The Student Room Group

The Pill and 7 days break

Hey everyone
I've just started on the pill and will finish my 21 pills in a couple of days. I know that there is a 7 day period where I don't need to take the pill.

Is it safe to have unprotected sex then?

Also I'm planning on stopping the pill since I'll be leaving uni soon so will not take another course after the 7 day period. Does this mean I can get pregnant on the 7 day break?
or can we have uprotected sex for the 7 day break and then use protection if we have to after?

thx

Scroll to see replies

Wait you're onlt taking it for a month? I don't see much point in that really? Major upheaval for your body for little reason. Also, PLEASE READ YOUR BOOKLET CAREFULLY. I am under the impression that for the first month or so you are advised to use extra protection while your body gets used to it. I may be wrong there as I've been on it a long time now, but I would be very careful about relying solely on it if you're only on it for such a short time.
I've been prescribed the pill for the first time and have read about it thoroughly.
For the 21 day pill, the hormones that are preventing you from getting pregnant in the pills will still be in effect and protect you during your 7 day break where you should then get a "withdrawal bleed" (it will look a bit like a period). You are protected the whole month, even during the break.

But for not taking a new course after the break? Then that would count as missed pills from the next pack (but in your case it's a permanent abandonment). Go back to condoms, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aftrglw
Your pills always know if you're planning to abandon them, so no... you can't have sex on your seven day break if you're quitting afterwards. A lonely pill is an angry pill. If they feel deserted, which they will if you're not planning on taking them, they'll be looking for excuses to get you preggers. **** the pill and the pill will **** you back, usually just after you've been ******. Consider yourself warned...

Well actually, technically the (on the pills I have been on anyway) you should be protected on the 7 day break, but after this the ovaries start to 'wake up' as one nurse said, so if you have sex on the 7th day of the break, (and sperm can survive for hours inside you) then technically there may be a risk of pregnancy if you do not begin to take the pill again the next day to put the ovaries 'back to sleep' as it were, as if an egg is released and there are still sperm inside you... ? Not sure how likely this would be though?
What about after the 7 day break and I start my new pack of pills? Am I protected from my first pill of the new pack or am I only protected after taking them for a week?

I got a bit confused with many telling me that I need to wait 7 days and others who said I don't..

If anyone can clarify that for me it'll be great.
If anyone can clarify this it'll be really appreciated..

So if I were to start a new pack after my 7 day break, am I protected immediately after my first pill of the new pack?

Some people told me that I'll only be protected after my 7th pill, while others think otherwise.
You are protected during the 7 day break, and once you start the new pack. That is the beauty of the 7 day break. HOWEVER if you have only gone on the pill recently, it is wise to take extra precuations for the first 1-2 months of it altogether, as it is not guaranteed that you are fully protected while your body gets used to it. After that point, yes, provided you don't forget to take one and you take them at the same time every day.

The 7 days thing refers to when you start on the pill- you are protected after 7 days. This doesn't mean every time after the break, only the very beginning. It wouldn't be very effective or popular if it was unreliable 1 week in 4!
(edited 11 years ago)
I know this isn't an answer but I can't find an answer to this question anywhere, can I take a 3 week break from the pill and then start on it as normal again without problems or will there be problematic effects??
Hi I was wondering can your period come anytime during the 7 day break as I stopped mines on the wed and it still hasnt came , I am getting the symptoms of having my period like cramps etc but no bleeding yet, Im getting really worried , someone help me
Reply 9
Original post by stephanie130394
Hi I was wondering can your period come anytime during the 7 day break as I stopped mines on the wed and it still hasnt came , I am getting the symptoms of having my period like cramps etc but no bleeding yet, Im getting really worried , someone help me

This is normal, I had to wait four days once. Try not to worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much
Thanks I got my period yesterday such a relief :smile:
Hi
wanted to know while taking the pill I haven't taken the 7 days break and I have continued using the pill. Is that alright?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
wanted to know while taking the pill I haven't taken the 7 days break and I have continued using the pill. Is that alright?

What pill are you on?

With most pills you can do this, but for a maximum of 3 packs (and I would only feel comfortable doing 2).

You are protected whilst doing this but you may get a slight breakthrough bleed.

After a maximum of 3 packs you must take a 7 day break.
Thank you for answering that. And yes right now I'm going through the break through period and im still on my first pack about to finish but it isn't as heavy as a normal period, when will this bleeding stop?
Reply 15
big question i have, all those people asking about the pill, why didn't you ask your doctor about it when you were put on it?
Better yet, why haven't you read the leaflet within the pill pack?

It's really not that hard to understand...
Original post by Shazzarr
big question i have, all those people asking about the pill, why didn't you ask your doctor about it when you were put on it?
Better yet, why haven't you read the leaflet within the pill pack?

It's really not that hard to understand...

Sometimes it's not so clear. I read all of my leaflet and it said it's fine to run packs together. But it didn't say if I should do this with only two packs or if I can do it indefinitely. I eventually found out that I can run three together but might have some spotting if I do.

So yeah. I can understand if people have read the leaflets and not understood something. Plus if it's your first prescription you can't really ask your GP about it. As you generally have to go to the pharmacy, and you can't really read the whole leaflet during an appointment even if you did get it directly from your GP.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm on my 7day poll break, and I came on my period on the 4th day of the break, do I start taking the pill after the 7 days or wait until my period goes and start a new pack?
Original post by Bellaaaaaa
I'm on my 7day poll break, and I came on my period on the 4th day of the break, do I start taking the pill after the 7 days or wait until my period goes and start a new pack?

take it after 7 days:smile:
Reply 19
I'm on my 7 day break now and I'm due to start taking the pill again on Monday however I don't think my period will stop by then. Do I wait till my period stops or continue taking the pill as of Monday? If I do that, what will happen to my period?

Quick Reply

Latest