The Student Room Group

16 Year old - How can I find work experience/volunteering that's medical related?

Hey, I'm 16 years old and I'm looking to study medicine in the future, getting the grades isn't much of a worry at the moment but my main problem is I have no work experience which I have been told is a MUST if you're looking to study medicine. I'm also fairly shy when it comes to visiting places asking for work experience. Where can I start looking for work experience? Is volunteering just as good?
Depends where you volunteer but in most cases no. You should have both

My sister got in to study medicine last year and has work exp at GP, hospital and volunteer at crèche and care home. She also had 2 jobs I believe.

I managed to get some GP work experience in October at 15- you just need to pester them and apply everywhere.
Reply 2
My friend got into medicine for next year, she only volunteered at a hospital for a year, so I don't see why not
Reply 3
Volunteering can be just as good, since many medical schools understand how difficult it can be to get work experience in a hospital. I'd say approach a care home or hospice first and foremost, but also ask your parents and any friends if they know anyone that can set you up with work experience. Try sending a lot of e-mails to doctors asking (politely) for work experience, and you may find someone who will agree to it.

If you're really struggling, try get a part-time job or at least volunteer at a charity shop. Even though they aren't directly related to medicine, they can be very valuable experiences in terms of communicating with the public, etc.
You can apply to volunteer with the NHS and get a placement in a hospital. It's competitive though so it may take a while.
Edit: You can also get a part time job in a care home as something for example an assistant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Try the British Red Cross :smile:

You can volunteer as an event first aider and it's lots of fun and very interesting!

5 week advanced first aid course you must pass and then regular continuation training (although the qualification is only valid within the red cross)

You get to learn about Cpr, Anatomy, Safeguarding, Confidentiality, Patient documentation, Dressings, Medical conditions etc... its Paramedic based of corse but its really good experience for anyone who wants to go into a health career. And of corse you get patient contact from children to the elderly... the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

It added to my own success of getting a career in Health and I would still do it if I had the time :smile:
Original post by gapyear2018
Depends where you volunteer but in most cases no. You should have both

My sister got in to study medicine last year and has work exp at GP, hospital and volunteer at crèche and care home. She also had 2 jobs I believe.

I managed to get some GP work experience in October at 15- you just need to pester them and apply everywhere.

hey, could you tell me how to work in a care home? any advice?
Original post by Frightening231
hey, could you tell me how to work in a care home? any advice?

Just thought I'd let you know this might not be the best place to ask this - the thread is 5 years old so I very much doubt you'll get a reply here :redface:

But there is a whole Medicine forum on here, would be best to ask around there where people are more active!

Edit: this thread linked below may be useful to you!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6929328
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DavidL2000
Hey, I'm 16 years old and I'm looking to study medicine in the future, getting the grades isn't much of a worry at the moment but my main problem is I have no work experience which I have been told is a MUST if you're looking to study medicine. I'm also fairly shy when it comes to visiting places asking for work experience. Where can I start looking for work experience? Is volunteering just as good?

I'm a university Law Student (not the same I know aha but I had a similar issue) but I downloaded this app. It's called Young Work. They don't just do law placements, there were loads from like medicine to gaming to fashion etc. I needed a corporate law placement at the time and they didn't have one available, but the staff were really lovely and found me one. The app is free and so are their services so I really recommend them.

My other placements were via my college careers department (using alumni) and via a friends parent who happened to be a lawyer.
Original post by DavidL2000

best way is to ask your GP - I'm sure they can point you in the right direction as they'll have local knowledge
Look at your local hospital website - some areas have a scheme for aspiring medics - you might be lucky enough to be in an area where this is linked to a uni..

Volunteering in a hospital, care home, or other health setup - or in a crèche, school, etc.

Basically anything working with the public is useful. It’s harder to get specific health related experience at the moment due to covid. I talked about my part time job in catering (teamwork, communication, dealing with disgruntled customers) and sports coaching, and helping in an after school maths revision club at my med school interviews more than I talked about the small bit of medical work experience I managed to blag.

Latest

Trending

Trending