The Student Room Group

Do you suffer from Hayfever? What are the best Hayfever Hacks?

Scroll to see replies

My hayfever is awful, I normally get about 20-30 nosebleeds a week (3/4 nosebleeds a day) during bad weeks, but only about 10 a week during milder weeks. Combine this with swollen, itchy eyes and a blocked nose and you'll see why summer is my least favourite season :lol:
Anti-histamines don't do anything for me, so my 'hack' is just staying inside and avoiding lawnmowers/freshly cut grass.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hayfever seems to be affecting more and more people each year. How does it affect you, or are you one of the lucky ones who aren't affected?

I seem to get it worse each year, and it's been affecting my asthma too, meaning I've felt ill the last couple of years from it. Of course, I take hayfever tablets (Loratadine - I used to take Cetirizine for years, but these became less affective) and my brown preventative inhaler to try and tackle it, but it never seems to be completely gone :shakecane:

I've had a bit of a research and nothing seems to help at the moment - including all the 'wrap around sunglasses, showers in the evening' etc. Have you got any Hayfever Hacks that help you? Post any helpful links or advice below :smile:

i was terrible but it seems to get better each year...

tips: be loner like me and stay indoors almost 100% of the time only go out when you absolutely must and there's no other option..
Move to the city, stay away from grassy areas.

Every time I sit on grass, I usually sit on a blanket or towel so I'm like protected abit lol
Until last year I was only on the blue inhaler, and had been since I was about 5. But then because I was getting so ill and chesty the doctor started me on brown inhaler which worked a treat for coughs I'd get from the mix of asthma and hayfever, but my poor eyes, nose, and throat are still suffering :redface:

An asthma nurse told me the blue inhalers aren't useful for a lot of people. I got switched up to a red turbohaler and it's been brilliant ever since. 😊

I hope you get better soon!
I've suffered from hayfever for as long as I can remember. I've found that the best way to stop it is to start taking hayfever tablets early, before your symptoms start, and keep taking them everyday throughout the pollen season.

Also, if you can, switch up your medication now and then so they don't lose their effectiveness, so for example take loratadine for a while, then cetirizine, then loratadine again etc :smile:
@BurstingBubbles

Perhaps we should create a TSR society for hayfever sufferers? :biggrin:

I had hayfever but all I did was rest and my both nostrils was blocked to I used the spray to unblock them :yes:
don't go outside though when you have hayfever because I didn't and I recovered pretty quick

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Hayfever is the bane of my life :angry:
I've had it every year since year 7 (so 5 years) from March to August, although I'm only just starting to feel it now this year. I take loratadine for it but it doesn't do much.
My symptoms are INCREDIBLY itchy skin - even worse this year due to the eczema I haven't had since I was 2 coming back again, very irritated, sore, itchy, red, watery eyes (I spend summer blind and crying), sneezing, COUGHING FITS like you wouldn't believe (this is what I'm dreading most in an exam - it happened in my year 6 sats and I had to be taken out).

My hacks are kinda just carrying tissues everywhere, trying not to forget to take my tablet (never always goes to plan though), and just crying through it haha

Also I heard that pollution makes it worse - and that if you live in the countryside you're actually LESS likely to suffer than if you live in the city, something I thought I'd point out

Happy suffering! :frown:
Especially if it your eyes: Piriton, wash your face if they're irritating you and wear sunglasses if you go out to like a park or field. (Don't know how medically accurate but these seem to work for me :tongue:)
@TheALevelStudent give us your tips oh wise one! :adore:

:colonhash:
Stay indoors and on TSR :cookie:
Original post by rajneetk
@TheALevelStudent give us your tips oh wise one! :adore:

:colonhash:

Take the sneezes, cuddle up in your bed, and fully reflect on the times that you wasn't sneezing and how you took it for granted.
Original post by Feraligatr
Stay indoors and on TSR :cookie:

Original post by TheALevelStudent
Take the sneezes, cuddle up in your bed, and fully reflect on the times that you wasn't sneezing and how you took it for granted.

I've been doing both of these today :sick:
I usually take Piriton in the morning before I leave and it works.

Another hack I found useful is to put a thin layer of Vaseline around your nostrils area, this reduces the amount of pollen from getting in your nose because the Vaseline blocks it.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I usually take Piriton in the morning before I leave and it works.

Another hack I found useful is to put a thin layer of Vaseline around your nostrils area, this reduces the amount of pollen from getting in your nose because the Vaseline blocks it.

There's a product for hayfever called HayMax, which you put around your nostrils like you said above with the Vaseline, but it's less shiny so it's not as noticeable :yes:
Original post by Leviathan1741
There's a product for hayfever called HayMax, which you put around your nostrils like you said above with the Vaseline, but it's less shiny so it's not as noticeable :yes:

oooh I might need to try that, thanks :h:
When the pollen count is very high and I have no choice but to go out I'll take benadryl, use eye drops and maybe a face mask (like those used in asia). The face masks with filters are good, I bought some cheaply on ebay and they work pretty well as they stop a lot of pollen being breathed in. It depends how comfortable you'd be with wearing them.
Most of the time I take phenylephrine and see how it goes, I take medication and eye drops to school with me anyway.
Original post by romansholiday
Same, I have my GCSEs this year and one of my symptoms for hay fever is nose bleeds. If I have a nose bleed in an exam, it would be so embarrassing and awkward and I wouldn't be able to write.

Don't worry about being embarrassed. Your health is more important about what other people think and if anyone says anything then they are being immature and don't realise that this is a serious issue for you. So just stay above them and focus on yourself. I had a hay fever attack in one of my exams. I was constantly sniffing, sneezing and my eyes and nose were running. I was first moved to the other side of the hall to everyone on my own and then to a separate room. Instead of letting myself feel awkward or embarrassed I decided that looking after myself and focusing on the exam was more important.

Good luck with your exams, maybe mention your worries to a member of staff in advance? And don't let the hay fever beat you!
I've been doing both of these today :sick:

Has yours already started? :hugs:
My hayfever usually starts about May-June time (grass pollen I think),
But... cheese :cry2:

I've just been looking at foods to avoid with hayfever and it's basically everything I love :sad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-111273/How-better-diet-beat-suffering-hayfever.html

So there's the answer to avoid dairy - because of increase mucus production (same to avoid them when you're ill), lovely :tongue:

Considering that's in the Mail, I suggest you eat as much of those things as possible as it will probably cure your hayfever.

Quick Reply

Latest