The Student Room Group

Russel Group Unis

What procedures must a student take both academically and extra-curricular to attain a place at a russel group university (On the basis that my gcse grades are mainly Bs with a couple As and an A*)?
Reply 1
Hi!

The basics really:
- Do as much extra-curric. related to the subject you'll apply to as you can
- Try to get As in your AS exam
- Get on top of work
- Take facilitating/preferred subjects

That's all I can think of atm in order to compensate for the GCSEs (which aren't bad at all, just russel groups are v. picky) :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by kt21
Thank you so much :smile:

universities generally including Russell Group do not really care much about gcse results other than English and Maths. There are a few exceptions but generally 5 gcse's including English and Maths is fine. Your grades appear acceptable to nearly all unis. The key is A level grades and taking the correct subjects for your course. Chemistry or Biology is often required for science courses and Maths is often needed for the likes of Computer Science and Economics. Gcse grade b maths is sometimes required in Maths or English Language
Original post by kt21
What procedures must a student take both academically and extra-curricular to attain a place at a russel group university (On the basis that my gcse grades are mainly Bs with a couple As and an A*)?

I got EEUU the first time in year 12, repeated the year and got ABC. With lots of extra-curricular I managed to get an offer from Cardiff. My GCSEs were 4A, 3B, 3C

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending