The Student Room Group

Parents want to check my bank statement.

I just want to know if this a common thing or not. I am 20 years old, study at a university 2 hours from home. I have always had strict Indian parents who have never let me go out much, have many friends or just generally care about my opinion on things.
For a while now they have been wanting to check my bank statement and get it posted to their house every month. I don't have anything bad on my bank statement, don't make any unnecessary payments or use it for drugs or alcohol. I just know that if I do show them they will just complain about how much money I spend and have a go at me and I don't really want to deal with that. Just to confirm I don't get money from them, I saved up from a previous job and use student finance.
Any advice would be appreciated.. thank you!
Reply 1
Go paperless its what I do. You live away from them?
Reply 2
Original post by chikane
Go paperless its what I do. You live away from them?

I am, but my mom told me to email it to her today so kind of hard to come up with excuses. Term time yes at university but during summer I have to go back home which I hate so much.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I am, but my mom told me to email it to her today so kind of hard to come up with excuses. Term time yes at university but during summer I have to go back home which I hate so much.

Just ignore her and keep asking why, if they haven't given you a single penny why should they see your statement you aren't a child.
Reply 4
Original post by chikane
Just ignore her and keep asking why, if they haven't given you a single penny why should they see your statement you aren't a child.

I just don't know how long I can carry on this for though and yes thank you for agreeing with my opinion too!
It's illegal to look at confidential information. It would be nice if your parents sent you their bank statement.

Do you know why they ask this - is it because they are struggling financially, or they genuinely have a reason not to trust you with your money, or have you bought something (like a car or designer stuff) to make them wonder why you're not saving?) orrr...are they checking where you have been by looking at your contactless payments?

If they genuinely aren't budging, open another account which you actually use. Or stop paying for things by card and take out cash, that way you don't have a trail of where you have been.
Reply 7
They would probably show me theirs if I did ask but I don't want to.
No it's not because of that, I feel like it is because they don't trust me, growing up I haven't been allowed to do much socially (friends, parties, hobbies) and for some reason they think that the older I get the more I am getting out of their 'grip' so they can't control me as they could when I was a child.
I think opening another account is a good idea but then I will have to transfer money from this account and surely that would show up? I would use cash but then again most of my shopping is online.
Thank you everyone for the help btw!
I just want to know if this a common thing or not. I am 20 years old, study at a university 2 hours from home. I have always had strict Indian parents who have never let me go out much, have many friends or just generally care about my opinion on things.
For a while now they have been wanting to check my bank statement and get it posted to their house every month. I don't have anything bad on my bank statement, don't make any unnecessary payments or use it for drugs or alcohol. I just know that if I do show them they will just complain about how much money I spend and have a go at me and I don't really want to deal with that. Just to confirm I don't get money from them, I saved up from a previous job and use student finance.
Any advice would be appreciated.. thank you!

My mum does this with mine and my brother's statements and it's so bloody annoying. I hate all the questions that she asks and how she complains about every single thing I spend my money on. I've kinda worked out what days my statement comes home now so I try and get it before she can see it.
Reply 9
My mum does this with mine and my brother's statements and it's so bloody annoying. I hate all the questions that she asks and how she complains about every single thing I spend my money on. I've kinda worked out what days my statement comes home now so I try and get it before she can see it.

Hah, that's what I did with my high school attendance reports.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending