The Student Room Group

Entry requirement help needed

Hey guys, I'm predicted to get 28 points in IB but the university I want to attend and the course I want to do are asking for 33 points. With a good personal statement and good letter of recommendations, do I stand a chance to get an offer?
Thanks
Reply 1
It means they will consider your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort who may achieved more than 33.
Original post by KJain8520
Hey guys, I'm predicted to get 28 points in IB but the university I want to attend and the course I want to do are asking for 33 points. With a good personal statement and good letter of recommendations, do I stand a chance to get an offer?
Thanks

Do not apply without emailing them to ask if you stand a chance because it's perfectly possible that they would flat-out reject you for not being predicted the minimum requirements. A good personal statement and reference isn't a substitute for grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
Do not apply without emailing them to ask if you stand a chance because it's perfectly possible that they would flat-out reject you for not being predicted the minimum requirements. A good personal statement and reference isn't a substitute for grades.

One of the universities replied and they're saying that they will view the application as a whole and not just the predicted grades, they'll take into account both the personal statement and academic reference. Also they said that even if my predicted grades are not meeting the requirement, I still have a chance if I have a particularly strong application.
I'm still waiting for 2 universities to reply.
One of the universities replied and they're saying that they will view the application as a whole and not just the predicted grades, they'll take into account both the personal statement and academic reference. Also they said that even if my predicted grades are not meeting the requirement, I still have a chance if I have a particularly strong application.
I'm still waiting for 2 universities to reply.

Okay, but you definitely shouldn't apply to more than a couple of universities with entry requirements higher than your predicted grades otherwise you run a risk of not getting any offers.
Reply 5
Okay, but you definitely shouldn't apply to more than a couple of universities with entry requirements higher than your predicted grades otherwise you run a risk of not getting any offers.

Yes, I will probably apply to 2 aspirational universities and 3 safe universities.
Any idea if university of portsmouth is any good for law? Reputation amongst employers and such? Thanks
Yes, I will probably apply to 2 aspirational universities and 3 safe universities.
Any idea if university of portsmouth is any good for law? Reputation amongst employers and such? Thanks

No idea, sorry :frown: Might want to post something on the University of Portsmouth or Law forum sections.
Reply 7
No idea, sorry :frown: Might want to post something on the University of Portsmouth or Law forum sections.

Not a problem :smile:
Anyways thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Thanks

Given that you're barely passing the IB diploma and you're looking to apply to universities with substantially higher entry grades than you can offer, I wouldn't rate your chances very highly. Unfortunately for you predicted and achieved grades are the most important part of a UK university application.

I'd suggest having a look at degrees with a foundation year, which will take people with lower grades if they do an extra year of study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending