The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Changing into fifth gear.
Hill starts and stops.
Roundabouts.

I think those were my three biggest challenges when I was learning. Fifth gear was horrible because you needed to take your hand off the wheel and mind partially off the road to change gear while going at a ridiculous speed. Hills were nasty for trying to find the right amount of gas. Roundabouts were difficult because no one ever indicated so I have no idea what anyone was doing.
It came naturally to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Slow drivers on the road....When I was a learner other people were going slower than me.... what's that all about.
Reversing round a corner :unimpressed:
Roundabouts and getting manuvers consistently correct.

Everytime I make a mistake it shakes me up and I lose all my confidence.

It got to the point that I am now scared of driving and dreaded getting into the driving seat so I stopped as I do not feel safe.
I was fine with anything physical - changing gears, precision clutch control, avoiding stalling, reversing, all that stuff came naturally. The mental stuff was hard for me - taking in all the road signs, thinking for myself without my instructor reminding me to do stuff, just general independance.
Reply 7
the clutch!!
I bet it's a petrol car your driving, it has taken me ages to get the hang of feeling the biting point on a petrol. On a diesal car though I have no problem with
Roundabouts every time.

And a tip to people driving petrol, as you reach the biting point add gas before you're moving. Diesel's you can move off just on the clutch but a petrol tends to need a bit of a push!
Original post by Leviathan1741
Reversing round a corner :unimpressed:

Yep I hated that manouver but with the help of youtube I've managed to get it right the key is to go slow and know how far to stear away from the kerb
Original post by _icecream
Yep I hated that manouver but with the help of youtube I've managed to get it right the key is to go slow and know how far to stear away from the kerb

Yeah, I've only practiced it a couple of times so far, hopefully everything will make more sense as I practice it more :smile:
Reply 12
Lanes on roundabouts and mirrors. Oh, and I can never seem to stop for traffic lights, oops:s-smilie:
Reply 13
Booking my theory test today. I booked it twice last year when I was doing my lessons and no joke - on the day of the first time I booked it and just an hour before my test - my papa took ill and was admitted to hospital and got put on the transplant list finally and then on the second time on the exact day of my test, my stepdad took a mini stroke and we had to drive him to hospital so I'm hoping third time lucky and nothing will happen when I book it this time! I'm bloody jinxed. So I haven't sat a theory test at all yet but have been doing plenty of the tests on the driving test discs. I find the question part easy enough, its the hazard perception I hate! I either click too much or way too early.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Booking my theory test today. I booked it twice last year when I was doing my lessons and no joke - on the day of the first time I booked it and just an hour before my test - my papa took ill and was admitted to hospital and got put on the transplant list finally and then on the second time on the exact day of my test, my stepdad took a mini stroke and we had to drive him to hospital so I'm hoping third time lucky and nothing will happen when I book it this time! I'm bloody jinxed. So I haven't sat a theory test at all yet but have been doing plenty of the tests on the driving test discs. I find the question part easy enough, its the hazard perception I hate! I either click too much or way too early.

my theory si tomorrow!!!!!!! im dreading the hazard part etc =[
Reply 15
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
my theory si tomorrow!!!!!!! im dreading the hazard part etc =[

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :smile: I'm booking my theory atm, soonest I can get is 11th April.
Good luck! Let us know how you get on :smile: I'm booking my theory atm, soonest I can get is 11th April.

I know how you feel. I booked it and it was the 1st April. so going Ilford/East Ldn instead rather than south as I don't want to wait that long.
Will do! Wanna get it over with so I can book practical!
Reply 17
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
I know how you feel. I booked it and it was the 1st April. so going Ilford/East Ldn instead rather than south as I don't want to wait that long.
Will do! Wanna get it over with so I can book practical!

That's mine all booked now for the 11th, two days before my mum's wedding so that week is going to be even more stressful now :colondollar: :tongue: even the test centres 30/40 miles away from me were fully booked right up until May :s-smilie: sucks because like you, I just want to get it over with so I can focus more on practical.
That's mine all booked now for the 11th, two days before my mum's wedding so that week is going to be even more stressful now :colondollar: :tongue: even the test centres 30/40 miles away from me were fully booked right up until May :s-smilie: sucks because like you, I just want to get it over with so I can focus more on practical.

oh wow! Aha hopefully the bad luck doesn't strike again.
I've been doing intensive 2 hour courses well 4 hours per week! So I'm trying to pick up things fast and learn it at the same time
It took me about 4 lessons just to understand how to stop at a junction (left emerge) and then carry on without stalling, I didn't understand when to let go off the clutch, Iet it go fully before I was even turning stalling all the time. I have grasped it now and it's easy now, the thing I'm worried about now is roundabouts, I started them today And I was meant to go left on the roundabout and I nearly went straight on oops. I'm also worried about maneovers 3 point turn is horrible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending