The Student Room Group

Casual Meet up Vs Date?

What is the difference between a casual meet up and a date? I understand a meet up is much more less pressured than a date. Is that true?

Thanks JLP
A date is romantic, a casual meet up...isn't?
Casual meet ups lead to sex, dates are things people eat in Arabia.
So it's more a friend thing then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean Luc Picard
So it's more a friend thing then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

only americans and 12 year olds go on dates. Normal people just have drinks and then sex.
A casual meet up is just a friendly thing really. It may be a precursor to a date if you haven't met the person before.

A date is, well, a date. With romance and feelings. And is normally more awkward than just a casual meet up (depending how long you've known the person for).
A date is romantic, casual meet up isn't?

What kind of elementary school junk is that?

OP a casual meet up can be a date. If you are meeting someone up, is that not a date? And not all dates are romantic, and meet ups can very well become romantic. It depends on where you are going for both. :rolleyes:

As far as like, you're already face to face, and are talking and one of you throws in, "Yeah let's go to that bagel shop up the road."
And the other is like, "yeah cool." That is what you mean by casual?

A date is like, in a convo one of you throws in: "Let's go bowling. Or horse back riding." Whatever.
And the other is like "I can't. Not today."
Then you say, "well how about friday then?"
And the person agrees.
That is a date.
Not all "dates" are, love ballad is playing, fancy restaurant, stroll under the moonlight, kiss me on my doorstep. That is TV. Dates are just agreeing to meet up. Casual can be romantic, like a picnic is casual. That can be romantic. You don't have to be at a dinner table with candles for romance.

Okay? :smile:

**If you mean, you know them online and decide to meet them up for a cup of coffee, that is still a date because you planned it. Okay? And it can very well be romantic. Romantic means appealing to senses that give you those butterflies. That depends on the individual.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pocahontas lol
A date is romantic, casual meet up isn't?

What kind of elementary school junk is that?

OP a casual meet up can be a date. If you are meeting someone up, is that not a date? And not all dates are romantic, and meet ups can very well become romantic. It depends on where you are going for both. :rolleyes:

As far as like, you're already face to face, and are talking and one of you throws in, "Yeah let's go to that bagel shop up the road."
And the other is like, "yeah cool." That is what you mean by casual?

A date is like, in a convo one of you throws in: "Let's go bowling. Or horse back riding." Whatever.
And the other is like "I can't. Not today."
Then you say, "well how about friday then?"
And the person agrees.
That is a date.
Not all "dates" are, love ballad is playing, fancy restaurant, stroll under the moonlight, kiss me on my doorstep. That is TV. Dates are just agreeing to meet up. Casual can be romantic, like a picnic is casual. That can be romantic. You don't have to be at a dinner table with candles for romance.

Okay? :smile:

**If you mean, you know them online and decide to meet them up for a cup of coffee, that is still a date because you planned it. Okay? And it can very well be romantic. Romantic means appealing to senses that give you those butterflies. That depends on the individual.

We met online, and we were discussing what to call it. She suggested to call it a meet up instead a date, because it is less pressured. I was just wondering whether she was going more for the friend vibe or whether she just wants to get to know me before moving onto a 'date!'
We met online, and we were discussing what to call it. She suggested to call it a meet up instead a date, because it is less pressured. I was just wondering whether she was going more for the friend vibe or whether she just wants to get to know me before moving onto a 'date!'

Mmmhmm I thought so :smile:

Well then she made up her own term to make herself feel less nervous, most likely, and also it's like she will be meeting you online and is probably trying to pace herself and send signals to you: "don't get any ideas, yet."

A date is like you are considering a relationship. But it can have the same conditions as a meet up. Casual or romantic or not.

The girl said meet up to let you know she probably isn't considering a relationship, but this "meet up" will let her know. She is just being careful and might be nervous.

There's really nothing more to be said except have a nice time.
Mmmhmm I thought so :smile:

Well then she made up her own term to make herself feel less nervous, most likely, and also it's like she will be meeting you online and is probably trying to pace herself and send signals to you: "don't get any ideas, yet."

A date is like you are considering a relationship. But it can have the same conditions as a meet up. Casual or romantic or not.

The girl said meet up to let you know she probably isn't considering a relationship, but this "meet up" will let her know. She is just being careful and might be nervous.

There's really nothing more to be said except have a nice time.

I see, I see. Would you be able to elborate on "The girl said meet up to let you know she probably isn't considering a relationship, but this "meet up" will let her know. She is just being careful and might be nervous." What did you mean by 'let her know' Do you mean she wil assess whether there is chemistry or not? Have I got it wrong or am I along the right lines?
I see, I see. Would you be able to elborate on "The girl said meet up to let you know she probably isn't considering a relationship, but this "meet up" will let her know. She is just being careful and might be nervous." What did you mean by 'let her know' Do you mean she wil assess whether there is chemistry or not? Have I got it wrong or am I along the right lines?

Let her know means yes assess if she wants to even see you again, much less date (keep seeing you), and then start a relationship.

Dating and relationship are not the same. It's important to tell you because many people often get the wrong idea and end up heart broken or just obsessed and distressed.

Dating is like, you met up once, and both agreed to keep meeting up at scheduled times in the near future. And the purpose is to see if you want to be a couple. You can date multiple, though, see?

Couple is, both of you voice you like each other and will stop dating others. And you no longer are "meeting up" but you guys waited for one another somewhere, for example, and headed to a place together, probably without even discussing going prior to.

You just see each other, hug and kiss, hold hands or something and stroll, then say, I'm hungry let's go here.

Or oo look at that shirt, let's go here.

Or I'm cold, take me home and we'll watch telly.

You schedule dates and meet ups because you are NOT together, don't know if you want to be, and therefore, must let the person know you want to see them and wait and hear if they want to see you. If not that means no more dates.

Ex out the word meet up. She is adding terms unnecessarily and confusing you. Just translate it to, two friends hanging out, seeing where it goes slowly.

A couple should be, you can pop up to see the person whenever you want and they'll agree. If not, that normally means break up, or they are the type who likes their space (weird if you're a couple but ok). That's the minor (or major) difference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Let her know means yes assess if she wants to even see you again, much less date (keep seeing you), and then start a relationship.

Dating and relationship are not the same. It's important to tell you because many people often get the wrong idea and end up heart broken or just obsessed and distressed.

Dating is like, you met up once, and both agreed to keep meeting up at scheduled times in the near future. And the purpose is to see if you want to be a couple. You can date multiple, though, see?

Couple is, both of you voice you like each other and will stop dating others. And you no longer are "meeting up" but you guys waited for one another somewhere, for example, and headed to a place together, probably without even discussing going prior to.

You just see each other, hug and kiss, hold hands or something and stroll, then say, I'm hungry let's go here.

Or oo look at that shirt, let's go here.

Or I'm cold, take me home and we'll watch telly.

You schedule dates and meet ups because you are NOT together, don't know if you want to be, and therefore, must let the person know you want to see them and wait and hear if they want to see you. If not that means no more dates.

Ex out the word meet up. She is adding terms unnecessarily and confusing you. Just translate it to, two friends hanging out, seeing where it goes slowly.

A couple should be, you can pop up to see the person whenever you want and they'll agree. If not, that normally means break up, or they are the type who likes their space (weird if you're a couple but ok). That's the minor (or major) difference.

Okay! Kool. Also one more thing. She has stated in the past that she's not looking for anything serious yet and wants to have some fun. Is she just saying that not to seem keen or does she acutally mean it? And if she does, that change the nature of the 'meet up?'
Okay! Kool. Also one more thing. She has stated in the past that she's not looking for anything serious yet and wants to have some fun. Is she just saying that not to seem keen or does she acutally mean it? And if she does, that change the nature of the 'meet up?'

Ok well...Idk if she's keen or not. But yes if she isn't looking for a relationship right now, as a woman I say that to let the guy know I don't want him. But if she is agreeing to meet you up and just wants fun, watch out and see if she is a harlot. They exist.

If she is a good, decent lady and jsut doesn't want anything too serious, yes. Tone down the sexy on the date unless you really like her and want her. But it could scare her off. So yes casual (still a date :wink:).

Depending on chemistry it could very well become romantic. Holding hands and kissing is romantic. You can do that at bowling, which is casual. See? Now it just got romantic though. :smile: So yes take her somewhere simple and easy.

Idk your ages. If you're teenagers, I'd advise arcade or bowling or cinema.

If you're adults I'd advise bowling for adults as well,

or like a comedy show with drink service,

or an art exhibit (if you plan the art place, please know something about it. I can't tell you how awkward it is to be looking at art with a guy who has no care or words for it.)

Or the park and walk and talk.

Or a cafe and talk but that is so uncreative and people wonder why they get nervous on first time face to face convos.

Take her dancing like schedule a dance class. That is perfect. :smile: And if you're both beginners, it would be so fun just trying and no pressure if you look silly. And it can get sexy later.

Indoor rock-climbing is good too. Something like that.

"Pressuring her" would be 101 over dinner table, staring in her eyes. That should come after you familiarize yourselves.
Ok well...Idk if she's keen or not. But yes if she isn't looking for a relationship right now, as a woman I say that to let the guy know I don't want him. But if she is agreeing to meet you up and just wants fun, watch out and see if she is a harlot. They exist.

If she is a good, decent lady and jsut doesn't want anything too serious, yes. Tone down the sexy on the date unless you really like her and want her. But it could scare her off. So yes casual (still a date :wink:).

Depending on chemistry it could very well become romantic. Holding hands and kissing is romantic. You can do that at bowling, which is casual. See? Now it just got romantic though. :smile: So yes take her somewhere simple and easy.

Idk your ages. If you're teenagers, I'd advise arcade or bowling or cinema.

If you're adults I'd advise bowling for adults as well,

or like a comedy show with drink service,

or an art exhibit (if you plan the art place, please know something about it. I can't tell you how awkward it is to be looking at art with a guy who has no care or words for it.)

Or the park and walk and talk.

Or a cafe and talk but that is so uncreative and people wonder why they get nervous on first time face to face convos.

Take her dancing like schedule a dance class. That is perfect. :smile: And if you're both beginners, it would be so fun just trying and no pressure if you look silly. And it can get sexy later.

Indoor rock-climbing is good too. Something like that.

"Pressuring her" would be 101 over dinner table, staring in her eyes. That should come after you familiarize yourselves.

Okay! Okay! How would you say it could go from casual to romantic. What are the signs?!
Okay! Okay! How would you say it could go from casual to romantic. What are the signs?!

That it's going well. But as you are the initiator, you have to wait to see how she is. Going well means fluid convo, laughing, flipping hair, brushing or touching your arm with with her hand (I'm really just going with what I do when I like a man; I get very touchy feely and tease-touch whatever I feel like touching :tongue:) Body language and eye contact is important as well.

If she is slouching and looking away, ugh. She is being rude, and this will make you nervous most likely, and then there will be static probably forever. If she looks like this :bored: not a good sign.

If she is upright, shoulders back and looking at you when you talk and doesn't cut her eyes away when you look or finish talking, good sign. I always if I like a man make sure I connect my eyes with him when he is talking and when he is not, because I find looking around is lame and makes **** awkward. I also try not to look bored or distracted, and to have confident and alluring body language. Because I know the opposite will make **** go bad. She better laugh too, but I suppose with your doing you must contribute as well.

You must do the same as well. Look at her, don't look around, stop munching on snacks the venue offered, pay attention to your body language. Do not slouch, do not shake those legs, if your hands are fidgeting please hide them.

You probably know this but when someone comes to me for advice, I give it to them.
lol this is a very relevant question for me right now...

Basically, I don't believe in planned 'casual meetups' with a single member of the opposite sex being purely casual. They are precursor to better things.

What are the signs? You have your dick up her ass, what the **** do you think the signs are.

Honestly, kids these days.
Reply 17
Can be a pre-date flirting opportunity.
That it's going well. But as you are the initiator, you have to wait to see how she is. Going well means fluid convo, laughing, flipping hair, brushing or touching your arm with with her hand (I'm really just going with what I do when I like a man; I get very touchy feely and tease-touch whatever I feel like touching :tongue:) Body language and eye contact is important as well.

If she is slouching and looking away, ugh. She is being rude, and this will make you nervous most likely, and then there will be static probably forever. If she looks like this :bored: not a good sign.

If she is upright, shoulders back and looking at you when you talk and doesn't cut her eyes away when you look or finish talking, good sign. I always if I like a man make sure I connect my eyes with him when he is talking and when he is not, because I find looking around is lame and makes **** awkward. I also try not to look bored or distracted, and to have confident and alluring body language. Because I know the opposite will make **** go bad. She better laugh too, but I suppose with your doing you must contribute as well.

You must do the same as well. Look at her, don't look around, stop munching on snacks the venue offered, pay attention to your body language. Do not slouch, do not shake those legs, if your hands are fidgeting please hide them.

You probably know this but when someone comes to me for advice, I give it to them.

Nice! What makes me nervous is that we get on fairly well via text, however I'm worried that it won't translate to actually when we're in person. Also it is common fact that girls get bored of you if you talk to them constantly, as we're both at different Uni's and can't meet up until Feb. Do you have any advice on how to keep the 'spark' alive?!
It's all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending