The Student Room Group

I hate everyone on my college course

I'm 18 and male. I've always been really quiet and people have always commented on it. But now in my second year of college everyone is taking the piss out of me because of it. Especially this girl (who everyone hates but still hang around with her) who today said my New Years resolution should be to talk. I found this really offensive but she just laughed (another guy also said it was harsh). I can't tell you how much this hurt me. I don't have a lot of confidence as it is.
At lunch and break times I hang around on my own because when I go to follow the others, they realise it's me and literally run away laughing. I continue to walk behind them and watch them keep looking behind to see where I am.
Also in Tesco today, some of the other guys were in there and when they saw me they looked away and went in a different direction to me. I found it funny when they couldn't get a parking space at college and had to walk back in the pouring rain (I parked in the college close to my building).
So I prefer to be alone than be with them. Another reason is they always talk about sex. Literally 95% sex and 5% cars. I absolutely love cars (just not the ones they talk about (Vauxhall)). But I've never had sex, never had girlfriend even. They keep asking me really personal questions which I refuse to answer but they get pissed off with me.
I also don't have any other friends which doesn't bother me too much but I would like a girlfriend.
Anyone else had any similar experiences and some advice on what to do?
Most appreciated to all replies.
Sorry it's long.
Cool story bruv. Just ignore them. The world is full of douches.
How much longer are you going to be at college for? They sound extremely immature as if they haven't grown out of childish behaviour from school, if you aren't at college for a long time, I'd say just ignore them or perhaps speak to the head of your course?
Sort of, but I dont get ridiculed for being quiet. My friends know me as the TLV
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
How much longer are you going to be at college for? They sound extremely immature as if they haven't grown out of childish behaviour from school, if you aren't at college for a long time, I'd say just ignore them or perhaps speak to the head of your course?

This is my last year of college so only a few more months. They do act extremely childish for their age. They're all 18/19. I'll do my best to ignore them. It's hard to avoid the personal questions though.
Original post by DavidYYY
This is my last year of college so only a few more months. They do act extremely childish for their age. They're all 18/19. I'll do my best to ignore them. It's hard to avoid the personal questions though.

That's understandable, if they weren't so childish I would perhaps just politely ask them to refrain from asking these questions but you probably know how they'd react from their behaviour, I'd say just stick it out for now and don't let them know it bothers you :h: good luck with the rest of your course!
Hi David

I've always been incredibly shy and reserved like you. People used to comment on it occasionally, however I was ignored for the most part. One time when my history teacher asked me to read something out, someone dropped something while I was talking, and he said "Ooh (my name), someone dropped a pencil and drowned you out. Could you start again?", which I thought was really rude, and that made me realise just how quiet I was. I didn't become any less shy though, and I remained the same throughout sixth form.

I didn't make any new friends in sixth form, just a couple of acquaintances. I also stopped interacting with my friends from high school after the first year, as they started ignoring me and excluding me from their conversations. All I can suggest is for you to avoid them as much as you can, so that you don't have to deal with their taunting/questioning so much. And remember, you won't have to put up with them forever!

You can PM me if you would like someone to talk to :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Blondie987
That's understandable, if they weren't so childish I would perhaps just politely ask them to refrain from asking these questions but you probably know how they'd react from their behaviour, I'd say just stick it out for now and don't let them know it bothers you :h: good luck with the rest of your course!

Yeah I'll leave em alone hopefully they'll do the same with me.
Thanks, I enjoy the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by cbreef
Sort of, but I dont get ridiculed for being quiet. My friends know me as the TLV

What does the TLV mean?
Yeah I'll leave em aloneness hopeful they'll do the same with me.
Thanks, I enjoy the course.

No problem, I'm sure you'll meet much better people when you leave college
What does the TLV mean?

Finally, as stupid as it is, it stands for tall lanky virgin *face palm*
Original post by cbreef
Finally, as stupid as it is, it stands for tall lanky virgin *face palm*

Haha that's an interesting name. Sounds exactly me to be fair.
I have always wondered if I am the weird one who doesn’t care or want to make friends in colleges. I have no trouble having conversion with others, in fact I usually have a lot of fun discussing in class. Outside of class however I despise almost all students. Everyone seem to put up this out going, my life is amazing personality while we all know how miserable college life can be. Everyone is always acting like their lives are better than others. like busy going out and party a lot think they better than everyone else. It down right unbearable to watch. I swear to god it pisses me off how main stream videos define a good college life require you to make friend and go out and have fun. Meanwhile they still wonder why they have procrastination. It is nothing but a sorry excuse for not face up to your problems. The most important thing in college is to prepare for your transition into real life, and to live is to face your problem head on.Fast forward…So yeah I was right about having friends in college. Do not worry about making friends in college if it going to force you to put on a fake smile. Be yourself. Once you enter the real world you WILL find people that inspire you and share the same mindsets. Please don’t be desperate to find friends. Friends are your amazing people so keep your standard high.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending