The Student Room Group

University application process help?

Okay so basically I've just done my AS year and am trying to be organised and start choosing my courses I will apply for in university.
I've been doing my research early and have decided what I want to do. Also, i'm aware that we apply early A2 year and I was wondering whether any one of you would be kind enough to talk me through the process of applying to uni? I will be applying through UCAS.

***However what I'm unsure about is whether we choose 5 uni's or 5 courses?? Are we allowed to choose more than one course at the same uni??

Thanks a million:h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you choose 5 courses at any 5 universities this can be 5 courses at 5 different universities, 5 courses at the same university and so on
Original post by Summer Rose
Okay so basically I've just done my AS year and am trying to be organised and start choosing my courses I will apply for in university.
I've been doing my research early and have decided what I want to do. Also, i'm aware that we apply early A2 year and I was wondering whether any one of you would be kind enough to talk me through the process of applying to uni? I will be applying through UCAS.

***However what I'm unsure about is whether we choose 5 uni's or 5 courses?? Are we allowed to choose more than one course at the same uni??

its 5 choices, they can all be at any uni and you can apply to the same uni for different courses if you wanted. But make sure they're not too different or your personal statement would be difficult to write
Original post by Summer Rose

I will move this to the Applications forum where you will find a wealth of stickies and articles to help you. Everything is also explained very clearly for you on Ucas: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
its 5 choices, they can all be at any uni and you can apply to the same uni for different courses if you wanted. But make sure they're not too different or your personal statement would be difficult to write

Thankyou! I'm applying for all psychology based subjects
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I will move this to the Applications forum where you will find a wealth of stickies and articles to help you. Everything is also explained very clearly for you on Ucas: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started

Thankyouuu!!
Original post by SamuelSingleton
you choose 5 courses at any 5 universities this can be 5 courses at 5 different universities, 5 courses at the same university and so on

Suppose you write more than one personal statement, can they be for completely different courses or does it have to be for a course similar?
Does your school/college not help guide you? Is there any teacher or member of staff you could ask to guide you?

You need to set up a UCAS account if you have not done so already, and fill out all the personal details on there, like address etc.
Put all of your exam results on there - GCSE's and AS's (even U's!), plus what you're studying for A2.
Write your personal statement if you have not done so already - remember to stick to the line and character limit.
You can choose up to five courses from any University, although it is not recommended to apply for the same Uni more than once as it looks better to be dedicated to a single course, but you can if you want.

To be honest, even though it was only a year ago, I've forgotten half the application process! I remember it was fairly simple as UCAS helps to guide you through it all.
I hope this helps!
Original post by kandykissesxox
Suppose you write more than one personal statement, can they be for completely different courses or does it have to be for a course similar?

you only get to upload 1 personal statement to UCAS. So if you choose to apply to different universities, you generally have to stick to the same course throughout. It would be difficult to apply to 1 university for all 5 courses as you wouldn't be able to really tailor one personal statement to suit 5 different choices :smile:
you only get to upload 1 personal statement to UCAS. So if you choose to apply to different universities, you generally have to stick to the same course throughout. It would be difficult to apply to 1 university for all 5 courses as you wouldn't be able to really tailor one personal statement to suit 5 different choices :smile:

Damn, so i'll need to make a decision . Thank you:colondollar::biggrin:
Original post by izzyft
Does your school/college not help guide you? Is there any teacher or member of staff you could ask to guide you?

You need to set up a UCAS account if you have not done so already, and fill out all the personal details on there, like address etc.
Put all of your exam results on there - GCSE's and AS's (even U's!), plus what you're studying for A2.
Write your personal statement if you have not done so already - remember to stick to the line and character limit.
You can choose up to five courses from any University, although it is not recommended to apply for the same Uni more than once as it looks better to be dedicated to a single course, but you can if you want.

To be honest, even though it was only a year ago, I've forgotten half the application process! I remember it was fairly simple as UCAS helps to guide you through it all.
I hope this helps!

Yeah UCAS is very simple to operate and your college should tell you how (and when) to apply all in due course.

I'm assuming you're still at college and just wanting to get in the early to be prepared?
One thing stopping you is that you need your school/college buzzword in order to actually start your application. So whilst you could start writing a personal statement and looking at courses, you can't actually start your application until the new academic year where you can get this information.

obviously if you're a private candidate then you could by all means start now - but i have a feeling that you're not :smile: (all directed at OP)

You can't write more than one ps for the Ucas form and combining two courses in one is a recipe for rejection as all universities get the same ps and you will come over as indecisive, uncommitted or simply confused as to what the course is about.
You can't write more than one ps for the Ucas form and combining two courses in one is a recipe for rejection as all universities get the same ps and you will come over as indecisive, uncommitted or simply confused as to what the course is about.

Ok, thank you. I will keep this in mind.
Damn, so i'll need to make a decision . Thank you:colondollar::biggrin:

In the unlikely event that you don't get any offers or meet the grades of your offer OR if you exceed the grades and want to find a better course or university - you can rewrite a new personal statement tailored to the course choice and email it directly to the universities to look at if you apply to a new course through extra, clearing or adjustment :smile:

honestly this will all be explained by your school/college so don't worry if you don't understand or haven't heard of anything I just said haha.

General rule though is yeah, you can only apply to one subject as you only get 1 personal statement on the initial application :smile:
In the unlikely event that you don't get any offers or meet the grades of your offer OR if you exceed the grades and want to find a better course or university - you can rewrite a new personal statement tailored to the course choice and email it directly to the universities to look at if you apply to a new course through extra, clearing or adjustment :smile:

honestly this will all be explained by your school/college so don't worry if you don't understand or haven't heard of anything I just said haha.

General rule though is yeah, you can only apply to one subject as you only get 1 personal statement on the initial application :smile:

I was just a bit confused because I've heard of some people that applied to more than one course so they had more than one personal statement.

But thank you so much!:tongue:
If you have't got great AS grades and you are retaking some of the exams where do you write that on the UCAS form? Or do you even write that on the UCAS form?
Original post by izzyft

I hope this helps!

Thankyou! Yes that cleared up a lot:smile:
Original post by Laurenafenete
If you have't got great AS grades and you are retaking some of the exams where do you write that on the UCAS form? Or do you even write that on the UCAS form?

I'm in the same position as you right now, i passed my AS levels, two B's and a C.... I wasn't sure if i needed to resit so i'm just waiting for enrollment into A2.

And yeah I heard you do write them, you're supposed to write down anything you've failed or what your re-siting too, UCAS check for fraud first and harshy. Anything that doesn't add up you can get into a lot of trouble for:/
Original post by Laurenafenete

You put down all achieved grades and then you put down the ones you are resitting with the grades as 'pending'.
You put down all achieved grades and then you put down the ones you are resitting with the grades as 'pending'.

Ok so if I am retaking some of my maths exams for AS I write my maths AS grade as pending??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending