The Student Room Group

Adjustment advice?

Its my first time posting on TSR and I am in need of some guidance. I recently found out that I exceeded my expected grades and I am now wondering whether I should choose University of Bristol (Russell Group) or University of Surrey for the LLB Law course (2015)...

help me guys :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReeceBerini
Its my first time posting on TSR and I am in need of some guidance. I recently found out that I exceeded my expected grades and I am now wondering whether I should choose University of Bristol (Russell Group) or University of Surrey for the LLB Law course (2015)...

Have they both offered you a place?
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Have they both offered you a place?

Yes, I have been on the phone to both of them and they have given me a verbal offer.
Reply 3
Yes, I have been on the phone to both of them and they have given me a verbal offer.

I thought you're only allowed to do this once adjustment officially starts between Aug. 13-31? Can you ring up unis before this period then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by goodwinning
I thought you're only allowed to do this once adjustment officially starts between Aug. 13-31? Can you ring up unis before this period then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you ring before hand and certain uni's are able to give you an offer.. on the basis that on the day of adjustment you do ring them asap to secure your offer.. or at least thats what I was told by their admissions department. I was asking which is the offer I should accept on the date.
Reply 5
Yes you ring before hand and certain uni's are able to give you an offer.. on the basis that on the day of adjustment you do ring them asap to secure your offer.. or at least thats what I was told by their admissions department. I was asking which is the offer I should accept on the date.

I had no idea you're allowed to do that. May give that a try myself. I was under the impression that you can only contact unis in regards to adjustment on or after results day.

And for what it's worth, I'd probably choose Bristol because I know someone doing law there and he loves it. Also, it's a target uni if that matters to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those are both amazing universities. Don't think you can really go wrong whichever you pick. Exactly what factors are you looking for?
Welcome to TSR :hi:

What's important to you in a university? If you can answer that then it will allow us to give you info that's relevant to you.

I don't know what your career ambitions are, but if they involve getting a training contract, then the data suggests that your chances are substantially higher at Bristol http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

I had no idea you're allowed to do that. May give that a try myself. I was under the impression that you can only contact unis in regards to adjustment on or after results day.
And for what it's worth, I'd probably choose Bristol because I know someone doing law there and he loves it. Also, it's a target uni if that matters to you.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's different if you've already got your results, as the OP has.
Bristol. **** Surrey.

What grades did you get out of interest?
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets

I've already got my results too. I just thought the same rules apply for everyone when it comes to adjustment.
I've already got my results too. I just thought the same rules apply for everyone when it comes to adjustment.

Sorry - my mistake https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

However, Clearing is already open, and as Bristol has listed their Clearing places already (and law is available to international students) I suspect that that's the route the OP has gone down.
Reply 11
Original post by callum_law
Bristol. **** Surrey.

What grades did you get out of interest?

Sorry for the late reply I achieved A*A*A* and I am still looking at Bristol and rather than Surrey I have decided to apply also for York, I had a Skype interview and successfully passed for York. They have offered me a place based on how well I performed plus results.. However I have to wait for the head of admissions to put the seal on that confirmation. So my options are still open, York and Bristol are both russell group so as long as I have gained a place I'm not to worried. Idealistically I want Bristol however for them to 'officially' confirm the offer they have given me I have to wait until GCE results day. Lol I've probably confused you all...>.<
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
Welcome to TSR :hi:

What's important to you in a university? If you can answer that then it will allow us to give you info that's relevant to you.

I don't know what your career ambitions are, but if they involve getting a training contract, then the data suggests that your chances are substantially higher at Bristol http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Thanks for that link, although I have already established that I am going to a Russell Group uni it has opened my eyes up and shown me what most legal employers are looking for from a uni. :smile:

Bristol is pretty much the perfect city. Just putting that out there. :u:
Reply 14
Original post by IIEquinoxII

I take it you study there or live there ? :biggrin:
I take it you study there or live there ? :biggrin:

Lived there for a couple of years, and regularly visit family there, it's got a good balance between being pleasant, and also having lots of stuff to do :biggrin:
Original post by IIEquinoxII

Have to agree with that. I lived there for 19 years and it's a great place to live :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The balance with Adjustment is between the aspirational awesomeness of going somewhere that wasn't previously on your radar as a possibility; and getting your head round a complete change of plans that happens very quickly. On that front, I'd be asking some practical questions, like what accommodation you would be able to get at each of the universities offering you a place. You might find that one starts to pull ahead when you have a clearer picture of those kinds of details.
before considering Bristol, as the poster before me has mentioned, you should most definitely consider accommodation first! Because the Bristol accommodation deadline has already passed, so there is very limited choice in residencies left.. the ones which are still available are either extremely expensive or not very nice to live in. So you must factor that in, or look for very last minute private accommodation
Sorry for the late reply I achieved A*A*A* and I am still looking at Bristol and rather than Surrey I have decided to apply also for York, I had a Skype interview and successfully passed for York. They have offered me a place based on how well I performed plus results.. However I have to wait for the head of admissions to put the seal on that confirmation. So my options are still open, York and Bristol are both russell group so as long as I have gained a place I'm not to worried. Idealistically I want Bristol however for them to 'officially' confirm the offer they have given me I have to wait until GCE results day. Lol I've probably confused you all...>.<

With adjustment there are a couple of things to watch out for

First as the previous post suggests - ask about accommodation. You'll have a very different experience at any of these universities if you have to find private accommodation between now and the start of the course and live outside halls.

Secondly (and most importantly) be VERY clear with these universities that you have not accepted their offers YET and are still exploring your options.

When adjustment opens and you hit the button on Track on the 13th you don't submit your application to your chosen university (like in Clearing) instead ANY university that you've spoken to that believe you've accepted an offer can go in and pick you up...so there is a risk if you've been speaking to multiple universities that one of them could misunderstand that you were asking for an offer and not accepting an offer and could go in and fish you out of adjustment.

Basically with all of them if they make you an offer thank them politely and explain that you will contact them on the 13th when you're in adjustment and would like them to formalise your place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending