The Student Room Group

Proving my Estrangement from my parents (Help please)

Hi, I need help proving my estrangement (I think thats the right term).

So far, I have been able to prove estrangement from one of my parents but I need help proving that I dont see my other parent.

The situation is that I proved I dont see my mom (due to unfortunate circumstances im not willing to talk about) but I need help proving I dont see my dad.

I stopped seeing him 2 years ago due to the fact that we fell out. He visited me once a week but when we fell out we stopped seeing eachother. Now, student finance want proof to confirm this but I have no way of proving it.

They want either a letter off a teacher, solicitor, doctor or social worker to prove it but I cant get any of them because no one but myself and my immediate family know of my circumstances.

Help, what are my options and how do I prove that I dont see my dad?

I really need help and soon.

Thanks.

GrassThatCowsEat
Go to a solicitor/social worker and ask them if they could help you. Maybe show them your bills or tenancy agreement or bank statement to show that you dont live with your parents and that they dont provide you with financial support. They could possibly write you a note confirming your situation. Can you ask someone from your extended family if they know any social worker/solicitor etc? So that they could talk to this person and explain your situation as well
Original post by driftawaay
Go to a solicitor/social worker and ask them if they could help you. Maybe show them your bills or tenancy agreement or bank statement to show that you dont live with your parents and that they dont provide you with financial support. They could possibly write you a note confirming your situation. Can you ask someone from your extended family if they know any social worker/solicitor etc? So that they could talk to this person and explain your situation as well

Unfortunately, no one in my family knows any social workers or such. One of the terms were that I needed to know the person writing the letter for atleast 12 months which is a problem. I could get the solicitors letter (it would cost me though) but I havent known the solicitor 12 months.
Original post by GrassThatCowsEat
Unfortunately, no one in my family knows any social workers or such. One of the terms were that I needed to know the person writing the letter for atleast 12 months which is a problem. I could get the solicitors letter (it would cost me though) but I havent known the solicitor 12 months.

Oh well explain the situation to the solicitor and ask them to write a letter stating that he has known you for 12 months. They will do it since you are paying them and solicitors are professional liars so don't worry about that. :smile:
Oh well explain the situation to the solicitor and ask them to write a letter stating that he has known you for 12 months. They will do it since you are paying them and solicitors are professional liars so don't worry about that. :smile:

Haha I might. I was just wondering if there were any other options I could persue as Im certain the letter wont work (im going to ring student finance again tomorrow, see if there is anything).

Do you think that a letter signed by my dad would work, explaining that we havent had contact or that we wont have any future contact. I know its a long shot because I cant verify hes my dad nor can I verify that the letter is true.

No they won't lmao :facepalm: :rolleyes: Don't do this.

OP, do you live in a different city to your dad? Are you no longer living with parents? (could show them your housing contract)?

Could try going and explaining the situation to your GP and asking for a letter?
Haha I might. I was just wondering if there were any other options I could persue as Im certain the letter wont work (im going to ring student finance again tomorrow, see if there is anything).

Do you think that a letter signed by my dad would work, explaining that we havent had contact or that we wont have any future contact. I know its a long shot because I cant verify hes my dad nor can I verify that the letter is true.

He isn't on your birth certificate or anything?

Well, I'm not sure if you could do that, because if you get him to sign the paper, that basically shows that you do have contact with him - you got him to sign a letter. So that probably works against you but I'm not sure. :s-smilie: Because then people could just cheat and have their parents sign letters like this so they could get more loans and grants. But if you should ask student finance if that's acceptable just to make sure.

Birth certificate?

Get a letter signed by your dad and witnessed by a solicitor?
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Birth certificate?

Get a letter signed by your dad and witnessed by a solicitor?

I only have the small birth certificate which doesnt have my parents names on it and I have no idea how to get the larger one (or how much it would cost me).

also, I would have no idea how to get a solicitor to witness it
He isn't on your birth certificate or anything?

Well, I'm not sure if you could do that, because if you get him to sign the paper, that basically shows that you do have contact with him - you got him to sign a letter. So that probably works against you but I'm not sure. :s-smilie: Because then people could just cheat and have their parents sign letters like this so they could get more loans and grants. But if you should ask student finance if that's acceptable just to make sure.

I know :frown:. Im just stuck and have no idea what to do
I only have the small birth certificate which doesnt have my parents names on it and I have no idea how to get the larger one (or how much it would cost me).

also, I would have no idea how to get a solicitor to witness it

Look it up, I'm not sure but it might not be too expensive

Just ask its a common service :smile: might cost a bit though. Also ask Student Finance if it would be good enough evidence tomorrow?
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Look it up, I'm not sure but it might not be too expensive

Just ask its a common service :smile: might cost a bit though. Also ask Student Finance if it would be good enough evidence tomorrow?

I might.

The problem is that im stuck and I have no idea what to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending