The Student Room Group

How to ask to go on the pill

Exactly what the title saids, i want to start taking birth control pills so i know exactly when my period comes because i've joined sports societies at uni and i don't want suprises, would that be stupid if i say that? Do i just ring up my gp and be like hey i want to go on birth control, because the receptionist always asks what are you calling for and i don't know what exactly to say to her. Is it best to call gp or call the sexual health centre?

anyone tell me how you approached getting yours/ how the appointment went, like things they say.

i'm 20 yrs old if thats relevant
Reply 1
I dunno about where you live but where i am theres a timetable for sexual health clinic drop ins and you can just walk in and say youre there for the 'drop in' and theyll just say take a seat til the nurse calls your name (if you havent been before u have to fill in a form with name/dob/address/contact details)

if not you can ring your gp make an appointment and if they ask say its about sexual health

ive done both of these :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been on the pill since I was 15 (due to a holiday to India - didnt want a surprise period attack!) I simply told my nurse this and she understood completely. I explained I wanted the control and reduced preggerz risk...

To make my appointment, I just asked for a nurse appointment :smile:
Just have an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her why you want to start taking a pill. i'm sure they'll understand
I know the sexual health clinic in my uni town won't give them to you if its for period control as opposed to birth control, so if you go to a clinic, just lie and say you're in a relationship. A couple of my friends had to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lascelles
I know the sexual health clinic in my uni town won't give them to you if its for period control as opposed to birth control, so if you go to a clinic, just lie and say you're in a relationship. A couple of my friends had to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh really, now i don't know what to say to them over the phone, start of by;

Hi could i speak to the practice nurse and if she saids why, i should say about sexual health.

and not mention it for the purpose of controlling my period? i just feel like i might slip up if i lie and they ask how sexually active am i, because I'm not lol, but i guess i wouldn't mind it for that purpose, for when i do have sex and my body would already be used to the artificial hormones and rountine.

I'm going to go to the GP not a clinic so do you think they will still give it to me?
Original post by Anonymous

Hi could i speak to the practice nurse and if she saids why, i should say about sexual health.

and not mention it for the purpose of controlling my period? i just feel like i might slip up if i lie and they ask how sexually active am i, because I'm not lol, but i guess i wouldn't mind it for that purpose, for when i do have sex and my body would already be used to the artificial hormones and rountine.

I'm going to go to the GP not a clinic so do you think they will still give it to me?

I'm almost 100% sure the GP would still give it to you.

In terms of how sexually active you are, I don't think it really matters to them. They can issue you contraceptives even if you're not currently sexually active, and at most they'll ask you a few questions about this (eg "have you had unprotected sex in the last ... months?" or "when were you last sexually active?") so it's no big deal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A GP will give it to you to control periods, it's just the clinic that might not. You'll be fine telling the Dr./nurse the real reasons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for your help guys :smile:, i'm gonna try and call them when I'm off work, hopefully they will give it to me as i can barely move when on my period :frown:
Reply 9
The Receptionist is only asking what you want the appointment for so they can make sure you get the appropriate length/type of appointment, with the right person, you are under no obligation to tell them. Just say it is personal and you would rather not discuss it and that a standard appointment will be fine. Ask for an appointment with a GP you feel comfortable with and then just tell them what you have posted here. It helps if you have done a bit of research as to the pros/cons etc of the pill beforehand, but they will still want to explain this to you (that is part of their job, they are not trying to put you off). It is highly unlikely they are going to refuse to prescribe it for you unless there is some medical reason why it is not appropriate for you.
Reply 10
I just visit my local doctors and explain why I would like the pill (I haven't waited for the sexual health clinic)
They normally ask you about your sexual health and if you've had any history of blood clots and strokes in your family
Thank you xx

I called my GP but they said I'm not registered with them anymore because I'm registered at the university's, so i gave them a call to have an appointment with the nurse for 'contraception' and they said i'll have to call back due to the nurse not leaving her schedule. so i'm going to call back next week but i don't know how to begin with how to ask her to go on it to see if it could control pains, because it's the university's practice do you think they'll prescribe it to me and can i have repeat prescriptions at uni? should i call to say for contraception, i just thought it would be easier to say thats what the appointments for.
Reply 12
Thank you xx

I called my GP but they said I'm not registered with them anymore because I'm registered at the university's, so i gave them a call to have an appointment with the nurse for 'contraception' and they said i'll have to call back due to the nurse not leaving her schedule. so i'm going to call back next week but i don't know how to begin with how to ask her to go on it to see if it could control pains, because it's the university's practice do you think they'll prescribe it to me and can i have repeat prescriptions at uni? should i call to say for contraception, i just thought it would be easier to say thats what the appointments for.

She will prescribe it to you for either contraception or period pains. Just explain the problem, they are not going to mind one way or another.
You would usually be given 3 months tablet initially to make sure it suited you,, then either 6 or twelve months at a time. Repeats can be obtained from the University. Don't worry, they will have seen thousands of people like yourself, and won't be bothered about it in the slightest :smile:
Thank you everyone, I had my appointment today it was quick and easy i just got a 3 months worth on rigevidon to see how it goes, i forgot to ask, if it's the one for me how do i get more do i have to book another appointment once its all finished or will they call me or can i just order it over the phone i'm confused, thanks.
Reply 14
Thank you everyone, I had my appointment today it was quick and easy i just got a 3 months worth on rigevidon to see how it goes, i forgot to ask, if it's the one for me how do i get more do i have to book another appointment once its all finished or will they call me or can i just order it over the phone i'm confused, thanks.

Glad it all went well :smile:. Follow up arrangements will vary from Surgery to Surgery. Some will like you to have an appointment, so they can check your blood pressure and make sure you are not having any problems, most would be happy with a quick telephone consultation to check there were no difficulties. I would give them a ring a couple of weeks before you run out of pills and ask the Receptionists who will be happy to tell you

You're supposed to go back so that they can do the health check (mainly check blood pressure). I once got a prescription after a phone appointment, on a promise that I'd book an appointment for the blood pressure check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest