The Student Room Group

Should He Get a Say in Your Grooming?

I've wondered for a while how one would approach the subject of a partner's preference of pubic hair....I feel like it's different for guys and girls because, ahh girls aren't going to be quite as "in there" when doing oral as guys. So I would think it's only considerate to find out if a guy is disgusted by pubic hair.
That being said, for me shaving really irritates my skin and so although I enjoy looking clean I hate shaving. Trimming is ok, not ideal....
Anyway, what are your guys' opinions? Is there ever a time (before sex) in a relationship to discuss this kind of thing?
Original post by Anonymous
I've wondered for a while how one would approach the subject of a partner's preference of pubic hair....I feel like it's different for guys and girls because, ahh girls aren't going to be quite as "in there" when doing oral as guys. So I would think it's only considerate to find out if a guy is disgusted by pubic hair.
That being said, for me shaving really irritates my skin and so although I enjoy looking clean I hate shaving. Trimming is ok, not ideal....
Anyway, what are your guys' opinions? Is there ever a time (before sex) in a relationship to discuss this kind of thing?

Depends, I think both people in the relationship should make sacrifices. That said, if this is a new relationship, he should NOT get a say (unless you want him to) in this. And it should go both ways, like if you do something for him, he should do something for you; of course I don't mean to make your relationship a business, but it shouldn't be just you or just him who makes sacrifices in the relationship. Also if it really poses a problem for you (the grooming), then don't do it at all, and he should understand and get used to it.
Reply 2
Original post by gagafacea1
Depends, I think both people in the relationship should make sacrifices. That said, if this is a new relationship, he should NOT get a say (unless you want him to) in this. And it should go both ways, like if you do something for him, he should do something for you; of course I don't mean to make your relationship a business, but it shouldn't be just you or just him who makes sacrifices in the relationship. Also if it really poses a problem for you (the grooming), then don't do it at all, and he should understand and get used to it.

That makes sense....But what if I were to shave it all and the guy be turned off (as some people think it looks childish)?
Ask him for an opinion and use it to help make the decision but the choice is ultimately yours to make.

It's silly to do something he hates and will be really turned off by but don't feel the pressure to do something you don't want to.

Tbh he probably won't even care. He's happy he's just there.
Reply 4
inb4 girls saying "its my body not yours" when guy suggests the girl and "the guy is so inconsiderate" when girls suggesting to guys.
Reply 5
Original post by Motorbiker
Ask him for an opinion and use it to help make the decision but the choice is ultimately yours to make.

It's silly to do something he hates and will be really turned off by but don't feel the pressure to do something you don't want to.

Tbh he probably won't even care. He's happy he's just there.

Hopefully he would be flexible. I just think of my ex (who, admittedly in hindsight was probably not mature enough to realize the more important things in a relationship) probably would've hated if I'd had any hair. But then I met someone a couple months ago who was saying he didn't care if a girl didn't shave anywhere!
Reply 6
Original post by Enoxial
inb4 girls saying "its my body not yours" when guy suggests the girl and "the guy is so inconsiderate" when girls suggesting to guys.

Not sure I follow
My general rule about hair on girls is that they can't have more than me. I'm not a very hairy dude, and because hair is seen as manly, I think it's a reasonable ask not to be emasculated. I trim, and I'm fine with girls having hair as long as they trim too. Personally it's more important that there's no armpit hair, because that is a major turn off for me. As far as asking about my partner's grooming habits I don't wait around and normally ask a good week or so before I think the first sexual encounter might occur just so I know what to expect.
He can let me know his preference, but it doesn't mean I'll do it. Maybe we can have best of both worlds, I shave for a month and then don't shave for a month, we're both getting what we want.
Not that I particularly like a 70s look, I just despise shaving.

Also I shaved my legs for the first time in 2 months about 3 days ago and they've just been cold since, so keeping my winter coat is imperative!
I'd say so. It doesn't really matter anyway in terms of what the person prefers on their own body since nobody except their partner is going to see it.
Use wax or Veet. Get rid of it and get into the habit. Most guys will prefer no hair down there.
Obviously he shouldn't pressure you to alter your body if you don't want to, but he is entitled to give his preference, especially as he's the one going to be down there! :redface: I think a guy asking for it to be all shaved off is a bit much (don't they realise how scratchy and prickly it is?:hmpf:) but it's best to get a compromise between you and your boyfriend. Don't disregard his opinion, but don't feel you have to do exactly what he expects either.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think it is much to ask - but then I shave too.
Original post by Alaric III
My general rule about hair on girls is that they can't have more than me. I'm not a very hairy dude, and because hair is seen as manly, I think it's a reasonable ask not to be emasculated. I trim, and I'm fine with girls having hair as long as they trim too. Personally it's more important that there's no armpit hair, because that is a major turn off for me. As far as asking about my partner's grooming habits I don't wait around and normally ask a good week or so before I think the first sexual encounter might occur just so I know what to expect.

That makes sense. I do see hair as a sign of masculinity, obviously hair represents maturity sooo...Actually I hate arm pit hair too. Ew. If I could only shave one part of my body it would be that. I was thinking of getting laser actually.

Original post by minimarshmallow
He can let me know his preference, but it doesn't mean I'll do it. Maybe we can have best of both worlds, I shave for a month and then don't shave for a month, we're both getting what we want.
Not that I particularly like a 70s look, I just despise shaving.

Also I shaved my legs for the first time in 2 months about 3 days ago and they've just been cold since, so keeping my winter coat is imperative!

Haha I haven't been shaving my legs much this winter. Partially because I was trying epilating in the fall and that left me with stacks on stacks of ingrown hairs, my lord.... I've been letting my legs recover but also what's the point? Haha.

Original post by Smonnie
Use wax or Veet. Get rid of it and get into the habit. Most guys will prefer no hair down there.

My home waxing experiences have been bad, my skin is sensitive. I did buy veet recently, though when using nair in the past it was never super good always left me stubbly.

Original post by Maid Marian
Obviously he shouldn't pressure you to alter your body if you don't want to, but he is entitled to give his preference, especially as he's the one going to be down there! :redface: I think a guy asking for it to be all shaved off is a bit much (don't they realise how scratchy and prickly it is?:hmpf:) but it's best to get a compromise between you and your boyfriend. Don't disregard his opinion, but don't feel you have to do exactly what he expects either.

That sounds about right. I guess a little (awkward) would sort things out...

Original post by Smonnie
I don't think it is much to ask - but then I shave too.

Well none of the hair removal methods I've tried thus far have been effective or left me pain free, so....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending