The Student Room Group

Studying in Germany?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gingersnap777
Hi there, just posting this in case there's anyone thinking about studying in Germany and wanting help, advice or information! I was considering it and got as far as sitting my language proficiency exams (yeah, I was going to go hardcore and not go for an English-speaking university!) before I decided to stay in the UK. So I know a lot and can help!

I've also lived in Germany and know German students/alumni from several universities, as well as a woman who works to help international students get scholarships... so yeah! I could ask them questions for you too.

P.S I was applying for Sociology but I can link Science people helpful websites if I don't know the answers :smile:

Hey there, may I know what the A-Level requirements are like for Heidelberg, Freiburg and LMU-Munich? Social sciences, languages and humanities. Have not decided completely. Thanks!
Reply 21
Hi Im a second year student looking to apply to uni in Germany. I want to do Economics there. I have strong GCSE results but I didn't do too well at AS but im resitting some and hope to improve my grades. This year im doing A2 Biology, A2 Religious Studies and AS Economics and AS German. I've been looking at some universities but im not familiar with how I apply to them as an international student. If anyone has any advice on how I go about actually submitting an application I would be very grateful. Also I don't understand how to match my qualifications with the requirements of German universities so if anyone could help with that too please. Thank you.
Reply 22
Original post by NadiaTSR
Hi Im a second year student looking to apply to uni in Germany. I want to do Economics there. I have strong GCSE results but I didn't do too well at AS but im resitting some and hope to improve my grades. This year im doing A2 Biology, A2 Religious Studies and AS Economics and AS German. I've been looking at some universities but im not familiar with how I apply to them as an international student. If anyone has any advice on how I go about actually submitting an application I would be very grateful. Also I don't understand how to match my qualifications with the requirements of German universities so if anyone could help with that too please. Thank you.

Hey, I've applied to Leibniz Uni in Hannover for Computer Science and have been accepted. I don't think they have a system like UCAS in UK, but then again ive only applied to the one uni. Some courses are hard to get a place on and some easier and have unlimited places. Compared to UK unis, it seems that entry requirements are more dependant on the course and less on the reputation of the uni.You can look online how your A level results match up to German Abitur scores. All I needed to do was send in my application directly to them using their application forms online. Then I visited the uni and showed them my GCSE, A levels, passport etc and language certificate. I don't think you need to go to them in person, I only did that because I live there.
Hi there, just posting this in case there's anyone thinking about studying in Germany and wanting help, advice or information! I was considering it and got as far as sitting my language proficiency exams (yeah, I was going to go hardcore and not go for an English-speaking university!) before I decided to stay in the UK. So I know a lot and can help!

I've also lived in Germany and know German students/alumni from several universities, as well as a woman who works to help international students get scholarships... so yeah! I could ask them questions for you too.

P.S I was applying for Sociology but I can link Science people helpful websites if I don't know the answers :smile:

hey idk if u can help me im currently studying o levels and a level maybe an extra as level too i wanna complete and have completed some of theseEnglish as a second language , biology, physics , chemistry , business ,accounting, information computer techology (ict) , math i guess all extended nothing at all core and AS math and biology + A2 biology so i wanna apply in germany a public university i wanna get a scholarship but idk how to do it i wanna know if i can get accepted if i get all these subjects A* and only one A or B (probably english) i wanna know the mininum subjects i need here i need to get where i want probably gonna study dentistry so idk if u can help me pls ? btw i'm sorry but i dont know any other subject but english
Reply 24

Hello. I could use some help. The deadline for the summer semester was on the 15th of January. I didn't know about medicine in Germany then.:frown:. So, i think i'll have to apply for the winter semester. I am completing my GCE A levels in june 2016. Did you know anyone who studied medicine with British A level qualifications? Also, i don't speak German. So, i would have to follow a german preparatory course. Can u pls me some info?
Thanx
Reply 25
Original post by Roryrow
Hello. I could use some help. The deadline for the summer semester was on the 15th of January. I didn't know about medicine in Germany then.:frown:. So, i think i'll have to apply for the winter semester. I am completing my GCE A levels in june 2016. Did you know anyone who studied medicine with British A level qualifications? Also, i don't speak German. So, i would have to follow a german preparatory course. Can u pls me some info?
Thanx

Hi there, I'm German, although I haven't studied in Germany, I know a bit about the system. Do you speak no German at all? Then it's going to be really hard, unless you are some kind of language genius. You can take a German course, though. Most German universities offer them, and there are a lot of private providers, too. Probably the same goes for the UK, but I know that the Goethe-Institute offers a variety of courses in London and Glasgow, plus some online learning. But German universities usually want about B2 level, and that's near impossible to achieve in a couple of months.

About the British qualifications I don't know much, but for medicine you need to be good. Very, very good. This is, for German students, either determined by the average of your final grades, or something called the Medizinertest, an examination that you can sit in April I think, or a combination of the two. You should check the universities' individual websites or write to the admissions offices. Anyway, if you want to apply for the WiSe, then you've got plenty of time, I think last year the deadline was the 15th of July. But check if there is a different deadline for international students.

Anyway, I hope that helps! But maybe you should go for medicine in the UK, and do an Erasmus placement or semester abroad in Germany rather than doing the full degree there, if you don't speak the language.
Reply 26
Original post by spaces
Hi there, I'm German, although I haven't studied in Germany, I know a bit about the system. Do you speak no German at all? Then it's going to be really hard, unless you are some kind of language genius. You can take a German course, though. Most German universities offer them, and there are a lot of private providers, too. Probably the same goes for the UK, but I know that the Goethe-Institute offers a variety of courses in London and Glasgow, plus some online learning. But German universities usually want about B2 level, and that's near impossible to achieve in a couple of months.

About the British qualifications I don't know much, but for medicine you need to be good. Very, very good. This is, for German students, either determined by the average of your final grades, or something called the Medizinertest, an examination that you can sit in April I think, or a combination of the two. You should check the universities' individual websites or write to the admissions offices. Anyway, if you want to apply for the WiSe, then you've got plenty of time, I think last year the deadline was the 15th of July. But check if there is a different deadline for international students.

Anyway, I hope that helps! But maybe you should go for medicine in the UK, and do an Erasmus placement or semester abroad in Germany rather than doing the full degree there, if you don't speak the language.

Hi. Thank u so much for the info. I haven't sent my application anywhere in england because it's so expensive for international students. I was actually thinking about learning german for a year before i begin. Would that be enough to reach the level the universities want?
Reply 27
Original post by Roryrow
Hi. Thank u so much for the info. I haven't sent my application anywhere in england because it's so expensive for international students. I was actually thinking about learning german for a year before i begin. Would that be enough to reach the level the universities want?

Depends really, although I think it's definitely a good idea, to get to know the place and decide whether you would want to spend 6+ years there to do a degree. Where exactly are you from, if I may ask? Because if you are from the EU/EEA or certain partner countries, it might be worth it to look at the European Voluntary Service programme. If you're lucky, you'll find a placement in Germany (or Austria). It's fully funded, and the language course is included. However, you'll have to really throw yourself into it and invest a lot of time and energy. But it is doable. Do you speak any other languages apart from English? That will help.

Anyway, you'd still have to find out beforehand what level the universities exactly want, so that you are sure your qualifications are adequate. Good luck!
Reply 28
Original post by spaces
Depends really, although I think it's definitely a good idea, to get to know the place and decide whether you would want to spend 6+ years there to do a degree. Where exactly are you from, if I may ask? Because if you are from the EU/EEA or certain partner countries, it might be worth it to look at the European Voluntary Service programme. If you're lucky, you'll find a placement in Germany (or Austria). It's fully funded, and the language course is included. However, you'll have to really throw yourself into it and invest a lot of time and energy. But it is doable. Do you speak any other languages apart from English? That will help.

Anyway, you'd still have to find out beforehand what level the universities exactly want, so that you are sure your qualifications are adequate. Good luck!

I'm Sri Lankan. But i live in Saudi Arabia and sit for the British patterned exams. Students from my school don't generally go to Europe because of the need to learn the language. Some of them go to england, if they can afford it, but the rest just remain in saudi arabia or go back home to sri lanka. I really want to study in germany, but getting into medicine there is really difficult, yes? So, I think i'll also apply to zurich and spain, both of which require a year of language. And yep, i speak tamil and classical arabic(Not very well, though.)
Hi
I am from India.Planning to do Masters of Architect in Germany.Gone through many university out of which 5 teaches the subjects in English.Which university is good.I have done my Bachelors in University of Manchester.Do i need to learn German language for day to day communication? (If yes till what level should I learn?) or english is widely spoken?
Hallo, ich hab ein Biomedizin Studium in England abgeschlossen und fragte mich ob ich mich bewerben kann für das Medizinstudium in Deutschland und ob Zulassung in höheres Semester möglich ist als zweites Studium. Ich hab mein Abitur in Griechenland gemacht (Abschnitt Note 1,6). Ist sowas möglich?

Muss ich dann auch das HAM-Nat machen?

Leider ist es nich klar online ob sowas möglich ist un was meine Chancen sint 🙂
Hello,I see that the thread is rather an old one but am looking for some help concerning living/accomodation/residence in Germany (whilst studying). Is there anyone here still?
Reply 32
Hey, I wanted to know whether O Levels (IGCSE)'s were enough to apply for the Studeinkolleg. If now is a BTEC Level 3 Diploma acceptable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending