The Student Room Group

Do you believe in the 'one'

The one that's meant for you, the one that your going to spend the rest of your life with, the one that no one else can compare too etc....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
The one that's meant for you, the one that your going to spend the rest of your life with, the one that no one else can compare too etc....

A device that people use to justify an emotional whim.

Some wake up 20 years later and realise it was bullshhit, others carry it until death.
The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Spoiler

Reply 3
I don't think you meet The One or are destined to be with them but I do believe that some people are better suited for someone than others and these people will become The One but I don't buy into the destiny idea. I think you make them that one person for you, it doesn't just happen, sometimes it never will :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
A device that people use to justify an emotional whim.

Some wake up 20 years later and realise it was bullshhit, others carry it until death.

The thought actually just gave me shivers
The thought actually just gave me shivers

I would hope so. It deserves a prominent place in the hall of the 'Greatest Human Time-wasting Inventions'.
Yep. I'm a firm believer in soul mates or what you call 'the one'
Reply 7
Original post by Treen98
I don't think you meet The One or are destined to be with them but I do believe that some people are better suited for someone than others and these people will become The One but I don't buy into the destiny idea. I think you make them that one person for you, it doesn't just happen, sometimes it never will :smile:

That's a pretty good explanation, but just imagine I meet the wrong person and I make them the one for me, but then there's someone out there who's better suited to me and I'm never gonna meet them
Reply 8
That's a pretty good explanation, but just imagine I meet the wrong person and I make them the one for me, but then there's someone out there who's better suited to me and I'm never gonna meet them

Yeah but tbh if they're not right then you'll struggle to idealise them that much more in order to over attach yourself? A bit of a crude explanation but I guess you've just got to go with your gut :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by nightwing51214
Yep. I'm a firm believer in soul mates or what you call 'the one'

Have you met them yet?
Reply 10
No, clearly not, as your chance of locating him/her would be somewhat remote. I do believe in good and bad choices however.
I'm definitely a believer in 'the one'. However, only fate can decide my destiny. :h:
Have you met them yet?

I believe I have. I'm just waiting for the 'confirmation' (i.e. time) so to speak :wink:

Yeah I think so.

That's just the unavoidable consequence of living in a world that has more people in it than you'll ever have the time to meet.

I don't think your hypothetical scenario works with the 'wrong' person -- if you weren't compatible, then you'd struggle to form a long-term relationship with them, anyway. There's no point worrying about the possibility that there's somebody, somewhere with whom you're even more compatible than somebody you know now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not one but perphaps some?
Reply 17
No. But yes in terms of being able to find someone you want to be with and are content with.
Reply 18
Believe in fate all you want, it was clearly my destiny to laugh at you while you fail relationship after relationship because you leave the moment things start.
No, the world is too big. We just have to settle down with someone eventually, and pick them to be loyal to, love unconditionally but there's definitely someone out there that can also be the one. Probably even better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending