The Student Room Group

Im a pharmacist, Ask me (almost) anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pyropink
What do you really think of doctors?

in all honesty, I think that it depends on the doctor. I know for a fact that if I had the opportunities to go to med school I would probably be a better doctor than a lot of doctors I have come across (what idiot prescribes 1g paracetamol 4 times a day for a neonate and swears at you for telling him to amend it because you know ti will kill the baby).

weirdly I love east european doctors (namely polish and romanian doctors) as they are probably the most friendly and allow me to pick their brains. indian and pakistani freshie doctors are the worst due to their friggin arrogance and they generally care more about money / materialism than altruism (I myself am of indian descent)
If you had the choice again would you choose pharmacy? I remember reading a regretful post on TSR by a pharmacy grad which was very pessimistic about the profession and a pharmacy career.
Original post by Asklepios
Do you get all the junkies queueing up for their methadone where you work?

I work in a few places but a lot of them yes I do (when you start of, you are terrified but with experience you get used to them). some methadone patients arent exactly what youd call friendly but others are surprisingly friendly and you just want to see them recover from addiction and wish them to live a stable life.
How much money do you make?
Also what jobs can you get with pharmacy and do you enjoy it?
Original post by 999tigger
If you had the choice again would you choose pharmacy? I remember reading a regretful post on TSR by a pharmacy grad which was very pessimistic about the profession and a pharmacy career.

if it was by myself, yup it can be pessimistic. i wouldnt choose to do pharmacy again, I would rather choose to actually revise for my GCSEs and to avoid things which led to a few unfortunate circumstances during my ASA and A2 levels (which in turn would have led to me doing something else potentiall)
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

Hey!

Do you work in community/hospital (or elsewhere)?

What do you think of the £170m funding cut to community pharmacy and those that are due to come in over the next few years?
Original post by Ethereal World
Yeah isn't the difference in the 'hit' because Heroin's structure means it crosses the blood brain barrier quicker and therefore you get the rush sooner.

I think tbh Heroin would be a BAD idea for me.

Do you give out needles to addicts?

also with opiods, the stronger the drug, the stronger the side effects (theoretically all opiods cause euphoria as a side-effect so heroin would give a greater HIT but also a greater incidence of withdrawal symptoms and other adverse effects).

I did during my pre-reg give needles out but havent as a pharmacist weirdly enough
Original post by Squishy•
How much money do you make?
Also what jobs can you get with pharmacy and do you enjoy it?

1) no comment/see 1 of earlier posts

2)quite a few weirdly (pharmacy alone is community, primary care, GP surgery work (ie med reviews, audits, managing spending, giving injections, prescribing if your a supplementary/independent prescriber), hospital (based on wards reviewing medication mainly), industrial (drug company work), academia, research, auditing work for DoH; you can study another healthcare degree if you want or go into something else (e.g. MBA, business roles like directors, auditors, managers)

3) 50:50 enjoyment
Original post by thefatone
not dark at all, if you chopped myu arm off nd you saw blood spurting out, that's the colour, it wasn't brown in colour or like black
bleeding was just one off
no pain or feeling of swelling, the poop came out easily no forcing it required
no significant change in weight
no lumps
only from my ass
i ate shitty school food >.> probably just pasta and some curries and a slice of pizza
no medication taken at the time

Did you even go to the doctors to get it checked out? they might want to stick a camera up your arse.
Original post by quasa
if it was by myself, yup it can be pessimistic. i wouldnt choose to do pharmacy again, I would rather choose to actually revise for my GCSEs and to avoid things which led to a few unfortunate circumstances during my ASA and A2 levels (which in turn would have led to me doing something else potentiall)

No idea if it was you, the description just struck me as a very grim future. It just surpised me that's all.
Original post by Petrifiedcat
What are likely career pathways after doing a pharmacy masters degree? I think I might want to do it at uni but not sure if it's worth it, (I'm also on the verge of biochemistry.) :dontknow:

well community & hospital work and the main ones. you can go into scientific research (mainly bio or chem related, or biochem :smile: ). also you could use it as an alternative to a levels to get into another degree (be it healthcare/ science or non-related)
not dark at all, if you chopped myu arm off nd you saw blood spurting out, that's the colour, it wasn't brown in colour or like black
bleeding was just one off
no pain or feeling of swelling, the poop came out easily no forcing it required
no significant change in weight
no lumps
only from my ass
i ate shitty school food >.> probably just pasta and some curries and a slice of pizza
no medication taken at the time

chances are it was just a 1 off then. if it does happen in the future for a prolonged amount of time, it may be a sign of haemarrhoids, so be careful
Original post by chikane
Did you even go to the doctors to get it checked out? they might want to stick a camera up your arse.

no alarms symptoms / was one off incident a few weeks ago. no need to scare them lol
Original post by chikane

my digestive system is quite..... "different" from other peoples

Original post by quasa
chances are it was just a 1 off then. if it does happen in the future for a prolonged amount of time, it may be a sign of haemarrhoids, so be careful

lol no it's sort of an on and off thing last time it happened it was for about a month in year 10 then i had this one off which i told you about which was this year wheile i'm in year 12 but yea it's fun
When people ask for recommendations are you certain on what to give or is it a thing where just because you're a pharmacist doesn't mean you know everything?
Reply 55
What is the strongest eye steroid for conjunctivitis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

Awful nice of you to offer your expertise on this to strangers on the internet who would have otherwise not sought medical advice.
Original post by Elise213
When people ask for recommendations are you certain on what to give or is it a thing where just because you're a pharmacist doesn't mean you know everything?

I hate those people who think because they have whatever qualification ,their word is law.

tbh, when giving an opinion, you have to consider different options like presenting symptoms, signs, medical history, medication history, are they taking stuff over the counter, age, gender, diet, alcohol/smoking/narcotic consumption. afterwords you can give a recommendation based on clinical knowledge (using verified medical sources as a reference). if you cant think of a recommendation / if it is unsuitable / if the patient needs to see doctor/a&e, send them to their GP / walk-in centre (a&e if need be)
Original post by Butternuts96
Awful nice of you to offer your expertise on this to strangers on the internet who would have otherwise not sought medical advice.

actually, this was supposed to be a normal ama lol but I keep seeing a lot of health threads popping up and people giving lewd answers so I thought I may as well make this thread a bit of a safe haven so to speak (actually surprised not many people have posted anonymously lol)
my digestive system is quite..... "different" from other peoples

lol no it's sort of an on and off thing last time it happened it was for about a month in year 10 then i had this one off which i told you about which was this year wheile i'm in year 12 but yea it's fun

ah, my bad then. in which case, as chikane asked (by the way nice name, you a motorsport fan?) have you seen a doctor about it? although I will point out that none of the symptoms you mentioned do warrant endoscopic analysis (unless the doctor enjoys s&m)

Quick Reply

Latest