The Student Room Group

Which university course should I apply To?

I have just finished GCSEs and I haven't got the results yet obviously :smile: but I've chosen my AS level options as following:
History
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
So which uni courses would be a good fit for my A levels? (I know medicine is, but besides that) although I'm still considering it. History and Bio are my favourite. Maths and then Chem.
Wait till you've done your AS levels.
You can't say you enjoy a subject and want to study it at uni, if you've only done it to GCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
+1 I did biology and history at GCSE and loved them and got As. At AS I still loved history and got a very high B, I HATED biology and got an E.

I dropped Biology, and am predicted an A in history at A2.

Things change lots over the next couple of years.
No one can make this decision for you... you'll probably become passionate about something during your AS year. Don't rush it, though.
Thanks guys... I'm just so tired of being indecisive!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above. You have quite a few options here, I think. I'd wait until say, Christmas and then start researching. You'd hopefully then be able to decide which ones you're better at / which one you'd want to drop, etc.
Original post by OU Student
As above. You have quite a few options here, I think. I'd wait until say, Christmas and then start researching. You'd hopefully then be able to decide which ones you're better at / which one you'd want to drop, etc.

Thanks so much for reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I Know it's tempting to pick a subject based on it making sense but I have learnt from experience that no matter how logical it is, if you don't feel passionate about a course then it'll never work out. Browse the courses, read about them, maybe do work experience, then pick your course in A2 when you've had time to think :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Manny_khalae
I have just finished GCSEs and I haven't got the results yet obviously :smile: but I've chosen my AS level options as following:
History
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
So which uni courses would be a good fit for my A levels? (I know medicine is, but besides that) although I'm still considering it. History and Bio are my favourite. Maths and then Chem.

I did all those A levels! I've chosen to do biomedical sciences and potentially go into medicine afterwards.

Pretty much any non-physics based science would be viable so biochemistry, pharmacy, biomedical sciences etc.

You could also do history related things as well as archaeology, anthropology etc. Archaeology and anthropology will bring in biology.

Then law is an option as no particular subjects are required for that.
History
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

probably biology, maths, history and chemistry uni courses would be good for the a levels you're doing lmao 😂
but in all seriousness your choice choices actually open options for most university courses :smile:
Reply 10
History
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

I'd advise against Bio, Chem and History; the employment rate is terrible.

Medicine is a sure thing but if you don't want to do it then maybe economics.
Original post by cacra
I'd advise against Bio, Chem and History; the employment rate is terrible.

Medicine is a sure thing but if you don't want to do it then maybe economics.

I'd think that Bio and Chem are in high demand considering how many STEMnazis are on this forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Moonstruck16
I'd think that Bio and Chem are in high demand considering how many STEMnazis are on this forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemical engineering is ok and some of the bio-medical degrees are decent.

But just look at the graduate employment rates and prospects for Chemistry and Biology, in some cases it is barely above History; the last time I checked Chemistry was below History nationwide iirc.

A lot of people do fall into the trap of 'it is STEM therefore it must be valued by employers.' Unfortunately they are wrong.
Original post by cacra
Chemical engineering is ok and some of the bio-medical degrees are decent.

But just look at the graduate employment rates and prospects for Chemistry and Biology, in some cases it is barely above History; the last time I checked Chemistry was below History nationwide iirc.

A lot of people do fall into the trap of 'it is STEM therefore it must be valued by employers.' Unfortunately they are wrong.

That last phrase is like the national anthem of TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
with maths you also have access to many economics, finance, and accounting courses at university
Thanks for the replies! Does anyone do history a level? Is it very time consuming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending