The Student Room Group

I really like him but it annoys me that he always wears the same clothes!

Does this make me shallow?

I really like him, and he likes me too he's been flirting like mad, and is always is sure to be next to me within our group (I've tested this and he pretty much follows me around). I can see myself being with him as he's a lovely person, very thoughtful, articulate, intelligent, passionate and so much more :smile: He's tall, slim and not the most conventionally good looking guy but in my eyes he's gorgeous and I'm pretty thrilled by the prospect of being with him.

But it kind of bothers me that he always wears the same clothes everyday (basically I've only seen him in a combination of items of clothing: same blue jeans, same black jeans, same red t shirt, same navy blue t shirt and a hoodie) and I see him several times a week in our social group. I mean don't get me wrong he seems to have good hygiene so he must be doing his laundry. And his family is well off so his limited wardrobe is not due to finances.

I think it's time for me to reciprocate and move things onto the the next level. I definitely do want to date him but I don't want to end up nagging him in the future to change. I don't mind that he wears plain clothes or what he wears in general I just wish he changed them more often! I'm actually even more turned off by men who are high fashion/metrosexual/hipsters but I do appreciate the effort to switch it up a little. If the relationship were to blossom would it be okay to buy him some new t shirts or take him shopping? Or would that be impeding on his own freedom to wear whatever he likes?

Ultimately of course even if he did stick to his ways I would still continue to date him as it's not a deal breaker just a niggling thought.

Your thoughts are appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Buy him clothes if you want but don't nag. If he doesn't care about fashion then he doesn't care about fashion. Simple as that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
How do you know it's the exact same clothes? He could have many jeans and red t shirts.

lol seriously though, who cares about what he wears? It's his choice
it makes you very shallow ye lol. He's probably laid back though. If he is then you can buy him what you want him to wear and he'l probably wear it without caring much lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I really like him, and he likes me too he's been flirting like mad, and is always is sure to be next to me within our group (I've tested this and he pretty much follows me around). I can see myself being with him as he's a lovely person, very thoughtful, articulate, intelligent, passionate and so much more :smile: He's tall, slim and not the most conventionally good looking guy but in my eyes he's gorgeous and I'm pretty thrilled by the prospect of being with him.

But it kind of bothers me that he always wears the same clothes everyday (basically I've only seen him in a combination of items of clothing: same blue jeans, same black jeans, same red t shirt, same navy blue t shirt and a hoodie) and I see him several times a week in our social group. I mean don't get me wrong he seems to have good hygiene so he must be doing his laundry. And his family is well off so his limited wardrobe is not due to finances.

I think it's time for me to reciprocate and move things onto the the next level. I definitely do want to date him but I don't want to end up nagging him in the future to change. I don't mind that he wears plain clothes or what he wears in general I just wish he changed them more often! I'm actually even more turned off by men who are high fashion/metrosexual/hipsters but I do appreciate the effort to switch it up a little. If the relationship were to blossom would it be okay to buy him some new t shirts or take him shopping? Or would that be impeding on his own freedom to wear whatever he likes?

Ultimately of course even if he did stick to his ways I would still continue to date him as it's not a deal breaker just a niggling thought.

I understand where you are coming from. I don't even like wearing the same trousers / joggers / jeans in the same weak, let alone a t-shirt. And it annoys me when people only seem to have like 2 different clothing combos, which they switch back and forth from :lol:

It's not the biggest deal in the world, however, I think if you got together and immediately went shopping for his wardrobe, then he's most likely gonna take offence. Wondering whats wrong with the stuff he already wears. If you feel you had to change it up, you could possibly go shopping together, buy yourself stuff and suggest that something might look good on him, to increase what he has to wear.

But don't say "I think you need new / more clothes", it might kill him :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkhead
Buy him clothes if you want but don't nag. If he doesn't care about fashion then he doesn't care about fashion. Simple as that.

This isn't about fashion if you read my post I'm actually turned off by men wearing fashion it seems kind of feminine to me. I just wish he swapped his t shirts more that's all I've known him for a year and literally only ever seen him wear one of 2 t shirts.

I get where you're coming from, it would drive me mad too. Just take him out shopping, buy him clothes for his birthday etc
Reply 7
It surprises me that this issue is important enough to you for you to make a thread! It is so, so unimportant. He likes you and I can see from your post that there's a lot of good things about him which are drawing you to him. His family might be well off but he might be of limited means himself. Or he might choose to spend his money on stuff other than clothes. Or, it might be that he's only got a few clothes in his wardrobe which he thinks are good enough to wear when he knows he's going to see you, the person he likes. Later on when you know him better you can perhaps broach the subject if it's still worrying you. But by then maybe you'll have learnt to love his lack of interest in his clothes. You've pointed out yourself that you don't like vain men. Go have fun!
(edited 8 years ago)
Does he smell? If he doesn't then get over yourself, really.
This isn't about fashion if you read my post I'm actually turned off by men wearing fashion it seems kind of feminine to me. I just wish he swapped his t shirts more that's all I've known him for a year and literally only ever seen him wear one of 2 t shirts.

I read your post. I shouldn't have used the word "fashion". Fine then. I'll give you another answer:

Buy him clothes if you want but don't nag. If he doesn't care about wasting money on more clothes then he doesn't care about wasting money on more clothes. Simple as that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly this is a ridiculous thing to get worked up about. Not everyone cares if they have a separate outfit for each day of the week, not to mention it's not like everyone can afford to be buying new clothes all the time. Just because his parents are well off it doesn't mean HE is well off. I know plenty of people from well off family's whose parents don't give them money outside of what they NEED...and even then many of my friends are expected to work for everything.

The way you are looking at this is very selfish, it's all about you.
Original post by TwinnyP
I understand where you are coming from. I don't even like wearing the same trousers / joggers / jeans in the same weak, let alone a t-shirt. And it annoys me when people only seem to have like 2 different clothing combos, which they switch back and forth from :lol:

It's not the biggest deal in the world, however, I think if you got together and immediately went shopping for his wardrobe, then he's most likely gonna take offence. Wondering whats wrong with the stuff he already wears. If you feel you had to change it up, you could possibly go shopping together, buy yourself stuff and suggest that something might look good on him, to increase what he has to wear.

But don't say "I think you need new / more clothes", it might kill him :lol:

Oh yes I would definitely wait until further into the relationship. And I would never say 'you need new clothes' I would buy it for him birthday or when we are out in town take him into topman/h&m. There's nothing wrong with what he wears at all he just needs a few additional items to change into sometimes!

But yeah you are right ultimately it doesn't matter he's a great guy and I would be lucky to have him :smile:
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly this is a ridiculous thing to get worked up about. Not everyone cares if they have a separate outfit for each day of the week, not to mention it's not like everyone can afford to be buying new clothes all the time. Just because his parents are well off it doesn't mean HE is well off. I know plenty of people from well off family's whose parents don't give them money outside of what they NEED...and even then many of my friends are expected to work for everything.

Chill out Soph, this isn't believeteam22 :lol:
Original post by TwinnyP
Chill out Soph, this isn't believeteam22 :lol:

Why do I not seem chilled out? :confused:
I'm very calm.
Original post by Alba2013
Does he smell? If he doesn't then get over yourself, really.

No my and OP said he doesn't did you even read it?
Cross bridges when you get to them!
I'm very calm.

So misunderstood :no:
I'm very calm.

Just that last sentence "It's all about you" :lol: :lol:
No my and OP said he doesn't did you even read it?

Only read about half of the OP ,1 paragraph whining about some guy's clothes was enough, didn't need to read 3 to reach my conclusion.

I'm not worked up about it I said I still like him and I'm happy that he likes me too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending