The Student Room Group

Events Management Help!

Hi :smile: I'm interested in studying Events Management at uni either next year or the year after and just want some advice on the best unis to study this course at.

Have had a keen interest in the events industry for a long time and want to pursue this as a future career. Would love to hear from people that are currently studying events management or a similar course or have done in the past and also to tell me about the uni they are studying at. I want to study at a uni that provides loads of opportunities for work experience and placements as well as study to get some real industry experience.

Looking forward to hearing from you all :smile:
Hi there,

My name's Bradley and I’m a third year placement student at Bournemouth University studying Events Management.
Like yourself, I was really interested in events a long time before starting at university and I spent a lot of time researching all of the different institutions that offered the course. Having already completed two years at Bournemouth, I can tell you that choosing BU was the best decision that I've ever made!

Considering that events is a relatively new discipline at undergraduate level, Bournemouth has become a frontrunner in providing a well-rounded events course which is also complimented with a MSc course if you want to continue at postgraduate level. The town has a real students buzz and there’s always plenty going, including some brilliant events. Bournemouth Air Festival for example is a fantastic opportunity for you to gain first-hand experience (bournemouthair.co.uk), and the town also boasts a successful entertainment venue (bic.co.uk) alongside a high flying football club.

More importantly, the sandwich element of the degree gives you the best opportunity to gain vital skills and experience. Some of the students on my course are spending their year out working at the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Apple and AFC Bournemouth. This is thanks to the fantastic links that the university has with the industry. Best of all, this year is paid! Probably more than you would expect too... As a tip, I would start volunteering/working at events before university or during your first year, to give yourself the best chance of landing a fantastic placement.

The course itself gives you both the opportunity to progress as an academic but also provides the hands on experience that is needed to work in the events industry. In your second year, you will work in a small team and put on a live event. Everything is run by you. You have to manage your budgets, marketing and logistics using all of the skills that you have learned along the way. It gives you the most authentic events experience and all the money you raise goes to your charity, which gives you a bit of a feel good factor.

The school of tourism always performs highly in the league tables. There are over 2,200 undergraduate students in the school who are supported by 80 academics and professors. They’ve also been pivotal in lots of the literature that you will use, as over 70 books have been authored by the staff. The school also runs over 100 events and professional engagement activities every year, so a great opportunity to get involved with those.

There's loads more to find out, so if you have any questions then please ask. If you haven't paid Bournemouth a visit then I suggest that you come and have a look around to see what all the fuss is about. There’s an open day in the summer…

Best of luck in your future endeavours.
Reply 2
I want to study events but dont know how to start my personal statement without sounding too cliche :frown:((
When I was looking at events courses on the UCAS website Bournemouth was one of the courses that cropped up, it's great there's lots of practical elements, will definetly be looking at their course in more detail. thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arf123
I want to study events but dont know how to start my personal statement without sounding too cliche :frown:((

Haven't even started a personal statement yet, will probably start to write one over the summer and submit it at the end of this year ready for next year. I think everyone finds writing their personal statements difficult but everyone seems to get there in the end :smile: Good luck with it! Have you decided on your uni choices yet?
Anyone else out there from other unis and can give an insight to their course? What's uni life like? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending