The Student Room Group

Diet recommendations..

Right, need some advice.

After one takeaway too many probably, I've decided that I want to start to lose some weight. I'm not in a position for the gym yet but what's the best advice in terms of a diet? I'm around 5'11 and weight 13 stone! I'm turning 30 in September and want to feel and look good by then.

My diet is woeful atm, I know it's difficult for me to stay away from takeaways but I feel if I can wean myself off slowly then I could keep it under discipline.

I need to know what I should be intaking but food which is something I can cook myself easily (my 'cooking' is restricted to microwave/oven use!) would be great!
Original post by Aky786UK
Right, need some advice.

After one takeaway too many probably, I've decided that I want to start to lose some weight. I'm not in a position for the gym yet but what's the best advice in terms of a diet? I'm around 5'11 and weight 13 stone! I'm turning 30 in September and want to feel and look good by then.

My diet is woeful atm, I know it's difficult for me to stay away from takeaways but I feel if I can wean myself off slowly then I could keep it under discipline.

I need to know what I should be intaking but food which is something I can cook myself easily (my 'cooking' is restricted to microwave/oven use!) would be great!

In the morning for breakfast try something healthy like porridge or egg, peanut butter, banana and bread with margarine etc.

Then try to cut back on takeaways and try to have it twice a week then once a week then 1 every 2 weeks and it should be ok from there.

If you dont know how to cook then you need to learn - jacket potato is a good start with some runner beans and other vegetables and most importantly try to skip dessert and have a banana or apple.

But I am only 15 so if my advice is shi- then you dont need to listen
(edited 8 years ago)
Agree with what he said above for breakfast. Weetabix, porridge etc.

Lots of water.
Personally i can last without food longer in the am and early pm rather than later at night. So maybe you can't have breakfast later on but lunch wise delay it until as late as possible (depends on work) would help as you'd have dinner late so stoping binging on sweets etc.

My main advice is get 'myfitnesspal' (a free app or can access on computer) and track calories. Aim to lost 1lb a week. 2 stone would leave you fairly trim at 11 stone. 32 weeks until September roughly so 28lbs to lose.

The app will do it for you but 500 calories a day is what you need to be cutting by.
You could cut by a touch more and allow a saturday night takeaway.

Personally i'd have 1 day a week where i broke even. Say saturday. Allowed a few pints etc but stay religious the over 6 days and as long as you don't go mental on that 'cheat' day then you'll lose weight consistently and still can have some flexibility.
Doesn't matter what you eat as long as its below your TDEE.
Not for me but I've heard good things about the 5:2 diet as well as carb cycling.
Reply 5
Original post by keromedic
Not for me but I've heard good things about the 5:2 diet as well as carb cycling.

That's something I am leaning towards. I'm used to fasting, plus I don't think my intake during weekdays is that heavy besides a chipbutty on a Friday afternoon!

Over two days this week, drank more water, started on a daily carrot, and lighter meals

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to cut out the takeaways completely, I have one per week when I'm dieting down - try limiting it to one day a week as a treat, and when you do have it try not to go overboard, there's no need to stuff yourself until you can't move.

Combine that with an overall calorie deficit (get your estimated daily calorie expenditure here http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and go from there) and the one meal a week won't hinder your results. You don't have to make any extravagant food, just make sure you stick to your calorie "budget".

Original post by keromedic

5:2 is good, the basis is it facilitates overall weekly calorie restriction which is key in weight loss. Carb cycling is only going to make a significant difference in those that are already very lean and looking to get into contest shape as the body becomes super sensitive to insulin and water retention.

Quick Reply

Latest