The Student Room Group

How long before jogging each morning will make a difference?

I've started to jog every morning and I'm wondering how long it'll be before I lost weight, mostly looking for a flatter stomach.

I go about 1.5 miles, probably soon to become 2 miles each morning

I'm a 17 year old girl, 140 pounds/10 stone, if that helps.

I've also dramatically cut out junk food and unhealthy drinks
Reply 1
If you want a flatter stomach, try things such as sit ups, push ups, planks etc, these are exercises which help tone the stomach muscles, therefore give you a flatter tummy
Original post by esjae
If you want a flatter stomach, try things such as sit ups, push ups, planks etc, these are exercises which help tone the stomach muscles, therefore give you a flatter tummy

:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icebreaker201

I would ignore the first post.

Doing exercises focused at the stomach will not burn fat from the stomach. Sure it might increase size of the muscles, but that's still under the layer of fat. And can even give you a fatter stomach from it.

Best way to get a flat stomach is cardio, mixed in with a healthy diet and general workout.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's no way of saying how much exercise will make a difference to you. The only way you can flatten your stomach is to lose body weight all over by being in a calorie deficit, so it's the diet/exercise combined rather than just saying how long you run for each day.

Also, you absolutely cannot spot reduce fat and building muscle isn't as easy as doing a few sit-ups, so I wouldn't bother too much with those..
Impacts/changes will start right away. Probably won't make any noticeable fat losses for at least 2/3 weeks. Track your calories. Make sure it's below 2,000 per day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends how many calories you're taking in as well. A 30 minute jog might burn about 500 calories, which is great but if you factor that in to your energy expenditure and after that you're still eating at maintenance or very slightly below, the weight loss will be slow or non-existant.

Short version - calculate your calorie requirements and track your caloric intake.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Depends how many calories you're taking in as well. A 30 minute jog might burn about 500 calories, which is great but if you factor that in to your energy expenditure and after that you're still eating at maintenance or very slightly below, the weight loss will be slow or non-existant.

Short version - calculate your calorie requirements and track your caloric intake.

I doubt the OP is going to be burning 500 cals in a 30 min jog any time soon... it's possible calories used will increase with intensity, but an average runner would look at more like 100 p/mile, which would put the OP at 150-200 at the moment, maybe 300 in 30 minutes
Original post by doodle_333
I doubt the OP is going to be burning 500 cals in a 30 min jog any time soon... it's possible calories used will increase with intensity, but an average runner would look at more like 100 p/mile, which would put the OP at 150-200 at the moment, maybe 300 in 30 minutes

Fair enough, never actually looked into it tbh, was just making a point that food intake still needs to be watched to make sure she's not taking in as much as or more than she's burning each day so I sort of guessed the calories burned :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest