The Student Room Group

Help me pick: Derby or Chester

Which uni should I choose for an insurance? They are both asking for the same grades. Chester is 4 places higher on the league tables but Derby is nearer home.

Haven't visited either but please can you advise which is better in terms of the city, the nightlife, university quality and reputation?
Im really struggling to choose.

Thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by unihelp98
Which uni should I choose for an insurance? They are both asking for the same grades. Chester is 4 places higher on the league tables but Derby is nearer home.

Haven't visited either but please can you advise which is better in terms of the city, the nightlife, university quality and reputation?
Im really struggling to choose.

Thanks!:biggrin:

No-one can tell you which university you can go to. One person's opinion of a city/nightlife/quality is completely different to anothers. For example... I dislike Birmingham as a city but know several who love it. I'd try and visit both universities if I were you.

Try not to rely on league tables either. Each person has different needs when trying to find THE university. League tables judge all universities by the same standards that don't necessarily suit you. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Derby is an awful university, better not going- my friend's brother went there and hated it. Chester is ok though. May i ask the course and predicted grades/ucas points so i can offer other uni's? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alexp98
Derby is an awful university, better not going- my friend's brother went there and hated it. Chester is ok though. May i ask the course and predicted grades/ucas points so i can offer other uni's? :smile:

I have only for those two because they are the two lowest I have applied for, I can't choose any others
Reply 4
I have only for those two because they are the two lowest I have applied for, I can't choose any others

I may still be able to offer an alternative if you provide more information though.
Reply 5
Original post by alexp98
I may still be able to offer an alternative if you provide more information though.

What would be the point in that? As I've already said I can't apply to anymore.
Reply 6
What would be the point in that? As I've already said I can't apply to anymore.

I thought the same for mine but then after talking to people there were a lot more choices. Entry requirements are very different for each University, I guarantee there will be more options for you, and lets be honest they'll be better than those choices.

Ps- Only trying to help, no need for the biter tone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alexp98
I thought the same for mine but then after talking to people there were a lot more choices. Entry requirements are very different for each University, I guarantee there will be more options for you, and lets be honest they'll be better than those choices.

What don't you understand!!!?? I have already applied and got offers! I am trying to decide which one to put as my insurance!
Reply 8
What don't you understand!!!?? I have already applied and got offers! I am trying to decide which one to put as my insurance!

Oh right, sorry i misunderstood. Thought you were still making up your 5 choices. In that case put Chester, I guess. Again, it would be helpful if you say the subject at least lol. TSR members aren't magicians who magically know what you like and don't or the subject you're taking.
Just put Chester!! It's a nice place, got good restaurants, bars, shops etc.
I live in derby and am planning to go to uni in chester. From what I've seen chester is a beautiful city and derby is a bit if a dump. I don't know much of the uni of derby but I think they have a similar reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started Derby university last month, thought i would hate it but i love it. Everyone i know that goes there loves it too. Don't let anyone else make your mind up for you.
CHESTER! its gorgeous here with super nightlife and the races on in the summer (no brainer this)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending