The Student Room Group

Would it bother you if your girlfriend wasn't a gamer?

My boyfriend LOVES gaming, he does a games design course at uni and knows a lot about it. It's his passion. He's also into a lot of other nerdy things like anime, fantasy things etc (to give you an idea, he's the type that would buy those nerdy figures and play those board games). Anyway I know his ex's and friends and they are all very similar to him (the nerdy/gamer type) but I'm nothing like that at all. I'm not into games at all but I'd happily watch him play. Sometimes I feel pretty stupid with my lack of knowledge into this nerdy stuff and I get scared in case he thinks I'm too different to him and maybe don't know enough. He talks about this stuff lots and he gets me to play games lots too (which I don't mind doing) but I'm always so bad so he probably can't enjoy himself as much as if he were playing with a hardcore gamer like himself. Anyway that was long but do you think this matters? Would it bother you if this was your passion more than anything else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldnt care that much tbh if i was a gamer and my gf was or wasn't a gamer tbh😂
Reply 2
I'm sure he won't expect you to be a hardcore gamer but are there not some things that you like to play that you could play with him occassionally that aren't too hard and all levels can play like maybe smash bros, tekken etc?

Plus not being a gamer doesn't make you stupid. A lot of stupid people play a lot of games as well.

I'm sure he doesn't mind otherwise he wouldn't date you. I think it's often bigger problem for the non gamer. Myself for instance I don't mind someone who enjoys them, and I do myself but I'm not really into someone who plays them excessively as I feel there is a whole big real world to explore as well.
couldnt give a **** lol
Reply 4
Nope. Most girls aren't gamers anyway from my experience.
I'm not a guy, but my boyfriend sounds very similar to yours and this doesn't cross my mind. I listen to him talk about games and I've sat there while he's played stuff countless times :lol:You might come across some guys who'd rather you were into it, but honestly, if he's with you, he obviously doesn't mind!

Just be prepared to listen to game-related conversations and sit there sometimes :tongue:
Reply 6
Yes, she has to be lvl 50 at World of Warcraft or she can gtfu.
Reply 7
Original post by jessiyokan
My boyfriend LOVES gaming, he does a games design course at uni and knows a lot about it. It's his passion. He's also into a lot of other nerdy things like anime, fantasy things etc (to give you an idea, he's the type that would buy those nerdy figures and play those board games). Anyway I know his ex's and friends and they are all very similar to him (the nerdy/gamer type) but I'm nothing like that at all. I'm not into games at all but I'd happily watch him play. Sometimes I feel pretty stupid with my lack of knowledge into this nerdy stuff and I get scared in case he thinks I'm too different to him and maybe don't know enough. He talks about this stuff lots and he gets me to play games lots too (which I don't mind doing) but I'm always so bad so he probably can't enjoy himself as much as if he were playing with a hardcore gamer like himself. Anyway that was long but do you think this matters? Would it bother you if this was your passion more than anything else?

Sounds like,you need to up your game checkout Day9 on Starcraft 2 on youtube/twitch tv You beat him at that he will never live it down and your credentials won't be questioned :wink: Trump on hearthstone is also an education if you like a more casual game.
(edited 8 years ago)
No it wouldn't bother me whatsoever. From experience though, in the event my (non-existent) partner plays games (and isn't very good or a regular player) then I don't mind educating them through it, provided it isn't too tedious.. Suppose showing an interest is what matters (for me at least, and a few old friends from school seemed the same).

As has been mentioned. It's probably more problematic for the non-gamer.

Just try and strike conversations with him if he's playing games around you.. Show some interest.. Ask him what game he's playing, what do you do on said game? How do you play said game?
It bothers me more when she tells me she's a gamer, then proceeds to say her favourite game is CoD, DOTA or League
If she can't 360 noscope then.....

:dontknow: I'm sorry
Original post by jessiyokan

It wouldn't bother me! As long as she was willing to try to play and/or alright with watching me play/talk about it!
I wouldn't mind at all, but if she was the type to teamkill on hardcore search and destroy then :hand:
It's so kind of you to show interest in what he does!! I'm sure he appreciates that alot.

How about instead of just focusing on his interest, you try to get him to learn about some of yours as well? That way you both benefit.

But just keep trying. Games are fun xD
Reply 14
Thanks guys these answers make me feel better!
Reply 15
I'd be surprised if she was

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was seeing a girl a few months ago who was a youtube game reviewer and knew as much about games as I did. Very hot and quite successful. I don't know what it was though, I just wasn't really feeling it.

My current girlfriend despises games, can't even hold a pad properly but I'm happier with her.

It's nice to have common interests and it definitely helps to get them in the sack pretty quickly :tongue: but it really isn't that necessary.
lvl 120 dungeoneering or gtfo

jk i dont play games anymore, its not that I dont like them its just that i'm too lazy and would rather watch a film or a tv show instead. But it could be really fun with a gf. I would hope that we'd have some common interests
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
If she's a gamer, she's a keeper
This is exactly me and my boyfriend. I'll occasionally play games with him and take an interest in it but I'm not a gamer myself. He doesn't share my hobby of makeup but he'll happily listen to me go on and on about it :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending