The Student Room Group

What alevels should I pick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Samdahir
So is core maths not a good subject to pick (as it is level3) and I think Alevel maths would be too hard because I think GCSE maths it already getting hard.

What are your GCSE target grades?
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Maths Bio and chem defo! Chemistry is the main one but lots of unis require Maths and Bio to do medicine. Your fourth subject can be anything so you can do maths, bio, chem and economics if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't spread lies! "lot's of unis" Only ONE university requires maths and that's Cambridge. The third a level can be anything the OP wants. Seriously, where is this misconception coming from? People without a level maths have got in.
Original post by geniequeen48
Don't spread lies! "lot's of unis" Only ONE university requires maths and that's Cambridge. The third a level can be anything the OP wants. Seriously, where is this misconception coming from? People without a level maths have got in.

Yes I know I have cousins who didnt do maths and are now studying medicine in uni. There was no reason to be rude just correct my mistake. I've seen on quite a few unis that maths is recommended but can be substituted with a different subject like physics. I think if OP does maths then it will be good for him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I know I have cousins who didnt do maths and are now studying medicine in uni. There was no reason to be rude just correct my mistake. I've seen on quite a few unis that maths is recommended but can be substituted with a different subject like physics. I think if OP does maths then it will be good for him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry if I have come across as rude, it's just fustrating to hear the same thing as I myself do not wish to study maths a level yet want to study medicine. May I ask what year r ur cousins in and what a levels they have studied?
I'm sorry if I have come across as rude, it's just fustrating to hear the same thing as I myself do not wish to study maths a level yet want to study medicine. May I ask what year r ur cousins in and what a levels they have studied?

Thats ok :smile: Most of them are in yr 2 and 3 and I know one studied biology, chemistry, history, computer science.
Another studied biology, chemistry, physics and history.
And one who recently started in September last year studied biology, chemistry, english and i think geography.
However most of them studied maths, biology and chemistry with another subject which was mostly physics lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats ok :smile: Most of them are in yr 2 and 3 and I know one studied biology, chemistry, history, computer science.
Another studied biology, chemistry, physics and history.
And one who recently started in September last year studied biology, chemistry, english and i think geography.
However most of them studied maths, biology and chemistry with another subject which was mostly physics lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

History and computer science...such an interesting combination haha.

At least there's proof that it is possible to get in without a level maths.

Thank you :smile:
History and computer science...such an interesting combination haha.

At least there's proof that it is possible to get in without a level maths.

Thank you :smile:

Haha thats ok :smile: I think taking maths opens a lot of doors and apparently maths fits in well with medicine? Not sure if thats true but if I wanted to do medicine I would choose maths as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
You should probably do Math over Economics because it will help you its bio and Chen but its up to you (everyone I know who's going on to do Medicine is doing Math, Bio, Chem and either History, Physics or FM at AS)
Haha thats ok :smile: I think taking maths opens a lot of doors and apparently maths fits in well with medicine? Not sure if thats true but if I wanted to do medicine I would choose maths as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was going to choose maths as it opens many doors but I'd rather choose subjects where I'll know I'll have the motivation to work hard for. Plus if I don't like maths now, how would I like the degree that requires maths (e.g. engineering). Luckily medicine isnt heavily based on it, plus I only like maths when it's applied (e.g chemistry) lol.

What would you like to study?
Yeah, I was going to choose maths as it opens many doors but I'd rather choose subjects where I'll know I'll have the motivation to work hard for. Plus if I don't like maths now, how would I like the degree that requires maths (e.g. engineering). Luckily medicine isnt heavily based on it, plus I only like maths when it's applied (e.g chemistry) lol.

What would you like to study?

Im taking maths, further, bio, chem and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im taking maths, further, bio, chem and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, do you have an idea of what you are thinking of pursuing as a career/degree?
Ah okay, do you have an idea of what you are thinking of pursuing as a career/degree?

Um not sure yet but would like a career in finance wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um not sure yet but would like a career in finance wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, interesting, err well I just want to do something practical and healthcare related. In mind so far surgery seems cool and vet science.
look at the min requirements on UCAS/Uni websites and let that guide you. Remember QUALITY not QUANTITY, you rather get great grades in 3 a levels rather than mediocre grades in 4 A Levels.
I think chem is compulsory though
Good luck
Original post by Samdahir
So is core maths not a good subject to pick (as it is level3) and I think Alevel maths would be too hard because I think GCSE maths it already getting hard.

If you think maths would be too hard, for the love of god please don't pick it. As many others on this thread have said, it's absolutely not needed for medicine (I think the only uni that requires it is Cambridge - not sure if it was just the one college or if it applies across the uni. Again, as others have said, check the uni websites if you're unsure) and it's much, much better to pick a subject you enjoy more as you're more likely to get your A/A* this way. Some unis (UCL used to, not sure if they still do) actually prefer a non-science/maths subject - so as stated before do some research beforehand to see where you want to go and check what they want.

I speak from experience on this - got a D in AS maths because I took it because I thought it was needed for medicine, despite some initial misgivings (also I was stupid enough to try and take on 5 AS levels but that's another story lmao). Fast forward to now and I've got one offer for med and am waiting to hear back from 2 unis post-interview with A levels in bio, chem and history.

TL;DR: Doesn't matter what your third option is (depending on where you want to go) so long as you've got your bio and chem and you achieve the right grades. Don't let others sway you into doing something you think you might struggle in just because it's 'useful' or 'goes well' with your other subjects. Pick something you think would be interesting/ you already like and you should be fine. :smile:
Include maths to your list. And start off with 4 subjects, just in case you don't do well, or don't enjoy it - you can drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Des_Lumières
Medicine's competitive and Math's is considered more challenging than Bio. (and is of more use to med students) so actually, even if they don't say on their website, that's what the're really looking for. Take it or leave it - that's inside info (besides, Ithought this was fairly common knowledge amongst teachers in schools, surprised). (Haven't you ever noticed that recommend subjects are usually much less than they actually take based on across the board?) What I basically recommend is ringing the places you might want to study and finding out from them!

If you want to make a competitive medicine application then it's important to stand out enough academically as well as in other respects!

Do Maths if you want to be a doc as this will actually help you more in your education and career than A Level Chem. or Bio. and also is more important when getting onto med courses (I know a medic who was involved with undergrad. admission and they confirmed to me that they look for A Level Maths, exp. and general roundedness above other things).

If you're worried about workload I would suggest going with Chem., Bio., and Maths (leaving the Eco.) and for a 4th AS I would recommend: Phycology, Sociology, an Art subject, or RE (thinking about ethics is very relevant to being a doc, not many people think of this, you will be writing essays on this later!), or even PE as long as you perform well in other subjects and seek work experience. The bottom line is unfortunately: if you can't manage the w/load of those 3 A Levels you won't cope in Med.

NB. I'm not a med student. Good luck!

Hi @The University of Sheffield can you confirm if this is the case?

I'd be surprised if it was. Looking at http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=ALevel
only 54% of sheffield med entrants had A level Maths - it's the most common 3rd A level but it doesn't appear to be preferred - it's the most common A level in general so you'd expect it to be up there.
Original post by PQ
Hi @The University of Sheffield can you confirm if this is the case?

I'd be surprised if it was. Looking at http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=ALevel
only 54% of sheffield med entrants had A level Maths - it's the most common 3rd A level but it doesn't appear to be preferred - it's the most common A level in general so you'd expect it to be up there.

Well I can confirm that my anecdote about the medic I spoke with is true although quite clearly I'm not responsible for what one individual said to me informally (and there is obviously no way of triangulating it). I'm emphasising the fact that it was a one-to-one informal discussion as it's normal to vary advice depending on who one is addressing. Also, I think perhaps you are missing a level of nuance here: what the university will state publicly won't aways correspondent exactly with how it operates. Just to clarify.
Well I can confirm that my anecdote about the medic I spoke with is true although quite clearly I'm not responsible for what one individual said to me informally (and there is obviously no way of triangulating it). I'm emphasising the fact that it was a one-to-one informal discussion as it's normal to vary advice depending on who one is addressing. Also, I think perhaps you are missing a level of nuance here: what the university will state publicly won't aways correspondent exactly with how it operates. Just to clarify.

Then they're in breach of fair admissions practice
http://www.spa.ac.uk/information/fairadmissions/
Original post by PQ
Then they're in breach of fair admissions practice
http://www.spa.ac.uk/information/fairadmissions/

Which bit of it and in relation to what? And could it be proved? I highly doubt they'd do anything that would openly led to them being seen as breaching that code. However, I don't think the sum of communications, private and personal, of the people employed by the institution could possible be claimed to all come under the fair admissions practice. It's common sense applied to complex systems.

I'm sorry if I have offered misleading information. I was just sharing what I had on the subject and recommending that the poster sought more direct info. I do hope the poster comes to a satisfactory conclusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending