The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In the current system that was always going to be UKIPs biggest flaw: that its support is spread too thin.

I also agree that the system need changing.
So what would be the perfect kind of system for you then? While I agree that this system is not perfect, it's not a bad system either...but there is room for improvement.

Personally I am glad UKIP only got one seat, I consider them to be a far right wing party, with racist, homophobic and xenophobic views. Their whole elections campaign was based on anti-immigration and anti-EU rhetoric.
Original post by Vlad_Tepes
Personally I am glad UKIP only got one seat, I consider them to be a far right wing party, with racist, homophobic and xenophobic views.

In the same way that the Tories are a party of rapists and pedophiles, and Labour are a party of racists?
Original post by ElectronDonor
The present voting system is flawed , at least 3 million people have voted ukip

Almost 4 million votes. That is democracy for you, it is just sad
The system certainly isn't perfect.

Although I'm not in favour of UKIP ruling the country, I would like there to be more UKIP MPs in Parliament. They have done a bloody good job of getting people politically involved, and I do feel quite bad for Nigel Farage - he's a smart man who has been campaigning for change, and he has certainly got people talking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
UKIP are too far right wing. I would vote for a tory if it meant keeping UKIP out.
So what would be the perfect kind of system for you then? While I agree that this system is not perfect, it's not a bad system either...but there is room for improvement.

Personally I am glad UKIP only got one seat, I consider them to be a far right wing party, with racist, homophobic and xenophobic views. Their whole elections campaign was based on anti-immigration and anti-EU rhetoric.

The prefix anti- means that you are opposed to something. Being opposed to something means that you are totally against. If one immigrant comes into the country, which is approved by the state, then you do not have an anti-immigration policy. UKIP policy is to use a point’s based system and limit it to around 50,000; this means that UKIP has a pro-immigration policy. They are anti-mass immigration, but pro-migration.

They are not homophobic as a phobia is an irrational fear of something; they do not have any fear of gays nor is it irrational. UKIP also has openly gay men in the party and in the past had a trans women. Nikki Sinclaire was a transgender MEP for UKIP. Richard Barnes is openly gay and stood for the Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner Constituency this GE.

Racism is against the law, if you have any proof of racism report it to the police, seeing as you have not I guess you don’t even believe yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
A points based migration system would not work within EU due to freedom of movement within EU which we all enjoy, unless Britain would leave EU. It could only be applied to migrants coming from other parts of Europe or the world.

Personally I think leaving EU would be a disaster for Britain, I think EU needs to be reformed though.

Regarding the LGBT community, what was the UKIP manifesto/policy towards this community?

As for being racism and xenofobia I believe we heard too many cases of UKIP members/candidates being openly xenofobic or racist, including Nigel Farage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Vlad_Tepes;55571777

As for being racism and xenofobia I believe we heard too many cases of UKIP members/candidates being openly xenofobic or racist, including Nigel Farage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, using your logic that means the Labour party is the paedophile party.
Reply 10
Original post by IamLiquid
In the current system that was always going to be UKIPs biggest flaw: that its support is spread too thin.

I also agree that the system need changing.

its so funny how in my country we have presidential elections on Sunday and one of the candidates want to introduce same voting system that's in the UK, saying its the best one :P
Dont be a sore loser
A points based migration system would not work within EU due to freedom of movement within EU which we all enjoy, unless Britain would leave EU. It could only be applied to migrants coming from other parts of Europe or the world.

Personally I think leaving EU would be a disaster for Britain, I think EU needs to be reformed though.

Regarding the LGBT community, what was the UKIP manifesto/policy towards this community?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please post an example of Nigel saying something racist or xenophobic. All of the candidates that you're talking about were disciplined.
Original post by Nottie
its so funny how in my country we have presidential elections on Sunday and one of the candidates want to introduce same voting system that's in the UK, saying its the best one :P

I think the in the UK works when you have a two party system, like we used to have. How can the third largest party only have 1mp to represent 13% of the electorate? They are not fairly represented; the current system gives the established parties an unfair advantage.
Reply 14
Original post by IamLiquid
I think the in the UK works when you have a two party system, like we used to have. How can the third largest party only have 1mp to represent 13% of the electorate? They are not fairly represented; the current system gives the established parties an unfair advantage.

yeah that's exactly what everyone who oppose the changes to our voting system says. Your elections few days before our turned out to be really bad for us
Reply 15
I do agree that FPTP is unfair to underdog parties (the SNP came on on top purely because they were concentrated in a few constituencies). I don't know what would replace it though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
All you morons, quite frankly, labelling UKIP a 'right wing' party.

Is that why they snatched up a huge proportion of the old working class vote in the North of England? Get a real political education!

Still, while the system annoys me, I am a believer in strong central government even though I support UKIP.
but they dont :dontknow:
They got 13% of the vote which should give them around 80 seats......not 100. Well that's if you are looking at votes from all over the union
Reply 19
Original post by Exon
I do agree that FPTP is unfair to underdog parties (the SNP came on on top purely because they were concentrated in a few constituencies). I don't know what would replace it though.

The SNP were indeed concentrated in a "few" constituencies. Called Scotland. In which they won nearly all the seats they contested.

Latest

Trending

Trending