The Student Room Group

I feel like a failure...help? (my story)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ihonestlydk
I just feel like I have no hope in getting anywhere with the GCSE grades I have achieved.. I knew I could have done better if I didn't associate myself with the wrong group of "friends" :frown: Plus when I compare myself to other people who have a much higher standard of their academic achievements its makes me feel like a total failure but I understand, I shouldn't compare myself to others but just focus on whats best for me and myself only.

Your GCSEs are fine, no employer and not really any university will care about GCSEs past getting the required passes in English and Maths

Its not about comparing yourself to others, if you are looking to go to either Durham, York, Manchester etc. then that is a massive achievement and one that most people will have no chance of
x

Original post by Dinasaurus
x

My GCSE grades were the same -> 4 As, 6 Bs.

I've experienced the same thing as you.
It doesn't mean if you perform well at GCSE/A levels the rest of your life will be okay. I know some people who got into oxbridge only to later on drop out because they couldn't handle it mentally. Its all about learning to juggle whatever life throws at you. Whether if you choke or make it, in the end its how you walk away that counts. Keep your head up broski! :wink:

Moral
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
My GCSE grades were the same -> 4 As, 6 Bs.

I've experienced the same thing as you.
It doesn't mean if you perform well at GCSE/A levels the rest of your life will be okay. I know some people who got into oxbridge only to later on drop out because they couldn't handle it mentally. Its all about learning to juggle whatever life throws at you. Whether if you choke or make it, in the end its how you walk away that counts. Keep your head up broski! :wink:

Moral

Honestly that made me feel so much better and I'm more happy!! I'll start feeling happy for a while but eventually if I think about GCSEs then I lose it and become pretty upset about it and then I throw all these negative thoughts at myself but thank you so so much!
Thank you! :smile: That made me feel better, also does it matter what University you go to? Or do they not look into that? I want to go to either Manchester, Liverpool, York, Birmingham, Durham and I don't know what else. as I'm currently researching different universities and their entry requirements.

Uhhhhhhh, yes an no; I wouldn't subscribe to the camp who says it's the be all and end all, nor the camp who says it makes literally no difference. In certain career paths the university you attend can be a very important factor. I'm thinking things like law, politics, consultancy, banking, the sort of very up-market white collar business-like jobs. Other careers - medicine being a good example - the uni you attend makes almost no difference. Most jobs are somewhere in between, where going to a more prestigious uni will help you, but won't be the deciding factor by any stretch of the imagination. But even if you don't go to the most well-regarded uni in Britain, if you build up a decent portfolio of extra-curricular stuff you've done that's relevant to your chosen career path you'll do just fine.

Just to warn you, Durham are super picky when it comes to admissions. I got a rejection from Durham and there cited reason was a 75 UMS in one of my further maths modules (the others were all over 90) so maybe steer clear of that one.
Those are not bad GCSE grades at all - good predicted grades for you A levels and a good personal statement are more important - start working on your personal statement well before you know college are going to tell you to start drafting it and you will be fine - my daughter's friend has applied to do Psychology at Surrey - Exeter - Plymouth and Warwick - have a look at Which University? on -line - if will give you a load of info about the Universities offering that degree- tells you the % of students studying Psychology that pass with a 2:1 or higher - average salary after leaving - the % applying who get made offers etc etc - might give you a bit more of an idea.
Original post by yt7777
Your GCSEs are fine, no employer and not really any university will care about GCSEs past getting the required passes in English and Maths

Its not about comparing yourself to others, if you are looking to go to either Durham, York, Manchester etc. then that is a massive achievement and one that most people will have no chance of

Hi

Trust me, the thing employers care about (locally and internationally) is your experience, get as much of it as you can whilst studying. Volunteer everywhere you can. Your career will skyrocket after that. No one will give monkeya uncle about your grades, as thats basically just memory retention.

Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Uhhhhhhh, yes an no; I wouldn't subscribe to the camp who says it's the be all and end all, nor the camp who says it makes literally no difference. In certain career paths the university you attend can be a very important factor. I'm thinking things like law, politics, consultancy, banking, the sort of very up-market white collar business-like jobs. Other careers - medicine being a good example - the uni you attend makes almost no difference. Most jobs are somewhere in between, where going to a more prestigious uni will help you, but won't be the deciding factor by any stretch of the imagination. But even if you don't go to the most well-regarded uni in Britain, if you build up a decent portfolio of extra-curricular stuff you've done that's relevant to your chosen career path you'll do just fine.

Just to warn you, Durham are super picky when it comes to admissions. I got a rejection from Durham and there cited reason was a 75 UMS in one of my further maths modules (the others were all over 90) so maybe steer clear of that one.

I emailed Durham regarding my concerns and told them subjects I'm doing at A Level and saying I wanted to study psychology, they said in order for me to do psychology I need to get a D*D*A which is equal to their original offer at AAA along with a B in Maths GCSE :smile: but Durham isn't my first I added it incase. I want to go for Manchester, York, Liverpool or Birmingham not sure yet.
Original post by Flimshaw
Hi

Trust me, the thing employers care about (locally and internationally) is your experience, get as much of it as you can whilst studying. Volunteer everywhere you can. Your career will skyrocket after that. No one will give monkeya uncle about your grades, as thats basically just memory retention.

Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thank you, that made me feel amazing and more confident :smile: honestly, thank you!
Original post by Minionmum
Those are not bad GCSE grades at all - good predicted grades for you A levels and a good personal statement are more important - start working on your personal statement well before you know college are going to tell you to start drafting it and you will be fine - my daughter's friend has applied to do Psychology at Surrey - Exeter - Plymouth and Warwick - have a look at Which University? on -line - if will give you a load of info about the Universities offering that degree- tells you the % of students studying Psychology that pass with a 2:1 or higher - average salary after leaving - the % applying who get made offers etc etc - might give you a bit more of an idea.

What GCSE grades did your daughters friend get and A levels? I will check the website out. Thank you soo much!! :smile:*
(edited 8 years ago)
I emailed Durham regarding my concerns and told them subjects I'm doing at A Level and saying I wanted to study psychology, they said in order for me to do psychology I need to get a D*D*A which is equal to their original offer at AAA along with a B in Maths GCSE :smile: but Durham isn't my first I added it incase. I want to go for Manchester, York, Liverpool or Birmingham not sure yet.

It's not so much that their grade requirements were that high, but they're very picky about who they make offers to. It's something to do with them trying to force their way into the oxbridge club I heard someone say once? But anyways, I've no doubt if you put a shift in for your a levels you'll make it :smile: Manchester was my back-up choice btw, it's a really awesome uni! Defo would recommend it.
Reply 30
Original post by Flimshaw
Hi

Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you meant to quote someone else
Daughters friend got Bs and Cs and an A in photography (they took 8 GCSEs ). In Her As's she got A s in Psychology Sociology Photography and is predicted I think a B in General studies - so has been predicted AAAB - didn't take psychology at GCSE level because their school didn't offer it - she has been offered an unconditional for Plymouth, originally wanted to go to Surrey but didn't like the feel of the place when she visited,but I think she prefers Warwick (she said it had great labs for doing tests and research - sleep deprivation and all that sort of thing ) .
It's not so much that their grade requirements were that high, but they're very picky about who they make offers to. It's something to do with them trying to force their way into the oxbridge club I heard someone say once? But anyways, I've no doubt if you put a shift in for your a levels you'll make it :smile: Manchester was my back-up choice btw, it's a really awesome uni! Defo would recommend it.

Haha Manchester is my first choice, I love it so much and Durham is just there because I can't think of anything else 😂 personally I don't want to go Durham so I'm sticking to the others I selected :smile:
Haha Manchester is my first choice, I love it so much and Durham is just there because I can't think of anything else 😂 personally I don't want to go Durham so I'm sticking to the others I selected :smile:

Also, there is the issue of where Durham is. I applied to Durham thinking it was near Bath, then found out it's by newcastle :facepalm:
Also, there is the issue of where Durham is. I applied to Durham thinking it was near Bath, then found out it's by newcastle :facepalm:

Durham is farrr plus I live in London :tongue:
So I'm currently studying A-Levels now and I just keep comparing myself to others thinking I'm completely stupid, not smart, a failure, not going to get anywhere in life!
My GCSE grades for starters were terrible as I associated myself with the wrong group of people, no matter how much revision I do (I literally did so much non stop) I would come out with a terrible grade!
My GCSE grades are as follows:
Maths-B
English Lit-B
English Lan-C
French-C
Statistics- B
Additional Science-B
Core Science-C
Music-B
Sociology-D (Hated the subject, didn't find any interest)
ICT-D (Same as Sociology)
Geography-D (Didn't have a teacher for a whole entire year until 2 weeks before the exam)
PE-E (Teacher messed up my entire coursework and lied to me!)
ECDL-D*
Thats D*BBBBBCCCDDDE (Thats terrible and embarrassing)

Now I'm studying Psychology AQA A level, BTEC Level 3 Business (Chose this because it was equal to 2 A levels instead of 1 like Business A Level) and Core Maths (It was to help me with Psychology as it requires Maths- however I didn't choose this subject). I'm doing very well at the moment I'm predicted a D*D*B however I'm aiming for an A in Psychology as I have interest in the subject and would love to study Psychology at University!!

I just feel like my GCSE are the only alternative and possibly the BTEC that is stopping me and causing me to feel like a failure and I feel like they may stop me from getting into any University or even a job! I don't know :frown:

During my GCSE periods I've had so much pressure from my parents too as they shout and tell me "You best do good in your exam or we'll have problems" and this would terrify me!

I'm just in this state where I'm so upset and don't know what to do anymore! Any suggestions?

Your grades are great. Honestly.
My grades weren't dissimilar, and I did a psychology degree.
If you need any advice r.e. the degree, you're welcome to ask.

P.S. Level 3 qualifications are 3 A levels equivalent, at least in terms of UCAS score
(edited 8 years ago)
good luck getting into uni unless it is bradford american studies
Reply 37
Have very similar grades, pulled of 6 B's and 4 C's at the end of Year 11.
Was very disappointed, but not surprised as I hardly revised for anything and
coming from an area where education wasn't looked upon and didn't really mean much to get out of the hood
(i.e. you know what I mean when you're from the ghetto)

But anyway, you shouldn't feel disheartened as you did pretty well. You passed the first hurdle, now the tough bit really starts, you'll meet people who don't give a toss about AS year but reality will kick in after they have only a year left to make up for lost time. That's literally impossible. Therefore the hard work starts here on in, I didn't know what I wanted to do hence my GCSE grades were lacking but I know I'm much better than that. If I want to study CompSci at Uni, I best make the grade and personal statement good to get into on of my choices.

So in short, do what I do and stay committed to working hard. You'll get to anywhere you want to be if you only believe in yourself my friend.
Original post by hellodave5
Your grades are great. Honestly.
My grades weren't dissimilar, and I did a psychology degree.
If you need any advice r.e. the degree, you're welcome to ask.

P.S. Level 3 qualifications are 3 A levels equivalent, at least in terms of UCAS score

I'll be sure to pm you and mine is a level 3 Business BTEC they told us it was equal to 2 A levels plus I'm doing A Level psychology.
Original post by sandvika
good luck getting into uni unless it is bradford american studies

??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending