The Student Room Group

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason

I bet you might be more judgemental and even racist

I'm definitely judgemental, but then so are we all. But I judge people on their actions, how they treat other people and whether I view their opinions as moral. I do not view you as moral.

I'm certainly not racist, I find racism abhorrent and I would never and have never treated or viewed people differently on the grounds of race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tw1x
Me and my partner are financially stable? Any body, even the CEO of NASA could lose their job tomorrow or the next day, it could happen to anybody. My partner lost his job 2 weeks before xmas last year and we survived. And we both live a comfortable life. We don't need a massive house and flash cars, we're happy with what we have - although a holiday wouldn't go amiss hah, but this is our choice not to save up for this, not because we couldn't afford to.

He could lose his job, but finding another job would be easy, plus he would get a huge payoff.
Couples ate meant to live, and not survive and get by, as you're not a single parent on welfare.
A man is meant to provide and be the bread winner

That is your view based on arbitrary tradition and gender roles.

Not everyone myself included agrees with that view, there is no logical reason for women to be unable to provide.

Well that's misogynistic and homophobic.
Yeah they'd be making more than me lol
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm definitely judgemental, but then so are we all. But I judge people on their actions, how they treat other people and whether I view their opinions and moral.

I'm certainly not racist, I find racism abhorrent and I would never and have never treated or viewed people differently on the grounds of race.

I think that makes more of a human being, as humans have faults.
But I am not excusing racism
I think that makes more of a human being, as humans have faults.
But I am not excusing racism

Of course humans have faults, it's how they deal with those fault that matter.

Never said you were and frankly don't understand why you insinuated I am racist despite me never having commented on race on this thread nor have I said anything racist on this forum.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well that's misogynistic and homophobic.

How on earth is that homophobic, I mean even in a gay household, one partner has to take on the leading role.
Reply 168
He could lose his job, but finding another job would be easy, plus he would get a huge payoff.
Couples ate meant to live, and not survive and get by, as you're not a single parent on welfare.

But he's not in a high paying job, which is the whole point in this thread. His job is in demand but it doesn't pay well. And he didnt get paid off because he was classed as self employed but working with another company. The work just dried up. We do live, we go out all the time, we don't struggle at all, some people have different ideas on what makes them happy. What might be a comfortable lifestyle to you may not be the same for me, and vice versa. I dont need extravagant carpets/furnishings, 10 holidays a year, meals out every week to be happy. Its personal preference. We both work bloody hard and do what makes us happy, thats good enough for me.
That is your view based on arbitrary tradition and gender roles.

Not everyone myself included agrees with that view, there is no logical reason for women to be unable to provide.

I have never said that a woman could not provide, but in the majority of households, the man is the breadwinner.
I have never said that a woman could not provide, but in the majority of households, the man is the breadwinner.

You said that men are meant to provide.
There is no logical reason for that any more, that's purely traditional.
Reply 171
A 10 page thread, for what basically amounts to Trolling?
Of course humans have faults, it's how they deal with those fault that matter.

Never said you were and frankly don't understand why you insinuated I am racist despite me never having commented on race on this thread nor have I said anything racist on this forum.

But tsr and the real world are two different things, I mean I know at some point you had a negative view or opinion in your head, that you would rather not share.
How on earth is that homophobic, I mean even in a gay household, one partner has to take on the leading role.

Not necessarily. Relationships should be equal. Often one partner will earn more but that doesn't make them the 'provider'. And that doesn't necessarily go by gender or how 'masculine'/'feminine each person in the relationship is. Queer relationships don't have to 'mirror' traditional, heteronormative, oppressive ideas of relationships. It is possible to have a relationship where no-one identifies as a man. It's possible to have a relationship where no-one feels they are 'masculine'. It's possible to have a relationship where someone who feels they are 'masculine' doesn't take a traditional 'male role' for whatever reason.
But tsr and the real world are two different things, I mean I know at some point you had a negative view or opinion in your head, that you would rather not share.

of course they are? I never implied there weren't so I fail to see why you brought that up.

Of course I have had negative views in the past, the thing is opinions change. And I readily and often do hold my hands up and admit that yes something I said lets say 4 years ago was wrong and my opinion has changed.

I have never pretended to be the best person or to know everything. I readily admit that as I go through life my opinions and views change (though my values and who I am as a person have stayed rather consistent), but that does not take away from the fact I can still disagree and abhor some views.
Original post by Reue
They've probably dodged a bullet with you then

Savage af.

Why?
Reply 177
Original post by Inexorably
Savage af.

I regret nothing
Of course I would! And try my best to make a lot of money for the both of us.
of course they are? I never implied there weren't so I fail to see why you brought that up.

Of course I have had negative views in the past, the thing is opinions change. And I readily and often do hold my hands up and admit that yes something I said lets say 4 years ago was wrong and my opinion has changed.

I have never pretended to be the best person or to know everything. I readily admit that as I go through life my opinions and views change (though my values and who I am as a person have stayed rather consistent), but that does not take away from the fact I can still disagree and abhor some views.

But my views are harmless and they're not even remotely abhorrent.
Compared to what normally gets posted on comment sections on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending