The Student Room Group

Embarrassed about buying condoms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
The shop I was in didn't have self service but I think I will find somewhere that does. Thanks for the advice.

Frankly, if you're too self-conscious even to buy condoms then I'd recommend 'self-service' in preference to actually having sex.
Original post by Ayaz123
You can get free condoms from my college :P Plus they have so many different flavours so yeah :smile: maybe ask your college?

Be careful of quality, a few of us had the free ones from uni split. Better to shell out for durex really!
Reply 22
Original post by Mankytoes
Be careful of quality, a few of us had the free ones from uni split. Better to shell out for durex really!

Yeah true but im just saying :smile: I never take school ones anyways
Reply 23
Remember that the cashier/shop assistants who see you will sell, probably daily, the following items:

Condoms
Lube
Female Sanitary Products
Diarrhea medication
Constipation medication
Moist toilet wipes
Pregnancy tests
Water infection/thrush medicine

And if a pharmacy/well stocked supermarket:
Headlice treatments
Piles cream
Athletes foot medicine
Products for smelly feet

They will not care that you are buying condoms. And if it's mildly embarrassing (natural as you are sharing something about your personal life with a stranger) then it's only for a short while. Just do it.
I'm a pharmacist who has been selling condoms, seling the morning after pill and talking to people about all sorts of personal things for many years and I don't find it remotely embarrassing.

But send me in to buy a box of tampax for myself from a young male assistant and I desperately look around for a lady instead. No logic to it at all. You can't help what you find embarasing!

What I would suggest you do is look online to see what brand etc you are after and then you can just stroll in to whatever shop you've chosen and know what you getting rather than have to worry about what to choose. Buy something else at same time so it looks like it's just part of your regular shopping if it makes you feel more comfortable. Look at the Website of whatever store you choose so they more likely to have same brands. Or you could order online and have delivered to a store ( I'm guessing you wouldn't want delivered to house ) then you are just collecting a brown box that could have anything in.

But probably easier just to buy them from store and I promise you'll be forgotten about as soon as you've picked up your change!

Also worth mentioning there will be MANY places to get them free especially since you are a young person. A couple of minutes googling should reveal what's avaialble where in your area.

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Free%20condoms/LocationSearch/732
Original post by kpwxx
Remember that the cashier/shop assistants who see you will sell, probably daily, the following items:

Condoms
Lube
Female Sanitary Products
Diarrhea medication
Constipation medication
Moist toilet wipes
Pregnancy tests
Water infection/thrush medicine

And if a pharmacy/well stocked supermarket:
Headlice treatments
Piles cream
Athletes foot medicine
Products for smelly feet

They will not care that you are buying condoms. And if it's mildly embarrassing (natural as you are sharing something about your personal life with a stranger) then it's only for a short while. Just do it.

I can verify this :smile:

The only time we snigger is when suspicious items follow one another down the conveyor belt: condoms and lube followed by a cucumber, then a selection of strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce etc... True story.

Did you check they were in date? I got some from the LGBTQ+ room on campus once which were out of date. But all condoms sold (and I guess therefore ones handed out for free) have to have a kitemark on them to prove they're safe.
just get them off the internet then amazon sell them
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Did you check they were in date? I got some from the LGBTQ+ room on campus once which were out of date. But all condoms sold (and I guess therefore ones handed out for free) have to have a kitemark on them to prove they're safe.

Yeah they definitely were, even top quality condoms can break, it's a lot of friction pressure on a thin layer of rubber (I always used to think this was guys humble bragging about their dick size as you can get one over your arm, but mine is bang average and I had them break twice). Obviously this isn't advisable for people having casual sex because of disease, but we actually found the pull out method better.
LOL

Trust me when i say: Nobody cares. Not one iota. Not one flying ****.
Yeah they definitely were, even top quality condoms can break, it's a lot of friction pressure on a thin layer of rubber (I always used to think this was guys humble bragging about their dick size as you can get one over your arm, but mine is bang average and I had them break twice). Obviously this isn't advisable for people having casual sex because of disease, but we actually found the pull out method better.

The size of a condom is the girth so you need to make sure you get the right size. Also lube.

Did you store them in the right conditions? Cool place. Protected from friction. Etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't you have to be sixteen, so the thing will buzz and call a staff member over?

First time I bought condoms, the middle aged female check out girl giggled.

Ohh I didn't think about that! Aww xD
Original post by Anonymous
Where is the best place to buy condoms? Next week i will be losing my virginity but when I go in the shop to buy condoms it feels like everyone is staring. I don't even know what type to buy because I didn't know there were as many different types as there are. What type is best to buy if I want everything to go well and be as enjoyable as possible and so there is little chance of the condom splitting? Where is the best place to buy condoms?

Why don't you order them online?

Idk what the big deal is.
Make sure to cut the ice... When the cashier says "would you like a bag with that" keep a totally straight face and don't even look up as you're getting your cash out, and say "nahhh, she's not that ugly mate". Can't go wrong :wink:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The size of a condom is the girth so you need to make sure you get the right size. Also lube.

Did you store them in the right conditions? Cool place. Protected from friction. Etc.

Well I dunno but I'd say my girth is pretty average too! I never felt condoms were a problem in that way. Different sizes aren't readily available anyway. Never used lube, but I've never seen the need for vaginal if the girl is properly wet.

Nope in my wallet, which I know could be the problem, though I did rotate, as this was when I had a girlfriend they could have been there long, kept them in the box aside from that.

Original post by Hevachan
Ohh I didn't think about that! Aww xD

Yeah I was eighteen but looked very young for it. Not great for my confidence...
everyone saying he's not ready as if a teenage lad is going to cancel the sex because tsr said so. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
You don't have to be 16 to buy condoms.
There's no legal age restriction on them. Trust me, I've worked in Tesco for a couple of years and have had to deal with their repeat legal training...

The government isn't so backward that it discourages people from protected sex in a bid to stop young people having sex altogether...

And honestly OP, I've had men of all shapes, ages and varieties bring condoms to the counter. It's not an issue, I think no more of it than a guy buying a packet of crisps.
Just give a cheeky wink to the cashier
Well I dunno but I'd say my girth is pretty average too! I never felt condoms were a problem in that way. Different sizes aren't readily available anyway. Never used lube, but I've never seen the need for vaginal if the girl is properly wet.

Nope in my wallet, which I know could be the problem, though I did rotate, as this was when I had a girlfriend they could have been there long, kept them in the box aside from that.

Yeah I was eighteen but looked very young for it. Not great for my confidence...

Just think about it like this: the amount a vagina naturally lubricates is not evolved for use with condoms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending