The Student Room Group

Conservatives. You Reap What You Sow.

Scroll to see replies

Take the tinfoil hat off OP. You're clearly blowing this out of proportion to suit your anti tory agenda.
Reply 81
Original post by felamaslen
That's nuts. Who else would it be for?

As i said, I don't know, but its not just Muslims, May has already told us it will catch neo-Nazis.

We're not at war with anyone else. The far right has been relegated to obscurity and has not been a threat for a very long time. The far left is a threat, but not because of communism - because it sympathises with the Islamists, who are the real threat.

So the far left may be a target? how far left?
Reply 82
I'm not actually being obtuse. Maybe you need to spell out what you really mean and we can take the discussion further.

Ok I have two questions:

1. Do you want to live in a Police State ?

If you didn't already know:

Police State:
a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

2. Can you see how the decisions that David Cameron has made, seem to indicate that we are heading in the direction of a Police State?
I think that the threat of Islamic extremism has been distorted into a gut-wrenching fear by the politics and media of the last 14 years. The UK government hasn't made clear since 2001 how many terrorist acts they have disrupted, I should think potentially 100, so arguably the stripping away of the right to privacy and public assembly/association may have saved thousands of lives from terrorism (out of our ~70 mil population).

This erosion was started by the Conservatives by Thatcher for public order reasons, and no modern party would do anything differently. The perceived fear of disorder is so great. I guess the view expunged here is that the Conservative Party are good at dealing with threats to our society, because they are prepared to challenge liberal ideology. It seems Conservative voters prefer to absorb themselves in their constructed lives free of interference beyond what is necessary to protect the same level of freedom for the rest of society at large.

Would someone who generally agrees with this position (or disagrees on the exact detail) please state what informs their view? Above has covered the idea that Islamic extremists wish to impose totalitarian denial of most human rights, that any state interference is likely to cause a noticeable impact on the law-abiding citizen, and that the Conservatives are invested in providing the best for society.
Reply 84
Original post by Libertah
I think that the threat of Islamic extremism has been distorted into a gut-wrenching fear by the politics and media of the last 14 years. The UK government hasn't made clear since 2001 how many terrorist acts they have disrupted, I should think potentially 100, so arguably the stripping away of the right to privacy and public assembly/association may have saved thousands of lives from terrorism (out of our ~70 mil population).

This erosion was started by the Conservatives by Thatcher for public order reasons, and no modern party would do anything differently. The perceived fear of disorder is so great. I guess the view expunged here is that the Conservative Party are good at dealing with threats to our society, because they are prepared to challenge liberal ideology. It seems Conservative voters prefer to absorb themselves in their constructed lives free of interference beyond what is necessary to protect the same level of freedom for the rest of society at large.

Would someone who generally agrees with this position (or disagrees on the exact detail) please state what informs their view? Above has covered the idea that Islamic extremists wish to impose totalitarian denial of most human rights, that any state interference is likely to cause a noticeable impact on the law-abiding citizen, and that the Conservatives are invested in providing the best for society.

Anyone that thinks Cameron intends on stopping here is fool. Just you wait, once the next big event comes, we will once again see people bending over backwards, handing over further freedoms.

My biggest fear is that, in 10 years time, I will live in a bleak world where the freedom to criticise those in power and to actively protest ideas openly, will no longer exist.
Original post by DiddyDec
What freedoms are being lost?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The freedom, for example, to oppose the government.
Tories rule
Reply 87
Original post by Xin Xang
"Britain is too “passively tolerant” and should not leave people to live their lives as they please just because they obey the law, David Cameron has said."

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

You reap what you sow.

We are rapidly moving towards a police state, all because of the greed of the Conservative voters.

Yes the poorest will be the first to go down.

But it looks like you're going down with the rest of us.

Two things. One, grow up and stop whinging like a small child who lost its sweeties! Two, don't depend upon every word that The Independent publishes as they are the most narrow-minded, backwards media outlet on the planet...I wouldn't use that paper in an "emergency".
Original post by JTLP
My exact reaction to every piece of journalism produced by the Independent within the last 3 or so years

It'd be nice if the Indy actually did just write an unbiased, factual newspaper without bull**** commentary like this. It's extremely disappointing that it's so left-leaning. :sigh:
Original post by scbond
Two things. One, grow up and stop whinging like a small child who lost its sweeties! Two, don't depend upon every word that The Independent publishes as they are the most narrow-minded, backwards media outlet on the planet...I wouldn't use that paper in an "emergency".

Fox News.

Pwnt.
Ok I have two questions:

1. Do you want to live in a Police State ?

If you didn't already know:

Police State:
a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

2. Can you see how the decisions that David Cameron has made, seem to indicate that we are heading in the direction of a Police State?

No I don't, no I can't.
Original post by n00
As i said, I don't know, but its not just Muslims, May has already told us it will catch neo-Nazis.

So the far left may be a target? how far left?

Only the elements of the far left which stand up for Islamism, since communism is not a threat (any more, at least - not that it was ever that much of a threat in Britain). You can go as left as you like as long as you don't go round supporting Islamofascists.

Neo-nazis and Islamists have quite a lot in common, so I wouldn't say that extremism encompassing that too is unwarranted. Both would be a threat to freedom if they had any influence.
Reply 92
Original post by whorace
low market regulation

I'm not sure that's a good thing
Reply 93
Original post by demx9
I'm not sure that's a good thing

Depends

There's the parasite wealthy who consume and hoard money

Then there's the wealth creators

The market needs some freedom to create wealth.
Reply 94
Original post by whorace
Depends

There's the parasite wealthy who consume and hoard money

Then there's the wealth creators

The market needs some freedom to create wealth.

you're saying there is not enough freedom right now ?
Reply 95
Original post by demx9
you're saying there is not enough freedom right now ?

Not for small business. Barrier to entry is high and multinationals get off with too much.
Reply 96
"Britain is too “passively tolerant” and should not leave people to live their lives as they please just because they obey the law, David Cameron has said."

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

You reap what you sow.

We are rapidly moving towards a police state, all because of the greed of the Conservative voters.

Frankly speaking, this is not the first idea by the Conservative party (or in this case, by or expressed by, its most senior member) which I find baffling - to say the least or put it mildly.
Original post by DiddyDec
This is good news. Finally the hate preachers in Birmingham city centre will be removed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which hate preachers in Birmingham city centre?

You reap what you sow.

They got the majority vote, the fact that you and a few others dont like it is irrelevant if you believe in democracy, no? the majority get the final say.
Yeah you would like that wouldn't you. You Conservatives seem to love getting f****d in the ass by Cameron. I assume that's what you mean by "further".

Please show more respect for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Us Conservatives would never have talked about Brown in such an unflattering way, and neither should you about Cameron - who has the best interests of the country at heart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending