The Student Room Group

She doesn't feel the same :'( Any help appreciated

Hey guys,

Sorry for another pretty much just rant of a thread but I have nobody to talk to about this, not even my twin brother.

Basically a few months back I met a girl in year 11 who I almost immediately fell for (I'm in year 13) at a school production that was going on. Over the course of the practices and performances we became really good friends, and after it finished and ever since we've been messaging each other until late almost every single night, and over that time and the amount of just communication between us my feelings for her just deepened as I came to truly respect her and get to know her.

Now this culminated a couple of nights ago when I revealed to her the way I felt over message, and told her both how much I like her and also what I liked about her. Now she was completely taken by surprise, and handled it really well and tactfully, but she told me that she doesn't feel the same way, and it just hurts is all. I mean its the first time I've ever explicitly told someone that I have feelings for them, and these are the strongest feelings I've ever had for someone, and tbh I'm not sure how to go forward. Like it hasn't changed the frequency or comfort of talking to each other, it hasn't made it awkward or anything, and tbh I was kindov expecting that she wouldn't like me back but really hoping that this could be like a fairytale situation as I was seeing signs that she liked me back :/

So I'm still going to be messaging her all the time, but does anyone have any advice on how to move forward with it? Like should I just wait and see what happens or try and move on while still being best friends? I'm just in pain and confused I guess, so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated :smile:
just take the hint - she said she doesn't like you that way. that is your indicator to stop pushing it. I highly doubt you are best friends just because you talk all the time. don't try and push anything, just leave it be.
Reply 2
Original post by BerniHurton
just take the hint - she said she doesn't like you that way. that is your indicator to stop pushing it. I highly doubt you are best friends just because you talk all the time. don't try and push anything, just leave it be.

Yeah I wasn't going to press anything with her, and well we've told each other things that we haven't told anyone else ever, and she's said I'm a best friend so that's all I was meaning when I said that, sorry if it confused you. And thanks, I appreciate your input and advice :smile:
at least the young lady has not rejected you completely... it is probably the first time she has experienced someone saying these things to her. just take it easy and let things develop naturally.
I think you should move on and refrain from messaging her all the time.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
at least the young lady has not rejected you completely... it is probably the first time she has experienced someone saying these things to her. just take it easy and let things develop naturally.

Yeah she said that it's the first time she's ever been told that she's liked by the person who likes her. Thanks for responding, every little bit of help helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by phunky_fresh
I think you should move on and refrain from messaging her all the time.

Thanks, but I don't think that would work for either of us, tbh we've both had a tonne of fun doing it and I don't think its going to stop for a looong time :tongue:
You need to see that you're just friends and nothing more. Start thinking of her as just a normal friend and try to move on romantically to other girls.
Reply 8
Original post by bethwalker85
You need to see that you're just friends and nothing more. Start thinking of her as just a normal friend and try to move on romantically to other girls.

Hmm, yeah I'd love to but at the moment my feelings are wayyy way way to strong for me to even try to consider putting them aside :s-smilie: But thanks though that's definitely a future consideration
Reply 9
Give it some time eh
If I were you, my goal would be to change the way she thinks about me. Less of a friend and more of a potential bf. Maybe find reasons to hang out with her more.
If it all goes well, in time, she might develop the same feelings you have for her and she might drop some hints. It should play out naturally after.
Sounds like you are delaing with it pretty well. Most people would find it too awkward to continue. She is obviously communicating back. Its soemthing we all go through, so the only advice is it just takes time. If you find she is a constand reminder, then you might have to think about not talking and finding someone else.
Original post by Almageddon
Hmm, yeah I'd love to but at the moment my feelings are wayyy way way to strong for me to even try to consider putting them aside :s-smilie: But thanks though that's definitely a future consideration

If you can't get over her, the best thing you can do is start talking to her less. She doesn't feel the same way, and it's going to end in disaster if you keep talking to her while you feel this way. You're torturing yourself OP.
Reply 12
Original post by JordanL_
If you can't get over her, the best thing you can do is start talking to her less. She doesn't feel the same way, and it's going to end in disaster if you keep talking to her while you feel this way. You're torturing yourself OP.

Don't get me wrong, I still love talking to her and she still likes talking to me, so in all honesty I can't imagine it'll stop soon, and tbh I don't want to lose the connection because she's so focused on exams atm and really isn't focusing at all on guys, so maybe if I keep it going something could be possible in the future? I dunno just thinking out loud
Reply 13
Original post by gwagon
Give it some time eh
If I were you, my goal would be to change the way she thinks about me. Less of a friend and more of a potential bf. Maybe find reasons to hang out with her more.
If it all goes well, in time, she might develop the same feelings you have for her and she might drop some hints. It should play out naturally after.

Yeah we're doing a tonne of things together in the summer with some other friends, so I'm hoping maybe that'll help XD
Original post by JordanL_

Meh we tried.
Don't get me wrong, I still love talking to her and she still likes talking to me, so in all honesty I can't imagine it'll stop soon, and tbh I don't want to lose the connection because she's so focused on exams atm and really isn't focusing at all on guys, so maybe if I keep it going something could be possible in the future? I dunno just thinking out loud

I honestly know exactly how you feel and I've been in that exact situation. But you're going to put yourself through hell if you cling to this hope that something could happen in the future, because right now she doesn't feel that way about you and it hurts a lot. I don't know, maybe it's different for you, but in my experience, every time you talk to her you'll have this nagging thought that she doesn't feel the same way, and sooner or later it'll affect your friendship with her and it'll end bitterly.

I don't know, maybe you're better at dealing with this sort of stuff than I am, but I'd suggest you start talking to her less at the very least and start to accept that she might never like you as much as you like her. Holding on to unrequited feelings isn't healthy for you.
Hey guys,

Sorry for another pretty much just rant of a thread but I have nobody to talk to about this, not even my twin brother.

Basically a few months back I met a girl in year 11 who I almost immediately fell for (I'm in year 13) at a school production that was going on. Over the course of the practices and performances we became really good friends, and after it finished and ever since we've been messaging each other until late almost every single night, and over that time and the amount of just communication between us my feelings for her just deepened as I came to truly respect her and get to know her.

Now this culminated a couple of nights ago when I revealed to her the way I felt over message, and told her both how much I like her and also what I liked about her. Now she was completely taken by surprise, and handled it really well and tactfully, but she told me that she doesn't feel the same way, and it just hurts is all. I mean its the first time I've ever explicitly told someone that I have feelings for them, and these are the strongest feelings I've ever had for someone, and tbh I'm not sure how to go forward. Like it hasn't changed the frequency or comfort of talking to each other, it hasn't made it awkward or anything, and tbh I was kindov expecting that she wouldn't like me back but really hoping that this could be like a fairytale situation as I was seeing signs that she liked me back :/

So I'm still going to be messaging her all the time, but does anyone have any advice on how to move forward with it? Like should I just wait and see what happens or try and move on while still being best friends? I'm just in pain and confused I guess, so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated :smile:

Nothing you can do, she has been honest and told you she doesn't feel the same way so the choice is either carry on being just friends or cut off communication with her.
Err never heard of Mind break?

Please don't ban me pl0x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending