The Student Room Group

unemployed after 6 months after graduation, feel completly lost

graduated 6 months ago and currently unemployed, I appreciate it is 100% my fault as I haven't given job hunting its real attention, I start a week with a real desire to apply but then after a few hours reading through loads of graduate schemes I just get terrified an bury my head back into the sand for a few weeks, I just feel very unconfident I'm capable of doing the jobs the schemes want .

Some backround on me, I graduated with a 2:1 in physics, however I suffer from Aspergus and have a severe lack of confidence in myself, especially when it comes to working as I've never even had a temporary shop job. I look at all these excellent graduate schemes out there and then just seen phrases like "We are looking for strong driven candidates with excellent communication skills" and others like it that don't apply to me and just feel there's no point even applying to them

Any advice? Parents suggest I go to the job centre for advice

Scroll to see replies

I think you're more than capable!

Firstly, try not to let the job role descriptions put you off. I can assure you, they seem daunting to most people. They seem daunting to myself too. However, that is just the way they are set out, and nearly all are the same.

The way you need to think is: "what is the worst that is going to happen by submitting an application?".

The worst is that you wont get through to the next stage. Well, thats ok. Thats the same as not applying, so no damage done there. But the best is you proceed to the next stage.

Also, what i will say is, applying, researching, etc is a long process. Ive submitted some applications that have got rejected outright, and others that get processed. Dont let rejection worry you. Fear of failure means we dont progress, or that we don't even try.

And not trying is not an option!

I think the job centre is a good idea. Anther good idea is the careers advice service at your uni. Even when you graduate they usually provide a service to help their students prepare for things like applications, CVs, job interviews, etc.

Try to use these resources.

Best of luck :smile:
In my opinion, the best thing to do is to find non graduate jobs/any job then whilst working there carry on applying to graduate roles as most I think start in the summer.
I too didn't apply early enough and at the moment I am working in a warehouse, any job is better than no job.
(edited 9 years ago)
i'm not meaning to be harsh OP, but the problem for you is that most employers discriminate againat people with mental health issues. they won't say they discriminate, but they definitely do. so when they find out you have aspergers (which will very quickly become apparent in an interview), they will reject you. they would rather hire someone who is mentally stable over someone who isn't. i know that sounds very harsh, but unfortunately it is the reality i'm afraid.
Original post by stubear
graduated 6 months ago and currently unemployed, I appreciate it is 100% my fault as I haven't given job hunting its real attention, I start a week with a real desire to apply but then after a few hours reading through loads of graduate schemes I just get terrified an bury my head back into the sand for a few weeks, I just feel very unconfident I'm capable of doing the jobs the schemes want .

Some backround on me, I graduated with a 2:1 in physics, however I suffer from Aspergus and have a severe lack of confidence in myself, especially when it comes to working as I've never even had a temporary shop job. I look at all these excellent graduate schemes out there and then just seen phrases like "We are looking for strong driven candidates with excellent communication skills" and others like it that don't apply to me and just feel there's no point even applying to them

Well, it's really difficult to get a lot of jobs without any form of experience. Go to the job centre, they often can help people like yourself with NO experience out. What kind of jobs are you interested in? Ever thought about Teaching?
Original post by stubear

I would suggest that you volunteer somewhere and start looking for any job that's around people if it's communication skills that you feel you're lacking in. It looks good on your CV, in fact it's the reason why I got my first ever job. I was shy as anything when I started but being thrown into a customer service environment for 3 years did wonders for my confidence.

As a graduate you've got a whole host of transferable skills - teamwork, communication, working independently, analyzing and interpreting large quantities of information, working to deadlines, prioritising tasks/time. Don't feel like you've got nothing!
Reply 6
First step is to get any job you can (even a menial one) so that your no longer draining others.

Secondly, how many agencies are you with? There are probably tonnes of agencies in your nearest city, register with them and pester them for jobs (they'll have some good ones probably from time to time, you can tell them you only want office work).

Thirdly, set yourself an aim of say 10 jobs per day for a month for your graduate jobs.

Lastly, don't fall into the trap of only looking for graduate schemes. There are many general graduate jobs.
Original post by snowman77
i'm not meaning to be harsh OP, but the problem for you is that most employers discriminate againat people with mental health issues. they won't say they discriminate, but they definitely do. so when they find out you have aspergers (which will very quickly become apparent in an interview), they will reject you. they would rather hire someone who is mentally stable over someone who isn't. i know that sounds very harsh, but unfortunately it is the reality i'm afraid.

Aspergers isn't a mental health problem or a sign of mental instability.
Original post by _icecream
In my opinion, the best thing to do is to find non graduate jobs/any job then whilst working there carry on applying to graduate roles as most I think start in the summer.
I too didn't apply early enough and at the moment I am working in a warehouse, any job is better than no job.

That's what I;m doing. :biggrin:

Also like the OP I graduated with a 2:1 in physics and have the same lack of confidence problem.
I feel the same way; I graduated last August with a First from a good Uni in History. But I've had to move so much that finding work has been very difficult. My planned career fell flat on its feet after I didn't pass the Civil Service tests and I haven't been able to get any other graduate work opportunities. I haven't even been able to get any regular work, in things like the retail sector or food service or anything. I'm getting pretty stressed and my parents are coming to the end of their patience. I've even tried applying for unpaid volunteer work but I rarely even get a response from them.
Original post by Birkenhead
Aspergers isn't a mental health problem or a sign of mental instability.
It's related to mental health. It is, in effect, a personality disorder/defect. It means you can't form relationships with people in a normal way and don't deal with social situations in the way normal people do. Employers won't take the risk with you. No employer wants someone with a personality disorder, especially in a job that is in any way customer facing.
Original post by Outsider XT
I feel the same way; I graduated last August with a First from a good Uni in History. But I've had to move so much that finding work has been very difficult. My planned career fell flat on its feet after I didn't pass the Civil Service tests and I haven't been able to get any other graduate work opportunities. I haven't even been able to get any regular work, in things like the retail sector or food service or anything. I'm getting pretty stressed and my parents are coming to the end of their patience. I've even tried applying for unpaid volunteer work but I rarely even get a response from them.
Bull****, getting unpaid volunteer work is easy. Walk into any charity shop and ask if you can volunteer for 1 day every week. Charity shops are always looking for volunteers. Or go down to your local food bank and volunteer there. Voluntary jobs are extremely easy to get.
I had the same problem as you - I was shot scared of applying and failing or getting in but not being good enough.

Eventually I wrote a few more applications and got lucky (or maybe not because I'm good) and loving it now.

Get someone to help you. Doesn't have tone much just someone who can sit next to you while you send out applications. That helps a lot imo

Don't put your head down, I guarantee you that you are better than you think and in time you will find the right job for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Special needs and Mental Health are two different things....
(edited 9 years ago)
Bull****, getting unpaid volunteer work is easy. Walk into any charity shop and ask if you can volunteer for 1 day every week. Charity shops are always looking for volunteers. Or go down to your local food bank and volunteer there. Voluntary jobs are extremely easy to get.

not when they are replacing volunteers with workfare contracts. And most places want to check references, this can be awkward if your like op and your quite socially isolated.
can you look into jobs that are not customer/team based roles? thing about the job center is that they are now 'sanction machines'. they don't have specialties to find any decent jobs, just the grit like cleaning and retail. but your job center might have a decent person left who could help you, it's worth a try.
also i don't think you should say it is 100 % your fault, because you have a condition which makes your life hard, and other people don't appreciate it. so i would say you have been doing you best with the cards you were dealt with.
Original post by rustyappletree
not when they are replacing volunteers with workfare contracts. And most places want to check references, this can be awkward if your like op and your quite socially isolated.

What's a workfare contract?

Sorry i'm only 16 and yeah...
Reply 17
Original post by stubear

Was in the same position myself.
Write yourself a business plan, put on a suit and walk into a bank.
It's related to mental health. It is, in effect, a personality disorder/defect. It means you can't form relationships with people in a normal way and don't deal with social situations in the way normal people do. Employers won't take the risk with you. No employer wants someone with a personality disorder, especially in a job that is in any way customer facing.

Why tell the employer you are then?

My mother and doctor thought i may have a very mild form of it but i decided not to be properly tested because i see no advantage to it plus being a very mild case (if i have it at all) it just makes me seem a bit weird at times. It's not impeded my ability to work or anything.
Original post by SarcasticMel
I had the same problem as you - I was shot scared of applying and failing or getting in but not being good enough.

Eventually I wrote a few more applications and got lucky (or maybe not because I'm good) and loving it now.

Get someone to help you. Doesn't have tone much just someone who can sit next to you while you send out applications. That helps a lot imo

Don't put your head down, I guarantee you that you are better than you think and in time you will find the right job for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to be ignorant but is it that hard to look for a job that's relevant to your Degree?

Or do you need a PhD for that...

Idk i'm only young and most people ik who left Uni go into jobs like Retail, etc..

I'm just wondering why not apply/try to get a job that is relevant to your career?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending