The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by futuremedic19
I agree, it's very expensive to learn. I've probably spent £600 already.

I just don't see right now that it is really worth the money when its not like I need a car to get to a job ect.. I think Im not gonna bother learning till like after uni tbh - public transport will get me through it ... but then again driving sounds pretty fun
Get the hazard perception test cd definitely, my driving instructor confused me about the test before i did it so I failed as I was scared of clicking too much and getting zero. Was only reason I failed theory first time but after getting a CD absolutely destroyed it second time haha!
Reply 342
Had a really good lesson today :h: it was the first lesson where I haven't actually stalled at all! :woo: was even more impressed about not stalling since I haven't had a lesson for about 3/4 weeks. yeah I know by now I shouldn't have still been stalling but y'all know me, I'm ditzy :colondollar: we done country roads and reversing. I've been having a bad week so it was great to see my instructor again, she's more like a friend most of the time :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Had a really good lesson today :h: it was the first lesson where I haven't actually stalled at all! :woo: was even more impressed about not stalling since I haven't had a lesson for about 3/4 weeks. yeah I know by now I shouldn't have still been stalling but y'all know me, I'm ditzy :colondollar: we done country roads and reversing. I've been having a bad week so it was great to see my instructor again, she's more like a friend most of the time :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good :biggrin: don't worry about the stalling thing, I had a couple of bad lessons this month where I was stalling even though I shouldn't really :colondollar: but I had a decent lesson on Monday though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do I guys think of learning by doing a crash course? I'm a fast learner and fairly practically adept. Would you guys reccoment these or lessons?
Reply 345
Original post by agahaga
What do I guys think of learning by doing a crash course? I'm a fast learner and fairly practically adept. Would you guys reccoment these or lessons?

I'd personally recommend lessons, even if you are a quick learner as there's a lot more than just driving knowledge that you need. Lessons would help you gain confidence and more time to work on your weaknesses and also what you learn would stick more with lessons I personally think. I would only recommend a crash course if you really had to pass quickly for whatever reason and had maybe had some lessons or driving experience beforehand.

Everyone is different though so if you do fancy doing a crash course then look into it. Good luck with your driving with whatever you choose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my test tomorrow.

I'm kinda terrified ****
Reply 347
Original post by Midnightmemories
Got my test tomorrow.

I'm kinda terrified ****

Best of luck for tomorrow :hugs: let us know how you get on! We're all rooting for you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my test tomorrow.

I'm kinda terrified ****

Good luck! :smile:
On my third lesson (SUPER early days) but I'm struggling with speed. I feel uber aware and simultaneously not aware enough of stuff around me so speeding up frightens the life out of me. Haven't gone faster than 20mph so far. Feel like I'm gonna hit something/someone and I'm too out of control. If I could drive for the rest of my life at 10mph I happily would lol

Obviously I find the clutch a gigantic piece of **** as well. I've actually only stalled once though so far and that was when I was stationary. My way of dealing is just laughing at myself though because I'm so nervous I'd cry otherwise.

A motorbike came around a blind corner of the housing estate we were on the other day (too narrow for more than 1 road user at a time) at ridiculous speed and nearly went into me and scared the **** out of me. Really knocked my confidence tbh. But usually I just laugh.
Got my test tomorrow.

I'm kinda terrified ****

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate113855
On my third lesson (SUPER early days) but I'm struggling with speed. I feel uber aware and simultaneously not aware enough of stuff around me so speeding up frightens the life out of me. Haven't gone faster than 20mph so far. Feel like I'm gonna hit something/someone and I'm too out of control. If I could drive for the rest of my life at 10mph I happily would lol

Obviously I find the clutch a gigantic piece of **** as well. I've actually only stalled once though so far and that was when I was stationary. My way of dealing is just laughing at myself though because I'm so nervous I'd cry otherwise.

A motorbike came around a blind corner of the housing estate we were on the other day (too narrow for more than 1 road user at a time) at ridiculous speed and nearly went into me and scared the **** out of me. Really knocked my confidence tbh. But usually I just laugh.

Aw you'll get more confident over time and get used to the speed, etc :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is driving that hard

*yikes*
Original post by Blackstarr
Is driving that hard

*yikes*

You may find it hard to begin with, then it gets easier and easier :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, I'm back from my test

And....

Spoiler

Reply 355

And....

Spoiler

Congratulations! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And....

Spoiler

Oh well done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed my second test! 2 days ago, forgot to update lol
Got 0 Faults and used a test cancellation finder to get an earlier date, was crazy happy lol

Right now looking for a car but quite difficult, I want an auto as I don't like manual in London, but finding a car with cheap insurance in itself is difficult as it is.

Tip: What i did for my second test is not tell anyone at ALL. That way if you do fail then you don't have to explain yourself and you won't receive any questions, neither the pressure is on you, you feel much more relaxed.
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Passed my second test! 2 days ago, forgot to update lol
Got 0 Faults and used a test cancellation finder to get an earlier date, was crazy happy lol

Right now looking for a car but quite difficult, I want an auto as I don't like manual in London, but finding a car with cheap insurance in itself is difficult as it is.

Tip: What i did for my second test is not tell anyone at ALL. That way if you do fail then you don't have to explain yourself and you won't receive any questions, neither the pressure is on you, you feel much more relaxed.

Oh well done :biggrin:

Yeah the insurance isn't exactly cheap :redface:

My practical test is next month, not many people who I know know, kinda wanna keep it quiet until I pass if that makes sense? Don't want the pressure of passing and if I don't then get questioned on it :redface: but I'm hoping I pass first time round though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And....

Spoiler

:woo: Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending