The Student Room Group

Too ugly for social media

Please anon, this is embarrassing.

I am female and don't have any social media accounts because a) I am too ugly to be in pictures for all the world to see I feel sick when I think of lots of people seeing me and b) I'm scared of looking like a billy no mates and a loser.

I had a facebook account like 6 years ago but deleted it where I had less than 100 friends. I saw a course mate log onto face book and she had over 2000 friends! I couldn't believe it and all our course mates had 100s if not 1000s of friends, lots of photos, people messaging them on the profile all the time. I've counted roughly in my head how many I friends would get and it would now only be about 50 including family.

My dilemma is now at uni a lot of people us facebook to bond, form community, invite people out etc. so I'm missing out on that. So it's kind of like I need to join to make more friendships, but I'm scared of joining because I don't have many friends and I don't want to look like an anti social loser! But I'm so lonely it's really getting to me.

I hate the thought of being tagged in years worth of ugly photos as well :frown:

What should I do?
I don't always look great in photos- nobody does. Regardless I never delete any photos I'm tagged in. It's your face dude- you wear it on a daily basis! People know you look like that so what is there to hide?? I'm sure you don't look so bad anyway. Facebook isn't necessary but it's a great way of keeping memories. Don't let your insecurities hold you back. Social media is all bull**** anyway. I have like 900 facebook friends and in all honesty I'm only friends with about 40 of them.
you don't need social media. just your email and phone
Firstly it's probably all in your head, who told you you were ugly?

Secondly not having many FB doesn't make you unattractive, you probably aren't being noticed for other reasons.

I know plenty of extremely hot girls on FB that have less 100 friends, it's got nothing t do with how attractive you're.

You're probably beautiful and you don't even know it.:wink:
Original post by Anonymous

I am female and don't have any social media accounts because a) I am too ugly to be in pictures for all the world to see I feel sick when I think of lots of people seeing me and b) I'm scared of looking like a billy no mates and a loser.

I had a facebook account like 6 years ago but deleted it where I had less than 100 friends. I saw a course mate log onto face book and she had over 2000 friends! I couldn't believe it and all our course mates had 100s if not 1000s of friends, lots of photos, people messaging them on the profile all the time. I've counted roughly in my head how many I friends would get and it would now only be about 50 including family.

My dilemma is now at uni a lot of people us facebook to bond, form community, invite people out etc. so I'm missing out on that. So it's kind of like I need to join to make more friendships, but I'm scared of joining because I don't have many friends and I don't want to look like an anti social loser! But I'm so lonely it's really getting to me.

I hate the thought of being tagged in years worth of ugly photos as well :frown:

What should I do?

Hide your friends list from other people under privacy options.
Sorry to sound rude but you are an idiot. You make yourself sound like the kind of person where they view popularity over an actual friendship. 2000 friends on FB means **** all and quite frankly most of them will barely know her (you aren't going to have the time to have a friendship with that many). Less than 100 people does not make you anti social or a loser. What matters is having actual friends who actually mean something to you.
I have 4 fb friends. Stop being ungrateful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

What should I do?

Is ugly your reaction to having a few friends, or are you like deformed or something because I really don't think anyone is too ugly for social media. Just compliment yourself and if need be, edit your photos :tongue: Also ask someone to take a photo of you because selfies sometimes make me nervous like how I'm awkwardly holding it. For a perfect photo I set a timer and sit the phone or camera somewhere stable and pose, then edit what I don't like :teehee: I also decorate my photos with borders sometimes, I dunno. Or I ask someone to hold it. If I don't want to friend someone on social media it's because we seem to have nothing in common, their approach, or they don't post/update a lot so I feel like why bother, or they take horrible photos like the lighting, the angle and lack of eye for editing...:s-smilie: Never because they don't look like Brad Pitt. Also if you're shy about your information being seen, set it to private :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by phoenixsilver
I have 4 fb friends. Stop being ungrateful.

4 friends is quite impressive for a doge in space
Reply 9
I've a face like a bag of smashed crabs and less than 100 friends of facebook. I do know them all, though, and I can contact them via phone as well as facebook. Folk with 2000 "friends", really? Real friends are your friends no matter how you think you look. Anybody else just isn't worth bothering with.
people with more than 500 friends are kind of lame also you can change it so people can't see your friends
I understand what you mean. I deactivated my account for a year and a bit only to reactivate it so I could keep in contact with people. I think social media is overrated tbh, it's just another way to try be the most popular. I'm ugly and hate taking photos so my FB is fairly plain but at least I can talk to people at times.
Besides, 'Facebook friends' are often people you have barely seen but kind of recognise, adding you because they look popular if they have 700+ 'friends'. It's silly really but I have been worried about the same things as well in the past. You do see through it in tthe end and realise that other things are more important.
Original post by conroy26
4 friends is quite impressive for a doge in space

my real account.
no joke, I have no friends
3 guys, 2 girls :frown:

so I have 5 actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending