switch though rather than the full 14 weeks of term. Unfortunately though, no one of this forum can give you a direct answer, you need to speak to your university.
Reply 7
It'll be a far easier switch being a first year student, normally the grace period is about 6 weeks for a switch though rather than the full 14 weeks of term. Unfortunately though, no one of this forum can give you a direct answer, you need to speak to your university.

Thanks i will speak to the Admissions at my uni. What is a grace period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Thanks i will speak to the Admissions at my uni. What is a grace period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The time of being able to switch with no complications. As you've completed one teaching period at your university you may be asked to start again in October or asked to gain an extra amount of credits by completing extra modules relevant to your course.
Reply 9
The time of being able to switch with no complications. As you've completed one teaching period at your university you may be asked to start again in October or asked to gain an extra amount of credits by completing extra modules relevant to your course.

Ohh ok. So that the first part of my question answered but I don't know whether I should continue Architecture until i move or should I drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Ohh ok. So that the first part of my question answered but I don't know whether I should continue Architecture until i move or should I drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's totally up to you, you may take a new module this year that really heats up your passion for the subject again. You need to speak to your university though, they may allow you an immediate transfer this year with a few conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending