The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stp2015
Very good advice from Alex here, people should pay good attention to it:

The more advice you make publicly available, the more you hurt your own chances.

I don't agree. Tests are only there so the application goes further. The real competition starts with the personal statements and interviews. Tests only make it easier for the recruiters to eliminate people soe there's less applications to look at :P LOL
Reply 341
Hi guys, just wondering did anybody add anything to the 'Evidence of selection criteria' page? Think I might've messed up my application..
Reply 342
Original post by stp2015
Very good advice from Alex here, people should pay good attention to it:

The more advice you make publicly available, the more you hurt your own chances.

Surely the test is just a formality and you should be confident that your application will gain you an interview? The aptitude test is just there to reduce the overall number of applicants basically.
Reply 343
Original post by HannahBolland
Its literally all "what shape matches this set'!

Cheers Hannah, appreciate it! Think thats the best I could hope for to be honest.
Original post by Joshb1
Surely the test is just a formality and you should be confident that your application will gain you an interview? The aptitude test is just there to reduce the overall number of applicants basically.

That's what I'm thinking. And the information is publicly available anyway so a little bit of support to those that need it won't hurt
Reply 345
Original post by Ania1988
I don't agree. Tests are only there so the application goes further. The real competition starts with the personal statements and interviews. Tests only make it easier for the recruiters to eliminate people soe there's less applications to look at :P LOL

If they're eliminating the bottom 30% rather than having a set pass mark, then your advice to someone could mean they get an extra mark that takes them above you and pushes you into that bottom 30%.
Original post by alex83
If they're eliminating the bottom 30% rather than having a set pass mark, then your advice to someone could mean they get an extra mark that takes them above you and pushes you into that bottom 30%.

Look I don't think anyone has actually been giving away unfair advice, if you have a look back. So arguing about this is fairly pointless anyway.
We are all going through the same process a little advice and help does not mean you will be giving someone advantage as the tests are different for everyone. It's not like I or others gave information on what the questions were about. I appreciate everyone wants to do well but there is no advice that has been given in this tread that can minimise your individual chances of getting good marks. To each their own. Good luck everyone 😀
I mean......I did ok on the logical practice, but literally have NO idea what these are going on about!!!!

Apologies if anyone thinks this is asking for unfair advice, but thought as it was in the practice one I'd try my luck and see if anyone got them.
Hi All, This advice probably comes too late now. But as I was having trouble contacting my previous employer (seems the company has been merged with another and staff have either gone or moved) I got in touch with oriel about it. They didn't seem to think it was too big a deal and told me it may be necessary for them to get a character reference for me. But more importantly they said put down what you think is best for now and if they want anything else in the future it can be amended then.

So just in case anyone else was a bit worried about their references, it sounds like it is pretty unimportant at this stage at least and can just be cleared up later where necessary.
the tests are adaptive so I don't think even giving somebody a few answers makes a difference because the more he gets right the harder the questions will become lol....so essentially his chances of succeeding drop
I can't believe that people are so competitive here lol I mean this is not definitely a value that NHS appreciates. A bit of competitiveness is ok but c'mon, we're all getting different tests anyway and helping each other is ok lol. Anyone can buy practice talentq for 59£ and have a huge advantage over the rest then? The application is what really counts
(edited 8 years ago)
Well the direct entry is now closed...good luck everyone
Original post by rosery
Hi guys, just wondering did anybody add anything to the 'Evidence of selection criteria' page? Think I might've messed up my application..

No don't worry, this page is supposed to be empty it says :smile:
Reply 354
Original post by stp2015
No don't worry, this page is supposed to be empty it says :smile:

Phew! Thank you! :P
OMG :zomg: I wanted to do a logical practice test and did a real one instead!! Someone please kill me now :zomg: I definitely shouldn't been touching it tired after work aaaarrrrghghhh... Well, will probably have to try next year then ;/ aaargh :frown:
I don't know what's happened if I was meant to sit a practice test first??? I definitely seen the information about being allowed to sit a practice first and when I submitted the test I got an e-mail saying that I completed the real one!! fml ;((( I feel sick
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know what's happened if I was meant to sit a practice test first???

When you sit the real one, it does give you a practice beforehand but it's only about 3 mini questions, it's not a full test and then it takes you to the real one
Original post by gapyearstudent
When you sit the real one, it does give you a practice beforehand but it's only about 3 mini questions, it's not a full test and then it takes you to the real one

Oh my :frown: But I didn't have anything saying that I am in the real one :frown: I'm so confused...
Oh my :frown: But I didn't have anything saying that I am in the real one :frown: I'm so confused...

well the only way it would have been the real test was if you clicked the "take the test" button or whatever it says on the application dashboard.

If you went on the talentq website and did a practice run then it would be a full length test but it would definitely be a practice.

Quick Reply

Latest