The Student Room Group

Will you always think of your exes as good-looking?

Not attractive, as I know this is multifaceted, but actually in Tweed terms of looks (assuming you found them very good looking to begin with)

Scroll to see replies

Nah, my ex looks homeless now (grooming standards don't even exist with him) and he definitely didn't look like that when we were together 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe that in my old relationships I was blinded by love!
My last ex for example was in his early 20s like me but he was fat and balding, the hair he had left was like a crazy scientist and he didnt even have a good personality.. He cheated on me constantly, probably because he took any girl he could.
At the time I thought he was attractive even though my friends compared him to a serial killer lol
Now I think "wow what was I doing?!"
I think I'll trust what my friends say in future!

I think feelings effect looks and sometimes when the feelings diaappear to does the attraction to their looks.
Reply 3
Original post by ilex_noemi
I believe that in my old relationships I was blinded by love!
My last ex for example was in his early 20s like me but he was fat and balding, the hair he had left was like a crazy scientist and he didnt even have a good personality.. He cheated on me constantly, probably because he took any girl he could.
At the time I thought he was attractive even though my friends compared him to a serial killer lol
Now I think "wow what was I doing?!"
I think I'll trust what my friends say in future!

I think feelings effect looks and sometimes when the feelings diaappear to does the attraction to their looks.

But assuming that it was someone you were highly attracted to before you developed feelings and they haven't changed in appearance since.
Oh, hell no. For me, physical attraction has always been strongly linked to how much I like them. My first boyfriend was okay looking (maybe attractive to some), but I was very fond of him, so he seemed really beautiful to me. Really not the case anymore. My second boyfriend was not that blessed with good looks (rather short, started balding), but I fancied the pants of him at the time. Now, for the first time, I'm going out with someone who I guess would be considered conventionally attractive. Makes me wonder how I'll feel about his looks should we break up.
I don't see why I thought my ex was so attractive, but as others said attraction is "linked to how much I like them".
With my current boyfriend, I just can't imagine not finding him attractive but that must be because current feelings :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SophF_rth
I don't see why I thought my ex was so attractive, but as others said attraction is "linked to how much I like them".
With my current boyfriend, I just can't imagine not finding him attractive but that must be because current feelings :smile:

I suppose what I'm thinking is, if you would have described them as hot before you got together, surely feelings might have heightened that but you would still find them attractive once the feelings had gone?
Yeah one of them I'll definitely always think was hot, he was basically outta this world. There's another who I'm still friends with who I still objectively think is pretty good-looking (though I have no feelings for him anymore) aaand there's a third who was so attractive when we were together but I saw him recently and he looks like a trashcan on legs now, idgi. Why would you ruin yourself tbh.
My first was like a 2.5 out of 10, quite the minger

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You'll always have a soft spot for them no matter what happened, because you used to like them.

As as for finding them good looking, yeah I think so. Some more than others...
Mine is actually an ex friend. What I thought was a coffee meeting (and only a coffee meeting) turned out to be something more in his thick mind. He was a bit attractive when I met him, but now he's not. He's pretty much a walking, stinking garbage bag. He said he wasn't judgemental, but when I told him about my recent life choices (basically coming out to him), he asked me how long I've been 'suffering from this condition.' That's when I cut out all contact with him, and told everyone I know to avoid him at all costs.
Reply 11
My ex is very handsome, just a bit on the slim side and 5'9" which is a bit shorter (2in) than me aha. I think I found him more attractive before going out, then when we were together sometimes he was average and other times I felt he was really sexy. We've been apart over a year and I don't find him attractive at all, he looks the same, still a real catch to others but I just don't find him attractive at all?
As much as I hate to admit it, my ex was unrealistically good looking because he had such nice features (his cheekbones were just amazing) and he was like 6ft 3. Now though,ever since I found out he's been a one night stander I just think to myself if I dated him out of desperation
Original post by Jagray
My ex is very handsome, just a bit on the slim side and 5'9" which is a bit shorter (2in) than me aha. I think I found him more attractive before going out, then when we were together sometimes he was average and other times I felt he was really sexy. We've been apart over a year and I don't find him attractive at all, he looks the same, still a real catch to others but I just don't find him attractive at all?

So you still think of him as handsome but there's no attraction there?
Nope, some of my exes have let themselves go, big-style.
I still think they were good looking even after we went our separate ways
My first serious boyfriend was very conventionally good-looking. We're still good friends and yes, I can still see that he's attractive, but I'm no longer attracted to him myself if that makes sense?

My second serious relationship, though, was with a guy who was much less conventionally good-looking, but who I found myself much more attracted to (combination of interesting face and huge charisma). However, when I've seen him since our relationship, I've been surprised that I was so blinded by love - he really isn't attractive to me any more at all. That probably has something to do with the fact that he was an absolute jerk towards the end of our relationship and since, so his ugly personality has no doubt affected how I see him physically.

How much I like a person certainly seems to have something to do with how attractive I think they are. Neither of them have 'let themselves go' or anything by the way; they more or less look the same as they did when I was with them.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
So you still think of him as handsome but there's no attraction there?

It's hard to explain, I don't think of him as handsome but I know he is. I used to see it and other girls (and guys, straight or gay) find him good looking. You have to remember looks are skin-deep. I know him very well so in my eyes he is unattractive, if his face was near mine I'd be grossed out picking up on the bad rather than good.

So basically, he's not handsome and I'm not attracted. But to other humans I assume they'd find him handsome.
It depends on if they've become worse or better, or more or less the same. I don't find them all good-looking now.
Original post by Anonymous
I suppose what I'm thinking is, if you would have described them as hot before you got together, surely feelings might have heightened that but you would still find them attractive once the feelings had gone?

I understand your point and i could think of feature i'd say are attractive but overall for me, i just think maybe personality won me over?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending