The Student Room Group

Would you have an arranged marriage?

Scroll to see replies

No.

Can I just ask, you say yes but then say on the condition that you can agree to the choice etc. etc. - is that not exactly what an arranged marriage isn't?
Got an auntt thats trying this with me now lol.
In short when im ready i would and right now i aint ready
Reply 22
Original post by ivybridge
No.

Can I just ask, you say yes but then say on the condition that you can agree to the choice etc. etc. - is that not exactly what an arranged marriage isn't?

an arranged marriage is when your parents find someone for you and you marry them, what your talking about is a forced marriage
Original post by mkap
an arranged marriage is when your parents find someone for you and you marry them, what your talking about is a forced marriage

But in the majority of cases they seem to be part-and-parcel of the same thing.

Why not choose for yourself if you want the choice anyway? I just don't get the point...
Reply 24
Original post by ivybridge
But in the majority of cases they seem to be part-and-parcel of the same thing.Why not choose for yourself if you want the choice anyway? I just don't get the point...

I have the choice to choose for myself, but id rather my parents do the work for me haha
Original post by mkap
I have the choice to choose for myself, but id rather my parents do the work for me haha

Seems ridiculous to me but each to their own.
Reply 26
No my parents wouldn't even do that I can easily find for myself
Bs when you say looks don't matter
Reply 28
I am Asian but no - my parents are not Muslim so they would not be looking for a wife for me within my best interests, so it is something I will have to do on my own :redface:
An arranged marriage . . . ha. I'm not that desperate for a relationship where I have to resort to someone else's matchmaking. An arranged marriage would mean admitting that I am not able to find someone on my own and that I'm completely out of options. And then there's the question of whether I really want to get married :P

Besides, I think it's pretty obvious that the option of an 'arranged marriage' is seen as a viable option to only a small demographic of the UK population. The rest would be thinking, What on Earth are you on about??
Original post by mkap
I would; If my parents found someone for me to marry and i agreed with them then I would marry them. Luckily my parents would never make me marry someone I don't want to or someone from back home.

If i was to get married then what I look for in a guy, my parents do to; Most importantly religion (Islam) and then education. Looks don't bother me tbh. If i found someone that i want to marry them and im 90% sure they would say yes.

Wby guys, if your parents found someone for you, what would you do/say?

Well tbh when it comes to the time I'd be open to it. Like if the interest is mutual with the guy and I'd need to get to know them for a bit before going into something drastic.
I come from an asian christian family so likewise they'd want someone from the same culture and religion. And my parents would never make me marry someone i don't like, they've told me that if I end up liking someone in the future just come and tell them and they'll do the rest :innocent:
But in a way I'd rather prefer I find someone on my own but if I don't it's in the hands of my parents i guess, seeing as us asians have some sort of expiry date in terms of marriage :curious:
Reply 31
Original post by donutellme
Bs when you say looks don't matter

you dont know me, im not lying

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Well tbh when it comes to the time I'd be open to it. Like if the interest is mutual with the guy and I'd need to get to know them for a bit before going into something drastic.
I come from an asian christian family so likewise they'd want someone from the same culture and religion. And my parents would never make me marry someone i don't like, they've told me that if I end up liking someone in the future just come and tell them and they'll do the rest :innocent:
But in a way I'd rather prefer I find someone on my own but if I don't it's in the hands of my parents i guess, seeing as us asians have some sort of expiry date in terms of marriage :curious:

yeah i get you :smile:
God no.

I'd rather be a single lady with dogs and cats than have an arranged marriage.
Reply 33
Yeah.
No.

My parents would pick someone I totally hated.
Reply 35
Original post by Dick Diamonds
No.

My parents would pick someone I totally hated.

On purpose, or inevitably?
Original post by areh
On purpose, or inevitably?

Not intentionally, they just have priorities which are too sensible.

It would be a nerdy, pretty girl, from a compatible background who would keep me in check, in the most ball-busting obnoxious way possible.
Reply 37

It would be a nerdy, pretty girl, from a compatible background who would keep me in check, in the most ball-busting obnoxious way possible.

What do you mean keep you in check and why would that be a bad thing? :curious:

Spoiler

Original post by areh
What do you mean keep you in check and why would that be a bad thing? :curious:

Spoiler

My mama would have her on speed-dial and every evening it would be, 'Did he eat all his vegetables? How are things in the bedroom? Is he being a good husband?'
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
My mama would have her on speed-dial and every evening it would be, 'Did he eat all his vegetables? How are things in the bedroom? Is he being a knob?'

dead :rofl:

whats to say your mother won't be doing that regardless? :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending