The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hidaya
hi
I am currently studying this course without any a levels. Can you tell me how you studied your A-level maths and how you managed to do both AS and A2 both in a year because from last year all the exams were moved back to June/July?

Also can you give me general advice on study this level 3 course because now there is no resets.

thanks

When you book the exams only you essentially take the first set when the resits would be taken. Then the rest in the summer.

You know that big book they generally give you. Regurgitate that. It has 90% of the information you need in it. I didnt really use it and had to put in graft but looking through it afterwards i regret that.
I'm currently doing the Diploma, right now I'm struggling with the hands on aspect I.e creating circuits. Is there any way or resources to help me get better at this any reply is much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey did you do a mechanical project , if so can I have it ?
Reply 43
Original post by Sam Walters
When you book the exams only you essentially take the first set when the resits would be taken. Then the rest in the summer.

You know that big book they generally give you. Regurgitate that. It has 90% of the information you need in it. I didnt really use it and had to put in graft but looking through it afterwards i regret that.

If you're really interested in Engineering finish the course as it is equivalent to 3-A Levels, I've done it when there's no exams needed LOL feel sorry for you guys nowadays LOL but I also did higher diploma and did exams so I guess it balanced it and yeah you will still be able to get in Uni with Btec Level 3 Extended Engineering Diploma you have 17 units to complete within two years so you should be fine just get a lot of support from your teacher and don't copy and paste online.

Good Luck !:smile::u:
Reply 44
Original post by Michael_98
I'm currently doing the Diploma, right now I'm struggling with the hands on aspect I.e creating circuits. Is there any way or resources to help me get better at this any reply is much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are you making? strain gauge??

You most likely been given a drawing and what the actual piece will look like so just have a look and research of how to or ask your teacher.
Reply 45
Original post by subhaan1996
Hey did you do a mechanical project , if so can I have it ?

LOOL you cant just have the project you know that right? LOL you get assess on how well you can use practical techniques............
I'm fine with basic circuits but when it comes to more complex things such as breadboarding with things such as logic controllers that's were the problem is
Original post by Mart527
If you're really interested in Engineering finish the course as it is equivalent to 3-A Levels, I've done it when there's no exams needed LOL feel sorry for you guys nowadays LOL but I also did higher diploma and did exams so I guess it balanced it and yeah you will still be able to get in Uni with Btec Level 3 Extended Engineering Diploma you have 17 units to complete within two years so you should be fine just get a lot of support from your teacher and don't copy and paste online.

Good Luck !:smile::u:

Finished it. Top grade in every unit. I took a-levels along side and afterwards.

Still getting rejections mostly across the board. I must be wrong in thinking Both an A* in A-level maths and Distinction at HNC is not a greater qualification than a B in GCSE mathematics as their requirements stipulate.
Finished it. Top grade in every unit. I took a-levels along side and afterwards.

Still getting rejections mostly across the board. I must be wrong in thinking Both an A* in A-level maths and Distinction at HNC is not a greater qualification than a B in GCSE mathematics as their requirements stipulate.

Which unis did you apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leeds, Sheffield x2, Southampton, loughborough.

Leeds offer. Sheffield rejection x 2, Southampton (Offer and firmed. Rated no2 in the country for mechanical engineering and higher career prospects than imperial so arguably no1, yes please). loughborough was still waiting for when I pulled the trigger on Southampton.
Reply 50

That's really strange, I have the same as you - predicted A* in A level maths and Dist at HNC (taking exams this summer) and I got 4 offers.

Leeds offer. Sheffield rejection x 2, Southampton (Offer and firmed. Rated no2 in the country for mechanical engineering and higher career prospects than imperial so arguably no1, yes please). loughborough was still waiting for when I pulled the trigger on Southampton.

congrats. haha bit of a stretch to say rejection across the board!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51

I thought I saw on another thread that you got an unconditional from Cambridge?
Original post by samsama
That's really strange, I have the same as you - predicted A* in A level maths and Dist at HNC (taking exams this summer) and I got 4 offers.

congrats. haha bit of a stretch to say rejection across the board!

Cheers!

The rejection from Sheffield hit hard and confused me greatly! Hence I was expecting rejections from everywhere else but two have stepped up to the plate!

I did not expect an offer from Southampton and was expecting a rejection as there is the same requirement on their website too. Plus it was a bit of a punt!

So I was trying to hit Sheffield. No3 in the country. But I've hit Southampton No2 in the country and arguably no1 as it has better employment prospects than Sheffield and a much much better student to staff ratio.

Lets just say I'm pleased as punch. Celebratory takeaway me thinks!
Original post by yt7777
I thought I saw on another thread that you got an unconditional from Cambridge?

Nope not this time. I applied last time. Some 3/4 years ago. Interview. Offer from another college a mature students college. Rejected it and did something else with my life for a while. I was never going to apply to Cambridge this year. After working with graduates from there I simply don't think its up to scratch.

Applied this year and got rejected by somewhere I got an offer from before.....Baffled! But its sound. Southampton it is!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
Nope not this time. I applied last time. Some 3/4 years ago. Interview. Offer from another college a mature students college. Rejected it and did something else with my life for a while. I was never going to apply to Cambridge this year. After working with graduates from there I simply don't think its up to scratch.

Applied this year and got rejected by somewhere I got an offer from before.....Baffled! But its sound. Southampton it is!

Ah fair enough, that's weird :s-smilie: where was that? Yeah Southampton is really good! What type of Engineering did you apply for?
Original post by yt7777
Ah fair enough, that's weird :s-smilie: where was that? Yeah Southampton is really good! What type of Engineering did you apply for?

Sheffield and Mechanical.
Reply 56
I'm comming towards the end of my second year of BTEC Level 3 extended diploma. I'm going for D*D*D* and I'm pretty confident I'll achieve it. However I agree with this statement. This is because although Im confident I will achieve top grades and have achieved other awards such as student of the year; I still have been rejected from most of the top university's I've applied for. These unis include Leeds, Bath, Southampton and Loughborough. These university's all prefer A levels for aerospace and some electrical and mechanical engineering degrees. So my advice would also be if you want to go to a top university for the degree you wish to study, do A levels. If your looking to do an apprenticeship do a BTEC.
Original post by spanker
Just replied to your PM.

Same here
"Hi,

I just recently saw your post about Btec Extended diploma in Engineering level 3 and I think you have completed the course. I have recently started this course and I wanted to know if you could give me some advice about how to study & do my assignments and also any book or any other particular material that you would recommend for this course.

I hope to hear from you.

Thank you,
your sincerely,
Tareq
Reply 58
Hey I'm studying engineering Level 3 but I'm finding the a little confusing, my tutor at college isn't helpful at all and i really want to pass this course, i am only on my first year. Do you think its a good idea for me to get a tutor in order to help me through the course.
Hi guys has anyone done the unit 5 mechanical principles and applications assignment 3; thermodynamic and fluid systems? I've been given it early and I haven't got a clue how to do it due to the teacher being off sick for 4 weeks it's gradin criteria P5, P6, P7, P8, P9, M3, M4 and D2 has anyone completed this assignments hitting all the criteria to distinction level? If so can you help me or give me the answers please it would be a massive help

Latest

Trending

Trending