The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers?

Right, so I just got one of these. So am I right in saying I have to firm this choice for it to be unconditional, and I can still put it as an insurance at which point it becomes conditional?

edit sorry should have put this in the OP, its for Leicester MPhys
(edited 8 years ago)
If you choose to make your unconditional offer your firm choice, you don't need an insurance as you're already automatically accepted for your firm choice. If you choose to make your unconditional offer your insurance, it will remain unconditional but you'll only be accepted for it if you don't get into your firm choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
If you choose to make your unconditional offer your firm choice, you don't need an insurance as you're already automatically accepted for your firm choice. If you choose to make your unconditional offer your insurance, it will remain unconditional but you'll only be accepted for it if you don't get into your firm choice.

Thank you! :smile: that's pretty neat
Original post by 雷尼克
Thank you! :smile: that's pretty neat

Congratulations on your unconditional offer by the way :smile:
Original post by 雷尼克
Right, so I just got one of these. So am I right in saying I have to firm this choice for it to be unconditional, and I can still put it as an insurance at which point it becomes conditional?

If the offer has been stated as being unconditional only if you firmly accept it, then accepting it as insurance will leave it as a conditional offer (though I do not know what the mechanism for making it unconditional is if you firmly accept it at this stage).

Not true for all universities so OP I'd check this for sure. Birmingham at least I know you HAVE to firm it to make it unconditional.

(please don't give info unless you know it's true)
Reply 6
Original post by Good bloke
If the offer has been stated as being unconditional only if you firmly accept it, then accepting it as insurance will leave it as a conditional offer (though I do not know what the mechanism for making it unconditional is if you firmly accept it at this stage).

Original post by emiloujess
Not true for all universities so OP I'd check this for sure. Birmingham at least I know you HAVE to firm it to make it unconditional.(please don't give info unless you know it's true)

Mine just says unconditional, nothing about 'only if firmed'? Its for Leicester MPhys
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 雷尼克
Mine just says unconditional, nothing about 'only if firmed'? Its for Leicester MPhys

Do you already have your results?
Reply 8
Do you already have your results?

no I'm sitting exams summer 2016
Not true for all universities so OP I'd check this for sure. Birmingham at least I know you HAVE to firm it to make it unconditional.

(please don't give info unless you know it's true)

I wasn't aware of that. I did check UCAS before posting but it didn't mention that so I didn't know
Original post by 雷尼克
no I'm sitting exams summer 2016

OK just found this on the website:
A small number of applicants each year receive an unconditional offer. This is an offer of a place on your chosen course with no conditions or requirements.

It seems that you can put it as your firm or insurance as one of the previous posts said. However the poster didn't know the course or university and I know for some you HAVE to firm it so could have easily misled you which was the reason for my previous post. Congratulations though :smile:
I wasn't aware of that. I did check UCAS before posting but it didn't mention that so I didn't know

Well, that is a matter for the universities, so you wouldn't expect UCAS to mention it.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2016.aspx

This is Birmingham's UO page.
Please read the bit in this article (towards the bottom of the page) about the potential issues with accepting an Unconditional offer - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
I got one of those from Reading last year, it looks like it's a completely unconditional offer.

In which case, you can put it as an insurance - if you miss your firm, you'll have a confirmed place regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I got one of those from Reading last year, it looks like it's a completely unconditional offer.

In which case, you can put it as an insurance - if you miss your firm, you'll have a confirmed place regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many grades do you normally have to be above the normal entry requirements to get one?( I understand it takes the whole application into account) Would be so awesome to get one haha.

Ps- Congratz OP :smile:
Original post by alexp98
How many grades do you normally have to be above the normal entry requirements to get one?( I understand it takes the whole application into account) Would be so awesome to get one haha.

Ps- Congratz OP :smile:

Dunno, the entry reqs were like ABB but I got AAABC.
Original post by Princepieman
Dunno, the entry reqs were like ABB but I got AAABC.

Ah, ok thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending