The Student Room Group

Am i underweight?

I'm 18 5"4 and weigh around 87lbs. Im not anorexic, that's when you see your bones etc. I have muscle and I'm just really really slim.. sometimes I cant fit into size 6's so I have to get stuff from the kids section, my bra size is 32A and I've been the same size since I was in year 7 I haven't changed after 6 years..

My mum is really concerned though, she made me visit the doctor and they put me on some sort of diet shake which is supposed to help me put on weight (it tastes disgusting so I sort of throw away each packet day by day so my mum thinks I'm taking it) a couple of days ago she spoke to my doctor about referring me to the dietician.. but I fell my diet is fine and my weight is fine, I have a pretty good balanced diet I just don't eat as much as everyone would expect me to.

Sometimes I'm in school I just cant concentrate I feel sick and dizzy. I am anaemic but I take my tablets for that I feel like this is something else, and there have been numerous occasions where I feel like I'm about to faint but I regain consciousness after a few seconds.

Overall, I feel this year is too much for me, applying for university completing my UCAS i haven't even finished my PS and its already november and on top of that worry about all my A-level exams. I'm really hating my life right now. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 5"4 and weigh around 87lbs. Im not anorexic, that's when you see your bones etc.

How much food do you eat daily? Because "that's when you see your bones" is not a good way to define anorexia at all.

Your body weigh is abnormally low for this height (I'm 106 pounds and a few cm taller than you and apparently I'm already underweight). Feeling dizzy and being unable to concentrate are symptoms of anorexia.

I'm not a doctor, but yeah, I think you are anorexic :frown:
You may feel sick and dizzy if you don't eat enough.
Reply 3
Original post by somnacin
How much food do you eat daily? Because "that's when you see your bones" is not a good way to define anorexia at all.

Your body weigh is abnormally low for this height (I'm 106 pounds and a few cm taller than you and apparently I'm already underweight). Feeling dizzy and being unable to concentrate are symptoms of anorexia.

I'm not a doctor, but yeah, I think you are anorexic :frown:

On a normal school day:
Breakfast- Half a bowl of porridge and maybe a fruit

Lunch- normally skip this because I'm never hungry at this time but sometimes a sandwich or homemade food a decent size.

Dinner- whatever my mum makes but in small portions
and I drink lots of water throughout the day
According to BMI, you're definitely underweight, so that could be the issue. It could also be dehydration, malnutrition, anxiety, onset of diabetes or a problem with your Anaemia medication.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
On a normal school day:
Breakfast- Half a bowl of porridge and maybe a fruit

Lunch- normally skip this because I'm never hungry at this time but sometimes a sandwich or homemade food a decent size.

Dinner- whatever my mum makes but in small portions
and I drink lots of water throughout the day

Probably shouldn't skip out on lunch, even if you're not hungry.
Just check out your callories add some nutrisious food in your daily meal.Consume fat daily routine, Banana and other potato.
Reply 7
Firstly, no, you are not anorexic, because anorexia is a mental health problem whereby people think they're too fat even though they're already skinny. If you don't think your size is a problem, then you're not anorexic.

But, I'm going to be honest with you here, you are eating ridiculously low amounts of food a day. If you do feel faint and dizzy there's a high probability that you're just malnourished- your body is lacking all the nutrients it needs for you to be healthy, and if you're stressed about UCAS on top of everything then that's obviously going to make you feel even worse.

You really really shouldn't skip lunch, your body needs this energy to keep you up during the afternoon. I would highly recommend starting just by eating lunch, because having 2 small meals a day is unhealthy no matter how small/thin you naturally are. If seeing a dietician helps you keep to a healthy food schedule, do it, but explain to them that you eat in small portions.

(Take this from someone who is 20 years old, 5'4 and weighs 99 pounds. My mum worries about my weight too but she knows that I eat 3 good meals a day as well as snacks, and that I excercise too.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest