The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fkx
Why did you fail first time?

Personally,I would have taken more lessons but it depends on whether you feel confident enough with three hours before your test.

If your test is at the end of July, I'm sure you can take a few more lessons?

For speed, so I thought it would be better to take a couple of lessons just before the test
Original post by ohmydazzle
Hey, all the best of luck with you driving test!
I passed my test at Hither Green, first time and in the heavy rain last Wednesday! I was extremely nervous, but was confident with my driving abilities.

I had a really nice, chatty examiner- my instructor informed me beforehand that majority of the examiners are friendly and make you feel at ease, well apart from only one guy! My examiner actually gave me the parallel park manoeuvre but the road was too busy, so she told me to drive on and she would give another manoeuvre on another road - so I was dreading the reverse round the corner which was my least favourite. Funnily enough as soon as I pulled out into the road, it was empty but she got me to do a turn in a road on a narrow road which was on a hill - so it was a bit tricky!
She also made go on the A2 towards central London and drive through Blackheath, I had to do the Clifton and Yorkshire grey roundabout too. And I also had to creep through a width restrictor which is round the corner from the driving test centre
My test was at 1.35pm and the roads weren't too busy.
Just be aware of the numerous 20mph roads, plenty of narrow roads, speed bumps, width restrictors, mini roundabouts, a couple one way streets, crossroads and the big three roundabouts.
All the best of luck with your test, just try to drive with confidence :smile:

Thank you that helped!! I'm confused about the clifton and yorkshire grey roundabouts though, my instructor always takes me hither green. Maybe I go past it but idk the names of the roundabouts... lol but thank you for the tips!
Original post by Spock's Socks
Not long now!!!! :eek: how are you feeling about your test?

I feel quite good! Like I know there's no point me still taking lessons because I feel decent hopefully I just get a good manouvre lol
Original post by fkx
Hi guys,

I've been taking lessons since last August, have done about 30 lessons! My test is in the first week of June. I'm keeping the test but just increasing the lessons I have weekly. I used to do 1.5 hours every other week as my driving was good ,but now doing that twice a week in order to get as much practice I possibly can before my test.

My main problem is roundabouts; I get confused when to go, which lane to be in, when to signal, and when to leave! I also get so intimidated by other drivers who drive so fast. I haven't practised the manoeuvres very much, but I'm okay with the three point turn, hate doing the parallel parking (because I can't see properly, haha I'm too short), bay parking is okay and I've only done the reverse parking once which was a complete fail.

So I'm just worried about roundabouts and the manoeuvres; in terms of if I have enough time to "master" them before my test. My instructor has said I'm a good, confident driver, but I hesitate at roundabouts which could be a problem.

I really want to pass first time... my test is also at 1:35pm which I think is a good time? I don't want to cancel it, as I already rescheduled before; was meant to have a test back in April, but changed it to June in order to have more practice.

I've got another lesson tomorrow at 11am. Hoping to do half roundabouts and the other half manoeuvres.

Hey I dunno if I can be help, I'm usually good at physically showing things not describing lol.
Roundabouts are easy if you take it slow and not a burden
You should always signal from around 40meters because they can give you minors for incorrectly signalling, literally when you see the roundabout signs or just before it signal or so and get in lane.

I assume you already know what lane to choose when leaving at the second exit, third exit etc for example.
If you wanna leave the second exit for example, you should straight away signal after you pass the first exit. So check the mirrors after the first exit, quickly signal and leave the roundabout, its quite intense because you gotta do everything fast.

edit: forgot you said you don't know what lane to be in.
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B4GM3A/road-sign-primary-route-road-sign-at-a-roundabout-england-uk-B4GM3A.jpg
I looked up a random roundabout sign lol so I'll try explain exit by exit.

Where it says shap, you always choose the left lane, no matter what, you signal left from 40metres and stay in lane, (easiest exit, self-explanatory).

Second exit to Kenswick: Always stay in the left lane again, do not signal, it is very important to not signal as you will mislead other road users you are going to the first exit (Shap). So when you get the chance to get on, immediately stay to the left hand of the lane, not the middle not the right, always the left as you go about the roundabout, when passing the first exit, check mirrors, signal left and exit.

Now the third exit, to Penrith: Get into the right hand lane as its towards the right a fair bit. Signal right from 40metres as usual, when getting on the roundabout, stay all the way to the right and keep going, now when passing the second exit which will be Kenswick, quicly check mirrors, signal left and literally exit.

Fourth, same as third, exact same steps.

Dunno if i explained correctly, but good luck and try to practise alot..
(edited 7 years ago)
Drove to work with my mum in my car today so I could practice outside of my lessons today.

It went really well. No mistakes. :woo:
Anything that isn't driving in a straight line terrifies the f%ck out of me, I quit my driving lessons a year ago because just couldn't imagine ever trusting myself to drive safety without doing something stupid... also I get down about every little thing I do wrong and that ruins my concentration and causes further mistakes... I feel like if I drove on my own I would end up killing someone. :s-smilie:
Anyone know what cheap cars there are to insure, that actually look quite nice lol
I can't seem to find any good car that seems appealing...
Reply 227
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Hey I dunno if I can be help, I'm usually good at physically showing things not describing lol.
Roundabouts are easy if you take it slow and not a burden
You should always signal from around 40meters because they can give you minors for incorrectly signalling, literally when you see the roundabout signs or just before it signal or so and get in lane.

I assume you already know what lane to choose when leaving at the second exit, third exit etc for example.
If you wanna leave the second exit for example, you should straight away signal after you pass the first exit. So check the mirrors after the first exit, quickly signal and leave the roundabout, its quite intense because you gotta do everything fast.

edit: forgot you said you don't know what lane to be in.
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B4GM3A/road-sign-primary-route-road-sign-at-a-roundabout-england-uk-B4GM3A.jpg
I looked up a random roundabout sign lol so I'll try explain exit by exit.

Where it says shap, you always choose the left lane, no matter what, you signal left from 40metres and stay in lane, (easiest exit, self-explanatory).

Second exit to Kenswick: Always stay in the left lane again, do not signal, it is very important to not signal as you will mislead other road users you are going to the first exit (Shap). So when you get the chance to get on, immediately stay to the left hand of the lane, not the middle not the right, always the left as you go about the roundabout, when passing the first exit, check mirrors, signal left and exit.

Now the third exit, to Penrith: Get into the right hand lane as its towards the right a fair bit. Signal right from 40metres as usual, when getting on the roundabout, stay all the way to the right and keep going, now when passing the second exit which will be Kenswick, quicly check mirrors, signal left and literally exit.

Fourth, same as third, exact same steps.

Dunno if i explained correctly, but good luck and try to practise alot..

Hey, thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated.

I had a lesson today for 1.5 hours; he said my driving is good, but I need to control the car a little bit better i.e slowing right down. Did a few roundabouts and he said I improved a lot! So I was very happy with that, I think it's because I've been watching some youtube videos which does make things a bit clearer.

We did the reverse around the corner which was a fail because I can't see properly (as I'm too short) but towards the end, I think I was getting the hang of it. Definitely need more practice on all manoeuvres though.

I have another two lessons next week, and I'm hoping two lessons the week of my test plus an hour right before my test. Praying that will be enough to master roundabouts and all the manoeuvres.

Tonight, I'm going to watch videos on "show me tell me" and try to memorise those.
Good to hear!
Type in world driving on youtube. Watch his videos. So good.

Also just type show me tell me on youtube and again world driving UK. The guy with the voice like bear grylls or David Attenborough lmao. He's helpful. He does mock tests on youtube. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 229
Good to hear!
Type in world driving on youtube. Watch his videos. So good.

Also just type show me tell me on youtube and again world driving UK. The guy with the voice like bear grylls or David Attenborough lmao. He's helpful. He does mock tests on youtube. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's exactly the video I watch! I love Chris haha he is very helpful.Just hoping I now have enough time before my test! Thanks :smile:
Reply 230
I got a new car today. It is a second hand Suzuki Alto and it's 13 years old and I got it for £200 from an old man who was selling it since he's getting a mobility car. He gave me £30 back to fill up the car which was lovely of him :colondollar:

There's no problems with it other than some wear and tear and rust for its age. Its a bit cramped though and I didn't realise til I took it home and my gran and papa can barely fit into it so I may have to sell it and use the money to get my old Suzuki Ignis fixed instead because they have plenty of room in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a new car today. It is a second hand Suzuki Alto and it's 13 years old and I got it for £200 from an old man who was selling it since he's getting a mobility car. He gave me £30 back to fill up the car which was lovely of him :colondollar:

There's no problems with it other than some wear and tear and rust for its age. Its a bit cramped though and I didn't realise til I took it home and my gran and papa can barely fit into it so I may have to sell it and use the money to get my old Suzuki Ignis fixed instead because they have plenty of room in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's good :biggrin:
I'm looking for cars whenever I can :redface: I'm not planning on spending loads on a first car, just want something that gets me around that works for when I pass my test in August :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw that's good :biggrin:
I'm looking for cars whenever I can :redface: I'm not planning on spending loads on a first car, just want something that gets me around that works for when I pass my test in August :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have FB, try joining some local buy and sell sites. There are always people selling cars on there and I've had three cars from buy and sell sites on FB and never had a problem :smile: as long as you view the car in person, have a test drive and they have all the documents for the car, then its usually a good idea :smile:
If you have FB, try joining some local buy and sell sites. There are always people selling cars on there and I've had three cars from buy and sell sites on FB and never had a problem :smile: as long as you view the car in person, have a test drive and they have all the documents for the car, then its usually a good idea :smile:

Yeah that's not a bad idea, may have a look later to see if there's any in my area :redface: thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by John55
Anything that isn't driving in a straight line terrifies the f%ck out of me, I quit my driving lessons a year ago because just couldn't imagine ever trusting myself to drive safety without doing something stupid... also I get down about every little thing I do wrong and that ruins my concentration and causes further mistakes... I feel like if I drove on my own I would end up killing someone. :s-smilie:

Yeah same feeling here, like I can't imagine driving on my own lol I think it's normal to feel like this when you're a learner
Original post by _icecream
Yeah same feeling here, like I can't imagine driving on my own lol I think it's normal to feel like this when you're a learner

Yeah I'm gonna find it really strange/initially feel nervous when I have the first drive by myself :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im looking for a Hyundai I20 around here, but its so difficult >.<
Reply 237
Im looking for a Hyundai I20 around here, but its so difficult >.<

Best of luck for tomorrow! Let us know how you get on :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck for tomorrow! Let us know how you get on :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'll deffo need it :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 239
Thank you! I'll deffo need it :colondollar: :colondollar:

You'll be fine :smile: what time is your test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending